DIY Trailer - Build/Fabrication Questions

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I ordered the axle today. Its 67" face to face. I hope I got the measurements right as the guy that ordered it was really depending on me to know what I wanted. The wheels have a 5.25" offset and I plugged in 3.5" as you suggested Bob and with the frame at 4' I came up with 66" needed for face to face. All the dealer had in stock at the moment was 67" so I ordered it as I'm working with a little time crunch. I measured my truck and the rear track should be really really close. I'm a little worried that the axle will be TOO long now. Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions?

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Hub face to hub face on mine is about 58" or so, but mine is towed by a 04 runner and I wanted my trailer a few inches narrower than my rig. Your number add up good, u should be fine. So u are going with the solid axle and leaf springs? Would u still like the trailing arm plans for future?

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Yeah, I decided on the solid axle but definitely want the plans for the trailing arm. I'll tackle it once my fab skills are up to par :)

Like you said, wish I was closer!

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I sold the old trailer today to a member in Phoenix so I made the best use of my time down there and bought some matching Tacoma rims with worn BFG rugged trails. I had to get a set of 4 even though I only needed 2, Craigslist here I come!

I also stopped by Sierra Expeditions and talked with Will for a bit, thanks again for your help and advice today. I cant say enough about his operation, he didn't have everything I was looking for in stock so he ordered it for me and is covering the shipping, I'm 2 hours away so it should hurt'em too bad. What a stand up guy! He also cut lunch short to entertain my questions about Tacoma lifts and upgrades. The brief education was invaluable. Thanks again Will.

I went hunting around several off road and trailer shops (5 to be exact) and never found YJ spring hangers and shackles. Some of the looks I got at the trailer shops when I walked in with YJ springs and explained what I wanted to do were entertaining. It felt like I had lobsters coming out of my ears.

Anyway, it looks like I'll stop by the shop I found the springs at to get scrounge for the rest of the hardware I need or poke around the net some more. If anyone has a good source I'm all ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior