Can you sleep in it?

justfred

Adventurer
As I look at vehicles, I realize that one of my main criteria seems to be "can you sleep in it?" Specifically, I'd like a rear cargo area long enough and flat enough that I can lay out a foam pad and a sleeping bag.

I don't do a lot of "extreme" camping or off-roading anymore; most of the time I go to festivals or desert campouts in the southwest. About half the time it's just me; the rest it's with my wife who would like larger and more comfortable, with a bathroom, so I'm also considering a motorhome or a trailer - but if it's just me, I would rather be self-contained if possible. And I don't like tents, much, either - having to find a big enough flat space and the time spent rolling them out and setting them up and putting them away the next day, and cleaning them up after the trip; I'd probably be happier with a Springbar/Kodiak, but that's yet another thread. Usually it doesn't get THAT cold where I go, and it very rarely rains, but it does get windy and dusty.

I don't need to cook inside the car, and I don't usually take much i that needs to be in coolers or fridges. Not that I travel light - but again, if it's just me, I can squeeze in with gear on one side and bed on the other.

The Pinzgauer had a cargo area slightly longer than a queen-sized bed; but due to the rubberized canvas top, it would collect mosture, then drip on me. The Rover 109 pickup was perfect for this. The D2 isn't quite long enough, even if I remove the back seat or build a platform above it. The Volvo XC90 is, as is the newest Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had a Vanagon for a while, and aside from the 20-year-old, gutless, 2wd and worthless A/C, it was great - I should probably be looking at Subaru Syncros. At the same time, I like the vehicle to be a small as possible - so it fits in parking spaces and gets better mileage.

I also find this criteria useful when estimating cargo capacity. I don't need a HUGE amount of space - but if it's big enough to stretch out in, it'll probably hold a pile of 8' 2x4s resting on the center console.

Maybe I want a Sportsmobile - if I could afford it?

Just some random vehicular thoughts; random responses and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is one thing that I REALLY like about my Dodge truck with camper shell. I keep a old 3-4" thick futon mattress in the back that can be unrolled to sleep on. I also have a piece of plywood on the floor covered in marine carpet to make the floor flat.

I REALLY appreciate the ability to sleep in the back of the vehicle with hard sides! During a recent trip with the wind blowing 50mph all my friends where mighty miserable in there tents. Me....I was just getting rocked to sleep by the wind....

Whatever vehicle I built next will retain this ability.

If it were me I'd look harder at the rooftop tent options. Unless you wanted to buy a truck but then you give up the narrow width. A camper shell is definitely nice I used one on my F-250 when I had it. That was alot more convenient than a tent. My next round of mods will hopefully include a RTT for my Discovery. Also my wife is one that wants at least a bathroom. I was able to satisfy her with a PETT toilet and on board shower. Good luck in your search

I owned 2 VW Westfalias. Slow, terrible in a head or cross wind, cold in the winter and hot in the summer, prone to breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. I loved them, they were perfect campers. Sportsmobiles come close but yes, way pricey.

If I could afford a 4Wheel Camper it would already be sitting on the back of the MDR. But for now, the shell is secure, dry, fairly warm, and handy. It works for what it is and I can recommend it to you...provided the bed of the truck is long enough to lay down in. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
I sleep in my Ford a lot. I've got it figured out to where I can sleep in the back seat and stretch out with the passengers front seat tilted forward and can truthfully get a very comfortable nights rest. Sometimes I'll throw the shell on with a mattress in the back if its just me and my wife or daughter for an overnighter or times when I just want to pack light. If I throw the FWC on it is nothing short of paradise :bike_rider:

I sleep in the 4runner too. I once slept in it with me, my wife, my 4 year old daughter and two dogs (and by dogs I mean a full grown Golden and a almost full grown Husky) :Wow1: It was interesting but much better than being in a tent given the outside conditions lol.

Overall I like sleeping in cars much more than tents. I like winding down listening to the radio.. I like the wind and rain protection and the stealth mode--I can't count how many times I've just slept in the rig (mostly hotel parking lots) when traveling hehe.

tstege

Observer
I have owned a 1997 & 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport, Westfalia, Toyota T100 (8ft) bed, and 2 Tacoma's. They all met this criteria the Jeeps were a little tight but they worked. The Westfalia has the above mentioned mechanical problems. The T100 was amazing with the camper shell and an 8ft bed, but gas mileage was not the best.

Now I am very happy in my 2wd 5spd Tacoma ext. cab. I am in the process of finishing my Utility shell with windoors and back barn doors as well as upgrading the suspension and adding a locker. I have been getting 25-27 MPG and still have confidence (more when I get a locker and suspension) on dirt and forest roads. I have a sleeping platform and I am working on an extra battery setup for laptop, lights, and a roof vent fan. I use my truck for camping now but during the fire season it is my base camp and I must say that the reliability/cost combo of a Tacoma in my opinion is hard to beat. Also the ext. cab is perfect for putting your gear in and hanging clothes if need be. Total for my 2001 Tacoma with 120,000 miles used ARE utility shell, new tires, and platform I am sitting at $7,000. Hope this helps, Tyler

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have slept in every 4wd rig I have ever owned. CAn you sleep in it is not the question. CAn you sleep comfortably I can sleep in a 79 standard cab toyota with bucket seats and triple shifters. Was it comfortable no is sleeping in my tahoe comfortable ya when you put a pad or air mattress down. You can sleep any where remember High School I woke up many places.

Now to the true Idea hear. I am building a crew cab Chevy for this reason. I can sleep in it on solo runs its big enough to haul my toys and I can haul sleeping in the back. Did i mention I manage to pull 18 mpg out of an 84 Chevy. I love it so many uses. Now we also have a Tahoe witch you can sleep in and explore its just not as much fun nore as comfortable.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
^Agreed.

At 5'9", I'm just short enough to fit in my '70 Blazer's 6' bed. The problem I'll be running into is having ventilation without letting in no-see-ems.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Funny this thread should come up because my last few rigs have all had the criteria that I be able to sleep inside. And pretty much any rig in the future will be one that is a sleep inside setup

My current rig is a 1970 Suburban and there is plenty of room for me, the wife, the fridge, the kid, the dog :) Yeah plenty of room
I will be making some mosquito netting for the windows so we can get some airflow when sleeping in the heat and maybe a fantastic type fan in the roof.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I have a Nissan Frontier with the shortest bed ever (well that was offered with my truck) and am about 6'. I've slept in the back of it a couple of times and it's something like 54" in length. I do the fetal position on my side a lot so I fit fine.

D

Deleted member 48574

I think as far as sleeping in small cars I have you beat -- try a 2 door JK on for side. I found I could create almost a hammock shape out of my soft gear and lay down behind the front seats. Me and a German shepherd -- and I'm 6'1 -- slept quite soundly all over the place in my last road trip (british Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, and back to Alberta).

Right now I'm drawing plans to fab up a roof rack and I will either be going with a RTT or I've also got plans for a telescoping platform that will pull out the back of the jeep, with a baby's bassinet style folding cover. So, half the shelter is provided by the hard top, half by this soft cover. Gear goes into a cargo net. That way the fiancé has room also and we can stretch out. Big issue is width -- it's a pretty narrow vehicle but it can be made to work (a 'young man's luxury' as my dad says).

Cheers
Craig

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Funny this thread should come up because my last few rigs have all had the criteria that I be able to sleep inside. And pretty much any rig in the future will be one that is a sleep inside setup

My current rig is a 1970 Suburban and there is plenty of room for me, the wife, the fridge, the kid, the dog :) Yeah plenty of room
I will be making some mosquito netting for the windows so we can get some airflow when sleeping in the heat and maybe a fantastic type fan in the roof.

Hello there, I suggest black sun screen with 90% or 95% sun blockage (the type growers use) for an insect barrier it acts a privacy barrier too. I've been using it in the tropics/sub tropics/high desert and it rocks. You can make a sun barrier w/sun screen for your rig, tent, camp site etc too by just elevating it above whatever with poles. Contrary to popular belief black sunscreen is more effective as sun screen than a solid white tarp as the air can flow through the small openings cooling the sun screens surface.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles