Upgrade? Advice appreciated

a.mus.ed

Explorer
So, I have been thinking of upgrading my ride (2011 GT Karakorum 3.0) to something a little better, when along comes an offer. Since I'm pretty new to all of this, I thought I might get some help.

The bike being offered to me is a several-year old Santa Cruz Blur with top-of-the-line components through and through (XTR stuff, Chris King Hubs, Ceramic Rims, Carbon seat post/bars, etc., all told 25lbs).

Am I going to miss having a 29'er or love having the super high-end stuff? The price is more than fair.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Oh yeah - to add to the tension, the offer expires tomorrow. The owner is planning to sell it at the Tucson bike swap if I'm not interested.

If I don't go this route, I will take a slower approach to finding another 29'er, probably hard-tail, in the near $1000 price range, used or new doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance for your help, bicycle gurus of ExPo!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hard call. Does the bike fit you? Is the drivetrain in good condition? If these two questions are yes then you might be onto something. Worse case, you should be able to turn around and sell it and get most of your money back. Could be worth a try if it fits. I'm no expert, just my .002 cents.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
For regular mountain riding it is probably going to be a substantial upgrade. For loaded down expo riding it sounds like you might be better off with what you currently have.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This is really more about you and where/how you ride than it is about an upgrade. It's not an upgrade if you end up with a bike that doesn't fit you, your needs, or your riding style. I will say, the era of the short travel 26" full suspension bike is coming to a quick end. Gear also hit the nail on the head about the condition of the expendable bits like tires, chain, cassette and cables. All of that adds up VERY quickly.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Thanks for the words of wisdom! I waffled back and forth all night about whether I even wanted to try it out, then finally went this morning. Just got back. HOLY CRAP THAT BIKE IS FAST! Seriously, I think I might kill myself on single track - I'm just not that good. Unfortunately, it's just too small (feeling?) for me, so I passed. Also unfortunately, I now know what a real bike feels like. I'll be looking for something like it immediately.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Continued...

I went down to the bike swap with a sign on my bike, sold it within 30 minutes. Now I've got no ride! and the okay to buy another from wifey. Although it's probably not the best around, I saw this guy at a booth at the swap. It was very light, and the components were a big step up from my GT. I can have it for $899, if the guy sticks to his word. Though, a buddy of mine is planning to help me out with some connections tomorrow, and he says he can get me a good deal. I'm also eyeing the bikes that were listed in another thread recently, we'll see what I end up with. Wish me luck in the search!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I would pass on the Fuji, just because that isnt really a screaming deal for a bike that retails at $1000. Keep in mind that the Blur you test rode was a VPP full suspension and they pedal exceptionally well. If you go with a full suspension bike, I would definitely get something newer that pedals well. I ride a Giant with the Maestro suspension and it is awesome all around. Just so you are aware when bike shopping, there is 100% markup on everything cycling related. If you are looking at a $2000 bike, then the dealer paid $1000 and you should be able to get it for $250-$300 over what they paid.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Just so you are aware when bike shopping, there is 100% markup on everything cycling related. If you are looking at a $2000 bike, then the dealer paid $1000 and you should be able to get it for $250-$300 over what they paid.
I'm the buyer for an outdoor store and a bike shop. We sell Giant, Felt, Rocky Mountain, Kona and a couple others. Not a single brand is marked up 100%. Not in the 26 years I've been in the bike business. Because most brands have MSRP and MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) most shops don't dare mark things up to full MSRP. So, those retail margins are usually closer to MAP pricing. As a general rule, if I order bikes in a pre-season order six months in advance and make arrangements for them to be shipped in batches of six to reduce shipping costs, the maximum margin I can squeeze out of a bike is roughly 38%. That's pretty normal. There are some very, very rare bikes that you might get 40-42% out of, but again...rare. In fact, it's unfortunately common for bikes to go out at 32-34%. Unfortunate for us, anyway.

You are correct that many things to fetch that 50% margin (100% mark up). Clothing, sunglasses and many accessories get those margins. Tires, components, and other hard goods can again dip down to that 40% mark quickly.

So, a smoking deal on that $2000 bike you mention is probably still around $1500 or even $1600.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I think I've got something, at least I hope I do. I put down a deposit on one of these: 2011 Specialized RockHopper LTD.
Being a 2011 model, I got at least a little bit of a deal on it. I'm not ecstatic about the price; however, I don't think I paid too much either. I think the bike looks pretty great, but I'd love to hear some feedback. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow, the shop is building it for me. Price $1150.
Once again, if you've got feedback I'd love to hear it. I'll get to ride it before I pay in full, and can still back out if it's no good for me. Let me know what you think!

7825.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Specialized makes nice bikes, and looks like you're getting a good deal--almost at cost, from what Flounder is saying. Components seem good for the value. If it fits, it should be a good bike.

One thing to consider---as others have asked above, what kind of terrain are you riding? Are you going to be racing? I'm a big fan of steel frames (and singlespeeds, but that's another topic), especially if you're on rough, chunky trails. If you're not going to be racing, I'd say look into a steel hardtail frame. One that comes to mind is the Salsa El Mariachi. I think the bike is a little more than the Specialized, but it's a cool bike.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi_3/

Plus, it's got those sweet rear drop outs to go SS, if needed... :D

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Thanks for the advice! I picked up the Specialized this afternoon. It's awesome. I'm very happy with it. The improvement in the components and weight is amazing.

I'm not going to be racing at all, just doing single track around Tucson. I did look for a steel-frame bike in my price range, but no luck.

If anyone is interested - though I don't know the consensus on these - Specialized has a closeout on their carbon-frame 29er for $1200. It weighs in at around 21 lbs!

I'm gonna go ride now - thanks to everyone for the advice!

phsycle

Adventurer
Which carbon 29er are you talking about? Stumpjumper Comp that retails at $2,600? Or are you talking frame set?

a.mus.ed

Explorer
2011 Access Stealth 4.0 $1199.00, only large left in stock.

EDIT: Just noticed that I said Specialized in the post above...must have had it on the brain. I meant Performance Bikes. Which is completely different.

Last edited:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I'm loving the new ride. Did 6 miles of single track on Saturday, 12 miles Sunday, and 15 or so yesterday. Gotta give my legs a break for a few days, but on Sunday I plan on doing all 24 miles of trails at Fantasy Island here in Tucson. With the new bike, it's easy to add up the miles - I'm not fighting it to keep going like I did with the last one.

I'm planning to head up to Prescott with the bike and kayaks in the summer as part of a longer trip, can't wait to do some new trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles