privacy & weight distribution

southpier

Expedition Leader
need help in the planning department please:

#1. vans with windows - how can the windows be covered on a semi permanent basis? not insulation of curtains, but something solid that can be taken down if the interior layout changes.

#2. "hang-off" storage - tires, fuel, bikes, and all things strapped on the outside - especially the rear end. how does this affect front end handling & vehicle balance?

thanks

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Can't help with the windows other than some sort of security bars...not pretty but effective...or just keep the windows small enough so someone can't get in through them.
As for the items mounted on the outside it is directly related to what you are driving and how the suspension is set up...are you going to modify the springs/shocks/sway bars for the extra weight? Is your van a little 1/4 ton or a 1 ton?
For reference I carry about 200 lbs (including the rack) on a roof rack on a modified Scout II and while it does create more sway I haven't had any issues while on the highway or in severe (25+ deg) off camber driving. The Scout weights in about 6k lbs tho so it is heavy.
Darrell

Cody1771

Explorer
why do you want to cover the windows? is it to prevent break ins or so people cant look in? if its just privacy i would think Limo tint would be good, if your looking for security you could get some aluminum pannels made up that sit in tracks that can easily be removed from the inside but make break in very difficult.

southpier

Expedition Leader
windows: yes. cover the factory installed ones that won't be required based on possible floorplan.

racks: i see rigs with jerry cans, motorcycles, and spare tires hanging three feet into space and don't believe something in handling is not sacrificed in the process.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Again as said above we need to know a bit more about YOUR van.
1/4 ton or 1 ton?
Reg Body or Ext Body?
Front & Rear sway bars
lifted?
4wd and if so by who

I had a Sportsmobile EB with Aluminess front & rear bumpers and a big box on the back along with a 35in tire. Never noticed a thing in the front end and that rig got used like a 4wd should.
Sportsmobile does a great 4wd conversion though and Aluminess bumpers are super light while being very strong.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Avoid the whale tail Ford vans. They handle poorly with weight hanging off the tail. The regular cramped models drive a bit better. The later model Chevy 3500 express vans drive completely better than the Fords, but they are built junky. Very junky. I'm stuck in one right now.

We just spray paint the inside of the rear windows black. Looks like tint from the outside.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Up-fitter Guides

Answers can be found in manufactures up-fitting guides usually free from vehicle manufacturer.

Changing vehicles center of gravity (CG) is most common issue when adding items like bumpers, winch, fuel cans, tire carrier or whatever, then there is the question of can suspension deal with the additional weight, or?

Proper up-fitting and keeping the manufacturer designed CG is not as hard as some would think and makes for a safe adventurer where ever that adventurer takes you and yours.

southpier

Expedition Leader
so "balance" is a key ingredient, i take it.

are air bags helpful to reduce stress on suspension components (rather than soley to increase carrying capacity)?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
so "balance" is a key ingredient, i take it.

are air bags helpful to reduce stress on suspension components (rather than soley to increase carrying capacity)?

IMHO, Maximum suspension stress would be equal to capacity of any suspension component as designed go past that point using helper springs, air bags or whatever and things can go bad slowly like premature failure of bushings or quickly if something breaks/snaps/pops.

fourfa

Observer
Contact paper or shelf lining paper on the inside of the windows works. Easy to install, easy to remove with no gunk, cheap ($2 a roll?). They even make silvery stainless-look paper that reflects a bit of heat.

southpier

Expedition Leader
IMHO, Maximum suspension stress would be equal to capacity of any suspension component as designed go past that point using helper springs, air bags or whatever and things can go bad slowly like premature failure of bushings or quickly if something breaks/snaps/pops.

this went right over my head. so i should not use air bags to help distribute load? (NOT looking to increase weight carrying capacity)

FellowTraveler

Explorer
this went right over my head. so i should not use air bags to help distribute load? (NOT looking to increase weight carrying capacity)

Again, research up-fitting manuals for CG and load capacities. If you want to use airbags have at it IMHO to use em to as you say distribute the load is a band aid approach for improperly loaded vehicle.

southpier

Expedition Leader
maybe "load distribution" is an incorrect description of what i think air bags could do.

perhaps "dampen suspension articulation" would be a better phrase.

basically, would air bags make things last longer by sharing load & wear?

either way, i'm still covering those windows!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles