Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade? Advice appreciated

Specialized makes nice bikes, and looks like you're getting a good deal--almost at cost, from what Flounder is saying. Components seem good for the value. If it fits, it should be a good bike.

One thing to consider---as others have asked above, what kind of terrain are you riding? Are you going to be racing? I'm a big fan of steel frames (and singlespeeds, but that's another topic), especially if you're on rough, chunky trails. If you're not going to be racing, I'd say look into a steel hardtail frame. One that comes to mind is the Salsa El Mariachi. I think the bike is a little more than the Specialized, but it's a cool bike.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi_3/

Plus, it's got those sweet rear drop outs to go SS, if needed...

Thanks for the advice! I picked up the Specialized this afternoon. It's awesome. I'm very happy with it. The improvement in the components and weight is amazing.

I'm not going to be racing at all, just doing single track around Tucson. I did look for a steel-frame bike in my price range, but no luck.

If anyone is interested - though I don't know the consensus on these - Specialized has a closeout on their carbon-frame 29er for $1200. It weighs in at around 21 lbs!

I'm gonna go ride now - thanks to everyone for the advice!
    Petunia1995 FZJ80
    Suzy 2001 Subaru Forester
    2014 Specialized Crave

Which carbon 29er are you talking about? Stumpjumper Comp that retails at $2,600? Or are you talking frame set?

2011 Access Stealth 4.0 $1199.00, only large left in stock.

EDIT: Just noticed that I said Specialized in the post above...must have had it on the brain. I meant Performance Bikes. Which is completely different.
    Last edited by a.mus.ed; 04-24-2012 at 03:53 AM.

I'm loving the new ride. Did 6 miles of single track on Saturday, 12 miles Sunday, and 15 or so yesterday. Gotta give my legs a break for a few days, but on Sunday I plan on doing all 24 miles of trails at Fantasy Island here in Tucson. With the new bike, it's easy to add up the miles - I'm not fighting it to keep going like I did with the last one.

I'm planning to head up to Prescott with the bike and kayaks in the summer as part of a longer trip, can't wait to do some new trails.
    Petunia1995 FZJ80
    Suzy 2001 Subaru Forester
    2014 Specialized Crave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12