Thread: One pot meals. -Cooking off of the bike

If you have a food dehydrator you can prepare meals and then dehydrate them. The only thing I've done is spaghetti, it's kind of trial and error to figure out how much water to add but it works.

Chad

Mostly Mountain House, or dried foods...maybe some of those tuna packets and crackers...nothing too fancy...something I only have to boil water for...as I don't like to actually have to "cook", or like to carry perishables on the bike. Practice the K.I.S.S. method as much as possible while traveling on two wheels, carry too much food means weight...too much weight equals bad....

Also grab something to eat as I refuel...or stop at a grocery store if I know I am stopping soon and grab a steak, go over to the soda machine and toss some ice in doubled up plastic bag to keep the the meat cold, while heading out of town.

The Great State of Denial (SC if you really want to know)
    If you're sensitive to sodium watch the content in dehydrated foods, most of them are high; it also means you'll probably need to drink more water. That said, I buy some of those cup of noodles/soup/pasta from the local EarthFare and repackage them using the vacuum packer or just dumping them in a Ziploc bag. You can get low sodium varieties if you look for them (I don't like salty foods even though I'm not salt sensitive). Throw in some fresh green onions or whatever else you have on hand and some of them aren't that bad.
    05 Tacoma TRD, SR5, V6, etc
    1978 VW Westfalia
    2007 Suzuki DRZ400s

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. -Calvin

While on a trip I find I usually eat one meal a day out since a big part of the adventure for me is finding good local foods and restaurants...

I make every effort without being religious about it, to eat natural and whole foods, organically raised if possible. On the other hand I will eat a Big Mac if need be....I don't miss many meals....

I will carry several breakfasts of a plain instant oatmeal (the instant packaged ones are mostly sugar) , nuts, usually pecans since I live in pecan country, and dried fruit of some kind, often cranberries or blueberries. I mix these together in ziploc bags per meal. I like to add a few tablespoons of dried soy milk....I carry a container of it and it keeps really well and immediately dissolves when put in water... (I use Better Than Milk brand)

When I make hot water for coffee in the morning with my Primus stove, I make enough to fill the oatmeal bowl with enough water to soak and hydrate the oatmeal. It is done and ready to eat in just a couple minutes.

I always carry a few things to make a meal if needed. I have a couple foil envelopes of dried chicken noodle soup, a couple foil packs of tuna salad, a couple of Spam slices. I carry good crackers, a few bagels, a pack of wheat tortillas, fresh ground peanut butter, a bottle of honey. Several high energy bars, some dried fruit and nuts.

I ride a sidecar rig so I do have more room than most but I try to travel as light as I comfortably can. I have gotten away from ice and refrigeration of any kind. More of a hassle then I like to deal with and I have learned to drink warmer water, etc. I do have a Aerostich cooler cover for a bottle that you wet and when you are in the wind it cools your drink down. I like it. I don't drink alcohol so there is no problem keeping beer cold, etc.

Living near Mexico in a Hispanic culture, as well as spending a lot of my time in Latin America, I eat as is pretty customary there.
    Lots of fresh onions, garlic, jalapeño peppers, red and green chile powder, etc., tortillas, eggs and some meat and fish. Lots of fresh fruit.I like cheese too but in Mexico,...not so much as there isn't as much flavor in their cheeses.

I find this way of eating perfect for my camping habits and everything I make has some of those ingredients, sometimes all of them. Dried re-fried beans and Rice Sides work well to repackage and make as part of a meal.

I use a small spray bottle of vinegar water mix to spray on whatever needs cleaning, even on fruits and veggies to sanitize. Or my ever present bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint castile soap and a dish washing sponge cut in half.

When traveling in Mexico or anywhere in Latin America I eat out more often as I absolutely love the foods there. But I still eat my main meal in the morning or middle of the day and lightly at night....

Mostly I try to eat simply on the road and not have cooking be a large event...Lots of cold food too. In Latin America I eat a lot of street food...just make sure it is being cooked as I watch.

I just learned on my last trip that a bladder from a box of wine makes a really good little water vessel for camp...takes up little room and you can carry it in a plastic shopping bag back from the spigot! My friend who does still drink, brought one along and I was impressed with it. I proceeded to find one in a campground dumpster so have one of my own now. hehehe
    Actually I carry a 2 1/2 gallon jug of water on my sidecar so I am usually set up fine.

Hope this makes sense and might be helpful to someone....
    Happy trails...
    Brian
    Rathackman

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” Mark Twain

1980/83 GL1100 w/ Ural sidecar

http://manywheelsbrian.blogspot.com/

Thanks Cabrito....you may be able to tell I give my groceries a lot of attention...
    Brian
    Rathackman

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” Mark Twain

1980/83 GL1100 w/ Ural sidecar

http://manywheelsbrian.blogspot.com/

Default Freezer Bag Cooking

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I just joined today.

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto a method of food preparation for backpacking that I began to use for other outdoor activities (and now motorcycle trips). I bought this book from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Freezer-Bag-Co.../dp/1411660315 . After some trial and error I developed a menu that I could shop for at the local grocery store and make my own meals that are easily hydrated with hot water.

These days what I like to do is spend a Saturday a couple of times a year making several meals that I keep on hand whenever I decide to take off for a day or several days. Like others have mentioned, I also like oatmeal for breakfast and tend to eat two packages so I put two packages in a freezer bag as a breakfast.

My cooking kit is comprised of either an alcohol stove or an MSR pocket rocket depending upon the trip, along with a titanium cookset and a spoon. Most of the time though I am just heating up water, since the freezer bag is the dish there's no clean up.

John

Default Cooking off of the bike

If you have access to a dehydrator or an oven that can function as a dehydrator, BabelFish5’s recipes for DIY meals beat any dehydrated/freeze dried meal I have ever tried. Easy to follow recipes with clear concise videos.

http://hungryhammockhanger.com/

I went to the ADZPCTKO about a month ago (thinkin' about doin' the PCT next year) and ran into the author of this book.

http://www.onepanwonders.com/
    http://pct77.org/adz/

Seems to be a favorite of many PCT and AT thru-hikers right now. And, judging by the recipes offered up on the website, the book looks to be worth it.
    Randy Welch
    K6ARW

I use a Trangia mini alcohol burner, a canteen cup with a homemade lid, and Mountain house freeze dried meals. I carry water in a couple of G.I. pilot's flasks, Folgers coffee singles are always along too.
    Last edited by r80rt; 06-18-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast