What should I do with this Trailer? Take it to Antiques Roadshow?

stwFJ

This is my first post! Hello! I've been offroading my FJ Cruiser ALOT since I purchased it 2 years ago. I was looking for ideas about the suspension of my trailer on FJcruiserforums and was directed here!

I just purchased this trailer for $200. As of now, it's just a general trailer that any homeowner might need. Eventually, I'd like to build it into some type of camping/recreation/mild wheeling trailer. I hauled some furniture today and it was rocking left to right (driver to passenger). I looked at the suspension and found that it has some type of OLD suspension. The driver side piece circled in orange is falling off and the passenger side isn't even there! I'm guessing this is my problem. Is there any way to get replacements for these? Also, does anyone know what this trailer was in a previous life or how old it might be? Any cool ideas of things I should do to it?

trailer3.jpg
trailer2s.jpgtrailer1e.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That looks to me like a torsion arm connector? predecessor to the shock on early cars.
The axle looks like something from the front of a model a ford. does it have king pins on the end?
The trailer looks nice "a lot of coats of paint on the frame though"

If it is solid and tracks straight weld on some shock mounts and short shocks It should solve the sway problem.
If it does not track straight a new axle may be in order.
let us know the outcome!

stwFJ

I'm not sure. It appears to be a front end and the wheels were welded straight. I'm thinking about trying to fit a set of struts in there somehow.

biskit

Adventurer
Hi stwfj ! hope i pronounced that right :Wow1: I have a 1928 Essex that had an axle like that, which i trashed for a Jaguar independent system. The best thing to do is the same, swap for a modern setup. Look at the gear on this site for good ideas, you will soon find the way to get it sorted.:REOutIceFishing:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles