Symptoms of out of balance tires?

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Hey guys, just have a kind of interesting issue with the Disco. Before I had it taken in to be worked on it had a pretty noticable vibration from like 40km/h-80km/h in the steering wheel and appearing to come from the front of the truck near the wheels. After the front wheel bearings (which were totally shot!) were replaced, the vibe has been reduced alot, but still occurs between 55km/h-65km/h and only under power, coasting its much less noticeable. If I change into neutral at that speed it doesn't affect the vibe. Both CV's were rebuilt/greased, so i doubt the issue is there. All four of my UJ have been replaced from the stock ones, to ones with grease nipples along with the rear shaft being modified from the roto-flex to one with two UJ (so its not the donut). I have done the 'play' tests and there doesn't appear to be much movement. No clunk when shifting from N-R or N-D. There does not appear to be any noticeable play in any front steering components or their bushings. I know the mechanic himself road tested my truck and spent alot of time under it so its 'fair' to assume that if there was a UJ issue then he would have noticed or said something. I am going to pick up a grease gun tonight along with some grease to make sure all the UJ and slip shaft grease nipples get hit. Are there any else under the truck, i have heard ball joints maybe?

What would appear to be my main culprit is the tires on the front. They are quite worn down hankook dyna pro's. The rears are Michin LTX M/S, which have much more tread left on them. Both tires appear to be very old, are cracked..ect but hold air just fine. The rover mech said he believed the truck had gone through a period where it had sat for some time. Flat spots? Do these sound like the symptoms of out of balance tires? I doubt they have been balanced since new (if they were even bought new and this doubt as the spare is a Mich along with the rears). The vibe isn't HUGE or shakes the truck (the passenger can't feel it) but it comes through the steering wheel only at those speeds. On the highway, upto like 130km/h (80mph) its smooth. New tires arn't really an option at the moment, but I was thinking I would start by trying to get them balanced and go from there.

Thoughts?

Hugh166

Observer
You can and definitely should get them balanced and I'd probably rotate them as well and put the better tyres to the front

4x4x4doors

Explorer
To troubleshoot, rotate the rear tires forward and the fronts aft and see if that impacts the symptom. If not, then it's not tires/wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles