Flippac Hinge replacement...

aventurero

Hi, OK so, the other day when I was closing up the Flippac. The drivers side hinge (the top portion that fits into the top lid). Broke !!!!@@@@$$%%%. Need I say more!
Do any of you other owners have ideas for lifting the top and replacing the hinge or any other incite on Flippac ownership. When i got the unit last summer I was super psyched about it. Now, I am considering selling because, as we all know, customer service from Flippac is worse than a joke and some of the other design flaws/craftsmanship isn't up very high. The hinge breaking happened only a few hours after the fuel pump quit on my truck. Ideas, comments?
Thx
ps somewhere I heard/read a rumor that there was a bad batch of hinges. From looking inside the break I am not surprised. It is just cheap cast pot metal. Perhaps a redesign of the entire lid/hinge/lift configuration is in order. Why doesn't someone out there buy that portion of the business from Flippac and redesign and run the company properly? Great concept very poorly executed

Last edited:

Shurppa

Observer
I agree with you 100%. Flip pac needs a new home. If it was me in your shoes I would take it apart and have a new piece made. Ask around and find a good machine shop and have them copy it. Big pain in the *** but it would probably be quicker than dealing with Flip Pac. If and when my torsion bar breaks. I'm going to switch to a set of gears and a crank handle. I have seen a post were this has happened. and A.T. sent them a new hinge and he talks about replacing it.

Captm

Adventurer
Hinge fix

I recently purchased a used Flippac that had a broken hinge that was repaired by the previous owner. He removed it, had a new one cut from steel and replaced it. It is much stronger than the original aluminum part. It was quite easy (depending on skill level). The lid/bed area was lifted vertically from a tree branch w/ block and tackle after being unbolted. Parts were removed, taken to a metal shop to be fabricated and installed in reverse order with a backing plate installed along the inside of the lip.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Contact Diane at FRP or even Mario at AT, replacement OEM hinges can be had and is not all that complex really to repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles