Which gas grill?

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Looking for some options for bbq grill- I have the Snow Peak charcoal , but looking for one to which I can just take to a short camping/ picnic trip without having to mess around with the charcoal
ash disposal and the time required to get it going.
I was looking into the CADAC, but from what I read, it does not provide enough heat to char the meat which I like.
looked into the Weber but found it too big to my liking, hence this Thread.
Pour it on!

Honu

lost on the mainland
Curious also :)
From working in tourism on boats a lot I know foil is your friend :)
used to watch the cooks use foil on every part and they would just bunch it up throw it away almost no mess :)
I use foil to line everything messy for easier cleanup now :)

I have been curious about the volcano collapsible model ? Seems to do a few things and one of those items most all seem to love them once they have them and can use a wok or do Dutch oven with it ?

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
I can get the Cadac pretty hot with the griddle in place but not generally with the 1LB propane canisters - I need to use a bulk propane tank which seems to force out more propane. Same question you have - in pursuit of an ideal LP grill that's compact and will "really" sear a steak. In the field I use a Lodge griddle right on my LP stove and get it super hot then cook away - still not what we seem to be looking for but works pretty well. Won't char the meat as there is no flame touching the meat but not a bad option. Probably something you've already tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaW6h95hvbo

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Problem I have with griddle cooking is dealing with the hotspot right over the burner- allows you to cook 1 maybe 2 small steakes at a time- too much fiddling moving them around if you cooking for more . Love
my Snow Peak bbq grills(thanks Wade and EE) and wish someone would come up with a quality LP grill -maybe hybrid between the Partner Steel stove and the Snow Peak charcoal bbq box..
Any takers?

Honu

lost on the mainland
Izzy do you have a IGT setup ? or just the grill box?

I really which SP made the gas grill I had seen in pics :)

had been thinking of a way to fit one into the IGT nicely and decided I am going to give this one a try (bought it tonight)
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...2/Connoisseur_Series/Trailmate/trailmate.html
I am familiar with Magma being a boater ;) and the nice thing is you can get parts easy for them any and all parts !
link to the company page

only downside is most of their grills are about 10750 BTU this one is only 7500 ? but still better than the coleman and other cheaper ones ?

has links to the specs and dimensional drawings parts etc.. on that page
but here is a link to dimensions
http://www.magmaproducts.com/A10-801_TrailMate_Dimension.pdf

the body is 12.25 x 9 5/8
since its 12.25 in width it will drop into the frame ? since the frame needs about 12.75
hoping the regulator can kinda swing in first then the rest drop in

I never BBQ with the lid on ? so my plan is unscrew the lid and get some L channel material and make my own rest for the IGT area
drill it and screw it onto the ends and it should be a almost perfect fit :)
the lid ? hoping I can just drill to holes in the top use the existing handle like a top on and rest it on when/if needed ? again not a big deal for me

and whats nice is it will fit a standard width IGT unit so putting the stainless tray set on each side maybe ? not sure how hot it gets compared to the BBQ box ? but since it is a standard width everything else should fit and besides the small 1 inch or so lip on the 3 sides ? not a big deal figure I will just stick it to the right so the lip is away from me and the valve toward me ? dont think the small lip will be a issue ? if it is can cut it off I guess ?

the regulator should be easy enough to get to since it pivots ? you can also get a true LP kit with new regulator which has a nice end type dial :) or get a HP hose adapter for bulk so lots of options to fuel it

I had thought of doing a double wide
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...eries_BBQ/Catalina/A10-1218LS/a10-1218ls.html
and mount it sideways so its facing me again lid off style and taking up two spaces wide but facing me width way ? could be a cool option also
but I like the idea of the above one and since its one wide I could get two of these if need be and have the flexibility over one wider one although the wider one kicks out 12,500 BTU take up two spaces leaving the side open for easy to adjust and ignite the burners ? even though the one below is more BTU not sure the taking up 2.5 spaces would be worth it ? also the price !! but this one could be a super cool 2unit gas grill

this one
http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...Stainless/dp/B0049MFVF4/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
kicks out 18000 BTU :)
that could be a pretty cool unit :) would take up just over 2 units though ? but that in a 4 unit IGT with a gigapower LI stove you would have a monster power house of a cooking setup

one other thought come up with a drop in box and you would not have to mess with the hoods at all on the above ? since it can mount with bolts to the bottom it could be part of the drop in frame ? would be pretty easy and strong to come up with something like this and no drilling into the body etc..
going to look at that idea of mounting also if this way you would take up a extra half space ? not a big deal and have the hood in use if you want
again notice how they have many types of mounts that bolt into the bottom on the web site the boat ones we used to use had rail mounts ! and were very solid !

anyway lots of rambling just got my brain going tonight ;) the one nice thing about the first one is at $175 ? not a big amount the double wides with infrared are about $400 they also have non infared models but only about 11000 BTU in those

also I like the low nothing sticking up everyone join in from all sides kinda thing and would have a hard time cutting up a $450 grill :) but then again would be cool and custom

hope my long winded rambling helps someone
sorry I am bad at grammar :)

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Honu, I have the IGT set up- already crowded- 2 bbq boxes, dual burner set up and cutting board-
I just keep switching as I need. it will be interesting to see what you come up with with the Magma. Keep us posted

Honu

lost on the mainland
my grill arrived today :)
got to say about what I thought it would be and is super nice quality
also it has legs like the baja burner so you can use it on a picnic table etc..

going to start a thread on it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77054-Snow-Peak-IGT-tweaks-a-gas-grill-amp-more
hey not sure where you live in PHX ? but if ya wanted to see it in person PM me

cant wait to try cooking on it :) might go get a couple steaks for tomorrow night and try it out that will be the big thing !! but sure it will do fine :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles