Trailer Lighting

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Howdy Folks:

With regard to what is generally required (and I know that it may vary from state to state) legal-wise for trailer lighting? Aside from the obvious tail lights, brake and directional
functions, is there anything else required? My trailer has 2 lights on both sides of it - red it the rear part and a white one up front. They are circled red in this pic:

101_4364.jpg

My question is can I remove these? I guess they look nice and give you a sense of the trailer edges when its dark. Now I want to mount a couple of the shorty 11lb propane
tanks on the back portion of the fenders where the rear-red light is and I have to relocate a fuel can holder from one side of the trailer to the other and the left-front-white
one is also in the way. I suppose I could relocate the lights without too much hassle but was just wondering what is legally required. I did a few quick searches online at the
NJ DMV site but could not find an answer regarding this specific question. Thanks for any help you can provide.

toymaster

Explorer
To my knowledge none are required for such a small trailer. Marker lights are there so it is more likely to be seen from the side in traffic. The white one in fronts appears to be there for convenience for the step. Even if it were required in some states there is a slim to none change a policeman is going to care.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There are regulations for all trailers used on road in North America. The Canadian and US regulations for lighting and reflectors are identical but have different codes. Here is a great summary of requirements and a poster for light location.

In the US you must follow Federal DOT codes, individual States can have additional requirements but the minimum is what the DOT requires. Even though a State may not check your lights and reflectors for compliance when you register the trailer, it doesn't mean you wont get a ticket for not being on compliance if you are pulled over.

All the lights and reflectors have to be DOT approved, they will have the letters DOT on the lens. Lights approved only for South Africa (SABS), Australia (ADR), or Europe (EU) are not certified for use in North America.

For smaller trailers you need a license plate light, Stop turn tail lights, side clearance lights (amber and red), and reflectors. You need rear red reflectors (sometimes built into the rear lights), rear side red reflectors, front side amber reflectors.

Best practices would have you move your front amber side clearance light to a position on the outside of the protection bar. If you are looking for a light that recesses into the protection bar we have 3/4" side marker LED's that can be used.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Allright, considering replacing all the lights n wiring. where do I start? the current configuration has 2 turn/brake/running lights as well as a red and a amber side marker lights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles