Hot water shower quick connects, what are you guys using?

sethro80

Adventurer
Hello everyone.

I am installing a hot water shower on my 96 fj80 and was curious to see what you guys have used for quick disconnects. The heat exchanger will stay mounted to the 80 and am going to run the in and out water lines to the front ARB. Do you guys have any pics or suggestions?
Thanks
Sethro

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Here's our setup. Yoshi thinks its the best mod i've ever done to the rig :D

We run the Helton Heat Exchanger from Kurt at Cruiseroufitters. Been running 2 years without one problem whatsoever. I use the stock 12 volt cigarette pump that came with it and KISS *(Keep it Simple Stupid) with a 5 gal NATO can from AJIK Overland Exchange.

img9384m.jpg

The hot side of the heater (after the valve) so i can adjust the heat from the in cab climate control (no you dont have to run the fan).
img9389u.jpg

img9398.jpg

The disconnects are Ace Hardware garden hose brass versions. I've been told you can get hydraulic versions that are even better, but much more costly. These have held up fine, and until they give up the ghost they'll stay on.
img9418j.jpg

In use.. at 17 degree weather.. just remember to pull the pump out afterwards :D
img1980q.jpg

We use a shower mat made by ExpeditionOps, that rolls up and stuffs into our Trasharoo.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I use pressure water disconnects from any standard industrial supply/hose outfit... I have them male/female on each end so that I can't mix up the hot and cold side of the heat exchanger. The Helton kits now come with a bumper mount bracket and barbed fittings, as the pressure in the fresh water side is so low, quick disconnects are in most case overkill as they hose doesn't pop off of the barbed connection. Cover it with a standard vacuum cap when not in use and you have a simple clean mounting option.

alia176

Explorer
I use a pair of simple garden hose connectors. I know, I know, it's low tech stuff but they'll never break! Given my frequency of use, I kept it simple. Going on four years w/o issues.

Water connections and 12v power supply on the passenger frame rail
100_2189.JPG

Blue heat exchanger on top of the passenger frame rail.
100_2190.JPG

toymaster

Explorer
I have a question for those who use their showers with a 1/4" QD. The hose that is used is usually 3/8", do the 1/4" QD affect the flow in a noticable way? Hopefully, I'm about to get the shower setup Kurt provides....wondering. 3/8" QDs are of course larger and not as common but it seems they would not affect the flow.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have a question for those who use their showers with a 1/4" QD. The hose that is used is usually 3/8", do the 1/4" QD affect the flow in a noticable way? Hopefully, I'm about to get the shower setup Kurt provides....wondering. 3/8" QDs are of course larger and not as common but it seems they would not affect the flow.

I've not noticed any flow issues in my personal setup or the many we've done with QD's. Maybe with extremely long lead lengths the head loss combined with QD restrictions but nothing I see as a compelling issue.

caslim

Observer
Bringing up an older post...is there any reason why you couldn't use air QD's?

Also, do you guys use this for drinking water at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles