Chevrolet ends production of the Avalanche

haven

Expedition Leader
Chevrolet announced that 2013 will be the last model year for the Avalanche. More than 500,000 of the four door lifestyle vehicles have been sold since the Avalanche's introduction in 2001.

11_che_ava_gal_ext_large_01.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm glad it's gone. Too ugly and weird.

Hopefully GM will sell more 2500HD's. More good used 2500HD's trucks for the rest of us eventually.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Henry, I think you have an awesome :Wow1: avalanche! With the proper mods and after-market stuff you can really get a cool looking and functional vehicle. Look at the Hummer for example. I have seen videos of people in H2s that have had engine failure driving through puddles that your children would not be scared to play in. But here on Expo we have seen some really cool and extremely functional Hummers. Another example is my own truck. When I bought it everyone told me that it was ready for the scrap yard, and they were probably right. They laughed even more when they saw the canopy that I put on it. But in the end I now have a functional, and for me great truck, even though I am sure there are lots of people that would call it ugly...... Cheers Chilli.:)

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Personally I am bummed that GM is pulling the plug on the Avalanche. I have always liked the versatility of them, and while I have never owned one, I did always drool over the 3/4 ton version with the 8.1L big block motor.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Personally , I like the form and function. The 2500 big block Av is a real brute. With a place to plant the tires it can move anything. That power is at a cost though. Mileage in the single digits it a hard pill to swallow. Still would be fun as a weekend toy for pulling the trailers.

I really like the enclosed back. The ability to fold in the back of the cabin and have an 8' bed on a shorter wheelbase. The fender storage boxes are wonderful. On my 1500 the coil sprung four link rear works very well. With such a large number produced and parts that crossover to other models, the availability is really good as well as cheap. Large four door cabin. Durable drivetrain.

Every vehicle has its pros and cons. This one has been acceptable to me. I hope mine lasts a very long time. Maybe by the time I need to make a change someone else will build a similar rig? I don't need a 3/4T beast, but I do need more than Honda. I need a big truck bed, but not all the time. Make me a swiss army knife of a truck :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Meh, no big loss with the Ave being discontinued. Once they discontinued the 2500 series Ave there wasn’t much use for one anymore. They make great tow rigs but the 1500 series Ave is pointless when crew cab shortbeds can be had for less money.

At the moment there are also no solid production plans for a next gen Tahoe/Yukon either. There is a good chance the Chevrolet SUV line up will look like Equinox,Traverse then straight to Suburban. With the size and cost of a Traverse, lack luster body on frame SUV sales and increasing CAFE standards, I could see how the Hoe/Yukon will be discontinued. Even if they live on, they will probably be getting Independent Rear Suspension like the 1500 series Subs are supposed to get.

Just in case, we sold our 2004 Hoe Z71 and have a ’12 on order…..a Mocha Z71 with cashmere leather and center row bucket seats. The current GMT900 Tahoes could be the end of an era! If you want a new one, get one now. I would rather be spending money on a new Power Wagon but the Tahoe will be the wife’s ride...so she wins.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Your going to see all the major car manufactures start to till off the big boys... With the new MPG bs going into effect in 2015 its going to get bad for us that love off use trucks.
I know Nissans even thinking about killing the Frontier and stick with the Titan as its only truck. They figure both get the same MPGs so why build 2. Ive heard talks that the newly redesigned Colorado will be killed off in 2015..
ITs all about the total manufactures MPGs as a whole.. So when you have a few cars / trucks that keep the MPGs low.. One has to go..

With Chevy.. Why would they need 2 trucks? You know the Silverado isnt going anywhere.. Oh and get ready for some WEAK pulling too.. Ive heard rumors of 8 speeds...

Japes

Displaced Texan
I always wanted a Avalanche with the 8.1 and a BDS lift I think they look awesome, espically in red with black cladding.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Whaaaat??? A DODGE for Larry?? I never would have thunk it! I'm sure you'll enjoy the new Tahoe too...

Hehe, heck ya! I’m not brand sensitive as long as it is a GM, Chrysler, Toyota or Nissan I’ll own it.:) We just happen to have all GM vehicles and one German car right now. The wife is looking forward to another Tahoe. She has been driving a 335xi the past two years and ready to move back to a Tahoe once the lease is up on the car. The 335xi is fast and handles well it is just gimicky and uncomfortable. Glad it is a lease and not a purchased car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles