One pot meals. -Cooking off of the bike

lqhikers

Adventurer
pancakes

have done a lot of bicycle camping,on long trips most mornings oatmeal,of course coffee,just
dump grounds in water boil let set drink,
we did a lot of pancakes also made many extra in morning add peanut butter,honey,make enough for lunch,
more peanut butter,honey,or if available flour totillas with peanut butter ,honey.

not food but did learn to use wine bladder (out of box wine) as a pillow,just blow up part way and
wrap in tee shirt.also as stated on previous post to carry water in.

it was critical to load up in morning to get our "motors" running dinner would almost always be pasta
with what ever we could buy,pick during the days ride.

traveling by bicycle you could never over eat !

Les,lqhikers

KLRTim

Observer
I was camping In Tasmania up the East Coast at St Helens when a lovely Backpacker came along and set up his hammock right in front of me.
His name is Mike.
He was carrying a pack of Pita bread , salami , some cheese, he also had instant pasta. I now also buy fresh tomatoes , eggs, lettuce, cheese and assorted salamis, as well as small cans of tuna and Salmon in sauce, sardines, on the odd occasion I will buy steak fresh or Ham steaks.
I use a jetboil system with a very small frypan as well as a one liter thermos, excess boiled water in the morning is saved in the thermos so i can have a cuppa soup or noodles and fresh bread or roles for lunch.

Just thinking out loud PS Great Topic :)

Oakbluffcamper

Observer
My buddy made pancakes for us two mornings on a Colorado dual sport ride. I had a weeks worth of food in my saddle bag, only a couple of mountain house type meals. look around the Walmart there are other meals you can put together. When we backpack every ounce counts (freeze dried) but on a motorcycle we can carry a little more weight. Space is a bigger problem. I put my meals in zip lock bags marked lunch and dinner, just grab one and go. Its kinda fun to figure out your meals.
046-DSC_0314.jpg
By the way you can rip the top off your oatmeal pack and pour your hot water in it and mix it. No dirty bowl. BUT you better be wearing your thick glove ha ha.

Last edited:

Traveling250

I don't like dehydrated meals. Travel long enough, and no matter how much you pack you're going to run out, and making actual meals just tastes better and is a nicer way to travel. I have a Coleman Sportsman and Aluminium cookset.

Meals are usually simple things, pasta or rice as a base with whatever veggies (and/or meat/protein) is available locally. Seasonings for flavor. It doesn't always work out as I think it will, but I haven't killed myself yet.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a Good to Go convert. Read the bio of the founders. One of the most celebrated chefs in the US discovered backpacking and boom....dehydrated foods that are actually wonderful to eat are now available.

http://goodto-go.com

sjxj

Observer
I'm a Good to Go convert. Read the bio of the founders. One of the most celebrated chefs in the US discovered backpacking and boom....dehydrated foods that are actually wonderful to eat are now available.

http://goodto-go.com

I've been wondering about these for a while. On the site it looks like they only have 4 meals available - accurate?

My go-to's have been the Mary Jane's Farm meals. Pretty dang good.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've been wondering about these for a while. On the site it looks like they only have 4 meals available - accurate?

My go-to's have been the Mary Jane's Farm meals. Pretty dang good.
They have more on route. I'm sure very soon they'll offer breakfast and maybe even desserts. The flavor is head and shoulders above anything else out there.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
While I don't ride a bike, I do a lot of backpacking so I'm familiar with one pot meals. I bring oatmeal, instant grits, instant potatoes, Annie's Deluxe Mac and Cheese and various bagged meats such as tuna packets, chicken jerky, beef jerky. All of this can be made from simply boiling water. I break down the boxes of Annie's Deluxe and repackage them into Ziplock bags to save space. The Annie's is not only WAY better tasting that anything from backpackers pantry or the like, but also cheaper and readily available at most grocery stores.

SheepnJeep

When I'm on a moto trip, I usually dress like Bruce Willis in Diehard

Then I walk up to people and take whatever food they have. Works great at restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Don't say anything, just smirk.

Oh, and I chew on coffee singles for a quick pick-me-up.

DangerAbe

Roamer
My personal favorite bike/camp meal is cheap salsa mixed with canned chicken (like a tuna can) served on tortillas. All non-perishable/packable. You basically just need a heat source, pot/container and a can opener. Use the tortillas to clean the pot=no dirty dishes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles