One pot meals. -Cooking off of the bike

Stromgewehr

Freezer Bag Cooking

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I just joined today.

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto a method of food preparation for backpacking that I began to use for other outdoor activities (and now motorcycle trips). I bought this book from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Freezer-Bag-Cooking-Trail-Simple/dp/1411660315 . After some trial and error I developed a menu that I could shop for at the local grocery store and make my own meals that are easily hydrated with hot water.

These days what I like to do is spend a Saturday a couple of times a year making several meals that I keep on hand whenever I decide to take off for a day or several days. Like others have mentioned, I also like oatmeal for breakfast and tend to eat two packages so I put two packages in a freezer bag as a breakfast.

My cooking kit is comprised of either an alcohol stove or an MSR pocket rocket depending upon the trip, along with a titanium cookset and a spoon. Most of the time though I am just heating up water, since the freezer bag is the dish there's no clean up.

John

AkFly

Cooking off of the bike

If you have access to a dehydrator or an oven that can function as a dehydrator, BabelFish5’s recipes for DIY meals beat any dehydrated/freeze dried meal I have ever tried. Easy to follow recipes with clear concise videos.

http://hungryhammockhanger.com/

r80rt

Dirt Road Nomad
I use a Trangia mini alcohol burner, a canteen cup with a homemade lid, and Mountain house freeze dried meals. I carry water in a couple of G.I. pilot's flasks, Folgers coffee singles are always along too.

Last edited:
Folgers coffee singles are always along too.

I like to call them coffee doubles, sometimes triples. I like my coffee BLACK.

This is an awesome thread.
I have done some backpacking so when I got my bags for my bike I just took everything out of my pack and put it in my bags. I found a jet boil at work recently so that has replaced my alcohol stove/canteen cup cook method as it is much faster.

Cody1771

Explorer
does good ole' Craft Mac and Cheese count? take it out of the box and vacuum pack or zip lock baggy it. but in all honesty if i'm looking for a decent meal that does more than just get me by i usually refer to my hiking cook book, its all high calorie meals that are small, easy, and light, yet super tasty. i've got 2 of those plastic multi spice kits from MEC as well, can make just about anything taste good with that, especially if i'm able to get fish on my small backpacking rod.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Thanks for this! I'm doing 5-6 days off the bike on the beach!

List:
Backpack canister stove, cook set, utensils

Breakfast:
Oatmeal
Hot coco w powdered milk
Coffee
spam

Lunch:
Bread
Tuna/chicken
PB&J

Snacks:
Trail mix
fruit
hard cheese
summer sausage

Dinner:
Pasta
Olive oil
garlic
Potatoes
Mac n Cheese

That ought to do it!

Brian011952

My menu for a three-four day ride into nowhere and back would look something like this.
Breakfast
Instant Oatmeal for breakfasts
Belvita breakfast crackers
Coffe (the instant tea bag type)
Hot Cocoa

Lunch
Sardines,
Baby Clams,
Beef Jerky
Cheese
Granola

Dinner
Instant mashed potatoes
The first night is always a fresh meat, with onions and preseasoned,
All other nights meat is either not eaten or Spam (fried)
Backpacking meals work
MRE's work
A nice flask with a couple ounces of quality whiskey for every night on the trail,
dessert is usually Animal Cookies (race food)

My cooking kit is Boy Scouts kit from the early 60's
My stove is an MSR multi fuel backpacking stove (it runs off of gasoline)

The most important ingredient is water and spices,
I carry a minimum of 70oz of water for each day. Ususlly I can refill my water during the day,
I also carry a set of water purification pills and or a top of the line ceramic water purifier from MSR,
Spices, garlic, pepper, salt, etc. as you deem necesary,

That'll keep me running for days without a slow down and dinner the first night on the trail is always stupendous,

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have a sweet tooth, take a plastic bottle of honey. You can survive on honey and water. It goes on meat, veggies, breads, sweeten the oat meal, potato cakes, corn fritters, great in the coffee/tea. I use to drink a quarter to half cup before athletic events, anytime when extra energy was needed. :)

jkam

nomadic man
I used to make a tuna noodle dish with egg noodles, tuna a can of cream of mushroom soup and some frozen peas.
Heat noodles, drain, add tuna, soup and peas bring back up to heat add some spices like garlic a little cayenne and black pepper and it's good to go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles