Car and Driver tests diesel pickups

Saiyan66

Adventurer
It still cracks me up that comments like "needs more power under the hood" can be applied to a diesel that makes 350hp and 800ft/lbs of torque. Really people you don't need to drive 75mph UP the grades with a 15k lb trailer in tow. If you happen to slow down a little bit its really ok. These trucks produce more power than most medium duty trucks these days and yet the reviewers are still complaining. When will it stop? I can totally see the fuel mileage gripes about the Ram, but honestly Im getting 16mpg combined right now in mine empty so maybe they need to lay off the skinny pedal a bit.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
^^ I didn't read it as "needing" more power, I believe they said it needed more power (or needed to get it to the ground better) to compete with the GM/Ford, which did a better job with similar power.

I recently sold my 2002 F350 7.3 PSD (275hp/525tq) 6spd manual and I never felt the need to add more power to it. I always felt that it would pull any hill I came to pulling/hauling the load at the highest/safest speed. I drove it in just about every state west of the Mississippi, Alaska, Canada and to the tip of Baja and it's normal weight was a 3500lb cab-over camper with the occasional car trailer towing whatever vehicle I had at the time. It just worked, I couldn't ask for more than that and I never understood the "need" most other owners had for more power.

I now own the '07 Dmax/allison (360hp/650tq) in my signature and it has amazing power and puts that power to the ground very effectively. I have not had the chance to "work" it like I did my Ford yet (sold the camper as well) but the little bit I have used it to tow/haul things, it had done so effortlessly. GM may have other issues with their truck, but the duramax/allison combination is pretty well thought out and seems to do a very good job putting that power to use (even though it is rated with the least torque of the other two in the comparison).

Jack

EXP-T100

Adventurer
X2 i am right there with you Saiyan66
The mileage gripe means nothing with a new diesel, we all know that improves some and all that power mean Zero if you cant stop which the ram did the best "The brakes hauled this truck-and-trailer rig down from 70 mph in a best-of-test 315 feet".

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not so sure that C&D is a credible source of information. Do any of those JOURNALISTS actually know anything about cars. I stopped reading C&D years ago.

How deos a Ford have not enough brakes? Wrong pads? Fords are known for thier brakes. LOLz.

Do they even know how to test trucks?
Skid Pad= Fail
0-60=Fail
Slalom= Ok, I'll allow the slalom.

Seriously? Skid Pad? Bwah Hahahhahahha. I'll be sure to explain to my boss that we need to test Kenworths and Peterbuilts on the skidpad next time we need to decide on trucks! Maybe Cosmo or Seventeen will review these trucks in their magazines for us?

Last edited:

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
It probably means little more than Chevy took out the most advertising for the year in the magazine ;)

I find the same with most magazines. Especially the gun rags. "This new Remington something or other is the best firearm in the world to take everything from bunnies to cape buffalo!" (turns page, brand new full 2 page Remington ad). Most car/truck/motorcycle mag's are no different.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, someone please count adds for us.

I think I'll stick to what Haliburton (Ford), CSX (GM), and my local FD's (Dodge) say about thier trucks.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A long term test measuring reliability & serviceability is in order.
Performing repairs on the V8's has got to be challenging at best.

That being said,I recently rode in a 2012 3500 Duramax and it sure was quiet and I liked that tranny.:)
Coincidentally,a company has released a skidpan for Chevy's DEF tank.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The Chevy is going to need more than just a DEF skidplate if you are going to take it off road. Those things look like a pregnant basset hound with how low the frame hangs down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles