Jerry Can Mount ?

Would anyone recommend where to mount a jerry can (or two) or rotopax on a 1997 defender NAS 90 soft-top with no roof rack?! Ideally on the rear of the vehicle without welding anything. Your ideas and photos (if there are any) would be fantastic!!

rijosho

Adventurer
Yup
http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33437&referrerid=5736

I just use ratchet straps. The nice thing about a 94 is that I have an internal roll cage that I can strap them to.

I never found anything to mount my 2 jerry cans on the SG tire carrier, so I stopped carrying them. I have an auxilliary tank though (as well), so I'm usually pretty good.

here is mine on my SafariGard (no longer in business) tire carrier, when I still carrier them.

http://www.d-90.com/forum/showpost.php?p=279903&postcount=1

Last edited:

maxingout

Adventurer
I don't know of a safe way to mount external jerry cans without decreasing approach and departure angle.

I have used Long Ranger fuel tanks on two of my Defenders, and they were very good. I also carried 5 jerry cans inside the Defender in a plywood box to the exact dimensions of the jerry cans when I was going long distances offroad. The external Long Ranger fuel tanks are much safer and are an exact fit on the Defenders that I have owned.

http://thelongranger.com.au/defenderlongrangefueltank.html

It costs a lot more to fit the long range fuel tanks, but it solves the fuel problem permanently and in a safe manner. And it doesn't take up any inside storage that is at a premium.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't carry petrol on the rear of a vehicle. I don't trust other drivers enough. Especially after being rear ended in Alabama in January.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of the long ranger tank, but don't like the loss of ground clearance. The long ranger for a disco sticks down several inches. (See below) I agree this is the best way to carry fuel though. I think plastic fuel cans on a rear swing away would be safe enough though, and could be substituted for water cans if necessary. If the carrier sits up above the bumper it wouldn't decrease the departure angle. Putting them inside takes up a lot of valuable space.

David

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

rijosho

Adventurer
I wouldn't carry petrol on the rear of a vehicle. I don't trust other drivers enough. Especially after being rear ended in Alabama in January.

Agreed. Even when I had mine mounted back there, they were almost ALWAYS empty on the road, and were primarily (if not EXCLUSIVELY) used to fuel up for the weekend at the last-possible gas station nearest the site where I'd be offroad for the rest of the weekend. I used them once on the highway at around 11 at night in unfamiliar territory and I filled up all tanks for the rest of the night as I was going to be driving the remainder of the night on rural roads with no 24 hour gas stations.

This is what I did to mount 4 Rotopax cans (2 water, 2 fuel) and could potentially work for you if you have a NAS ST spare tire carrier. I welded a bar to the carrier and then attached the Rotopax mounts to the bar. I only carry 4 cans while overlanding. They are also up high enough so they don't become a hazard if I ever get rear-ended by hillbillys in Alabama.

r2.jpgr1.jpg

czenkov

Adventurer
Inside

I have scepters that I put directly behind the front seats secured to the bulkhead bars. 2 water and 2 gas leave enough room between them for hard-case storage as well. They don't move. I once forgot to strap them down and ran on corrugated roads - they didn't move. Never had fume issues but I do crank the tops down - the wrench makes them good and tight. Don't like to carry them in the truck but it works. To get them out I simply fold the passenger seat forward in the Defender and they are easy to access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles