Lightweight backpacking tripod

LR Max

Local Oaf
Hi all,

I wanted to get some input on a backpacking lightweight tripod. Will be holding a Nikon D80 with a 35mm lens and maybe a video camera (has good COG, unlike, say a Canon XTI with a 300mm f/2.8 hanging off the front :elkgrin:).

But yeah, lightweight and compact are the key factors here. Willing to sacrifice some beef for these two points.

Does anyone have experience? Suggestions? material recommendations? Thanks!

Cody1771

Explorer
i wasnt originally going to reply as i have 0 experience with carrying a tripod while backpacking. but i have seen hiking poles that have a camera mount on the top. would this serve the purpose? ive also seen very light weight "stands" that screw to the bottom of cammeras, its not a tripod but when hiking there are lots of natural tripods like stumps. or maybe on of thos gorilla grip tripods?

Sirocco

Explorer
Hi all,

I wanted to get some input on a backpacking lightweight tripod. Will be holding a Nikon D80 with a 35mm lens and maybe a video camera (has good COG, unlike, say a Canon XTI with a 300mm f/2.8 hanging off the front :elkgrin:).

But yeah, lightweight and compact are the key factors here. Willing to sacrifice some beef for these two points.

Does anyone have experience? Suggestions? material recommendations? Thanks!

How about a bean bag combined with those natural objects? very light and versitile and would provide many more options than just the natural stuff.

I do have an old Manfrotto Digi tripod which is around 0.9kg and compact. Good because it does not cost much. If you wanted light you need to go carbon and pay the £££

G

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Go to the Manfrotto web page and check the specs to all their tripods. They have so many variations that you are bound to find one you like. The head where the camera mounts tends to be one of the heaviest parts. Good thing about Manfrotto is that you can get he head separate from the legs so you can build it to your needs.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a Velbon carbon fiber model that I like. I carry it on day hikes frequently, but don't do too much backpacking anymore.

The tripod itself is fairly light, but maybe not compact. As already mentioned, the mount will often be a large portion of the weight. I have a Kirk ball head which may be overkill for your needs.

Some things to think about beyond weight are the height and latching mechanism on the legs. Many lighter models are short, and for me that isn't a good trade off as I'm 6'4". If you aren't tall that may not be an issue. I don't like the legs that lock by twisting as it takes too long to set up/break down the tripod. It adds a bit of weight, but I prefer legs with flip latches.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Honestly, with backpacking the go light idea is worth it's weight in gold. a good carbon fiber tripod is priceless in most situations but if your going to be out for say 3-4 days then weight becomes an issue and you will want to choose your gear wisely. A Joby Gorilla pod that supports up to 11lbs with a ball head such as the following will do 99% of anything you might need with a little creativity. it is strong enough to hold a DSLR with 70-200 with little problem...

IMG_154448.jpg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._BHEN_Gorillapod_Focus_Ballhead_X_Bundle.html

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
I used this with a manfrotto 322rc head on a couple of backpacking trips and one international trip last year. Easy to pack and held the 5d with landscape lens nice and sturdy. Slick Sprint Mini II

slik-sprint-mini-ii-gm.jpg

Photo from dpphotojournal.com

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Love my Gitzo traveler and Really Right Stuff BH-30 head for travel and trekking. Light, packs small, is sturdy, but is a bit on the pricey side.

1154050541_PHFxR-S.jpg

1154047377_e4XWd-S.jpg

1154084002_86URT-S.jpg

1154044165_Vksna-S-1.jpg

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
hahaha nice setup Trevor. Pricey is an understantment but that setup should last you near forever, Awesome Combo. I have never cared for twist locks but thats a preference. I am pretty happy with my Manfrotto magfiber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste