Dual Battery/winch control setup

oliverlove

Adventurer
So I just picked up a winch for the front of my 2.7l, and realize that for my summer trip I am going to need a second battery. So, for some inspiration I was hoping you guys could post up some pics of your setups.

I am also going to mount the winch control box under the hood to help keep it dry. It would seem the Smittybilt winches have issues with water corroding parts.

I think its going to be a bit tight, but hopefully it will all fit!

Louisd75

Adventurer
Those of you running dual batteries, do they need to be the same? If I run an isolator, I would think they could be different?

You'll need to figure out what kind of isolator you're going to run and how it charges the battery. With the National Luna isolator for example, the batteries should be the same since it links both batteries for charging (ie, it is a parallel charger). I would recommend reading through these threads:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...AGM-under-the-same-hood?p=1060669#post1060669
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ler-manager-question?highlight=dual+batteries

For more, the Power Systems section of Expo has lots of goodies. Here's a link to search results with Dual Batteries as the search target:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1346606

Some Winchspiration

I'm also curious how you're going to setup dual batteries on your 2.7L. I have a similar (in the works) setup. Have you looked into HellRoaring's dual battery setup?

I don't have my dual batteries setup yet, but I have my winch setup, thought you might like my hidden winch controller. :snorkel:

There was a small void behind the bumper big enough to fit the winch controller box. I drilled a hole just large enough for the plug to fit through my bumper, so when i take my bumper off I have to be mindful of the 3 wires that are plugged into it.
2011-06-14_18-55-42_164-1.jpg

2011-06-14_18-56-12_959.jpg

I inadvertantly took some pics of the winch controller box without the bumper on.
2011-11-06_09-23-35_84.jpg

2011-11-06_09-22-56_120-1.jpg

Finished product:
2011-11-13_08-00-18_42-2.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
I'm running a 12VoltGuy Ultra Dual battery/ incab winch controller in my 07 Taco. Mounted the control panel in the change holder, just created a little panel to hold it.
P2160101Medium.jpg

Its controlling a pair of Platinum's, one in the OE location and one in a NRA approved box inside the bed mounted tool-box. The winch is a M8000 with MP's Superline. I've been running this setup for about 4 years and never had an issue. <knock on wood!>.

Twistedfreedom

Here is my dual battery setup on my 2.7 the yellow top powers the winch and off-road lights. The red top powers the in cab accessories.

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

oliverlove

Adventurer
Twist - what do you use to manage the batteries? I can see the box, but cant quite read it.

I have looked a little at the hell roaring system. I am just starting to learn about all the possible management systems.

I have to keep it on the lesser expensive side as the budget is pretty small!!

Thanks for all the pics guys, very helpful!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
IBS battery management system. Stupid simple - completely reliable. Not the most inexpensive option but you only pay for reliability once. I've had it for 3 years.

CIMG0919.jpg

CIMG0916.jpg

CIMG0925.jpg

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
When I added a second battery to my 80 series, I wanted to keep it simple and added a 500amp solenoid so I could connect them easily for charging, winching or emergency starting at the flick of a switch...

pac500install6.JPG

pac500noid.JPG

pac500noid2.JPG

pac500install9.JPG

For switching, I used both an on/off switch for constant connection as well as a momentary switch that activated a timer relay for charging...

dualbatttimerrelay.JPG

dualbatttimerrelay2.JPG

For my front winch (SuperWinch EP9.0), I relocated the solenoid under the hood in front of the battery where it stays nice and warm during the winters (no chance of freezing up)

supawinchinstallwiring4.JPG

supawinchinstallwiring8.JPG

supawinchrelocate3.JPG

Relocated the remote plug to the top of the bumper and added an inline cut-off safety key switch...

supawinchinstallwiring11.JPG

supawinchinstallwiring13.JPG

For the rear winch (SuperWinch Husky10), I left the solenoid box in place, but relocated the remote plug to the rear X-member....

huzkyqinchinstalled11.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled12.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled15.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled26.JPG

I hated having to drag out the hand controller every time I want to use the winches, so I wired up a pair of OEM seat heater control switched for interior controls....

newsuperiorredwoodz15.JPG

I never liked the idea of having a non-fused power cable connected at all times because a minor fender bender could easily cause a fire, so I added another 500amp solenoid to the main power wires for both winches (only one is required as the winches are used one at a time)

I also added a distribution block and an Anderson connector to the rear bumper for heavy duty jumper cables...

The plug only gets power when the main power solenoid is switched on, so again, there's no chance of shortage in the case of an accident or a rotten kid with a paperclip...

Even with the power solenoid turned on, neither winch will work unless the accompanied safety key for the cut-off switches are turned....

This is perfect for holding tension while spooling in an unloaded line to avoid bunching on the drum...

I know it may sound redundant, but after seeing first hand how much damage a frozen winch solenoid can cause after getting stuck in the "ON" position as well as a few fires caused by accidental shortages during collisions, I try to create as many safety nets as possible...

tancream.jpg

dorkledayshotz.JPG

oliverlove

Adventurer
wow! Snake what a great setup! Currently I am S. Texas so freezing isn't really a problem. I do plan to move back North though, so what exactly do you mean the soleniod freezes?

So it seems with your system anytime the vehicle is on, both batteries are connected? So how did you wire up your alternator, does it charge both at the same time? Are you running two of the same battery?

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
wow! Snake what a great setup! Currently I am S. Texas so freezing isn't really a problem. I do plan to move back North though, so what exactly do you mean the soleniod freezes?

A well weathered solenoid can stick at any time if corroded and doesn't necessarily have to be in freezing weather, but in the instances where I witnessed it first hand, they were all during the winter.

So it seems with your system anytime the vehicle is on, both batteries are connected?

No, the solenoid connects the two batteries when the on/off switch is flipped or if I push the momentary button, the adjustable timer relay will connect the solenoid for 5 minutes (or whatever I set it to).

This means I can wait until the primary starting battery is fully charged before connecting the secondary battery for charging.

I added the timer relay so I don't forget them connected (batteries will self discharge faster when connected).

It is a simple solenoid system and is not automatic.

You could easily wire that way if you wanted to, but then you run the risk of not knowing if/when the primary were to fail :eek:

So how did you wire up your alternator, does it charge both at the same time?

There's no change in alternator wiring, the solenoid simply connects or disconnects the two batteries from a parallel configuration.

Are you running two of the same battery?

Yes, both matching Optima Blue tops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles