The New Subaru XV

Jelwell1982

Observer
http://subaru.com.au/newxv

This thing definately has me intrigued.
Decent ground clearance. Decent gas mileage.
Im usually a Jeeper but their inability to provide gas mileage much higher than 20mpg means that I can barely afford to get out of Texas...and has me shopping around. Sadly I 'm not "wheelin" like I want so the huge lifts, tires, and mods are being traded in for backpacks and mountain bikes. Im settling for a "just get me there" vehicle now and let the legs do the exploring.

Love to hear some thoughts on this guy, even if you think it looks like a mini van with a budget boost lift!

Jeremy

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I think it looks to be a great rig. Did you manage to see MPG estimates?

Im also glad to see than Subaru has FINALLY come to their senses and have started to drop the 2.5L in many of the 2013 offerings.

Marc1904

Different
It's like a mini outback... love it! change the tires and wheels, add a little height bump and you're set while still getting close to 30mpg.

haven

Expedition Leader
The XV is a mostly cosmetic variation of the Impreza 2.0L Hatchback. In USA, it will be called the XV Crosstrek. I think you could achieve the same results with the Hatchback for less money, particularly since all Crosstreks will have an upmarket interior.

The Forester has more storage space and more power, but it still uses that lame 4 speed auto transmission, and gets fewer mpg than the new Impreza does.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
To date the 2.5 4-cylinder is by far the most problematic engine Subaru has EVER produced. Even after many revisions, it still has known problems.
And knowing what I know about Subarus, I wouldnt touch one with a 2.5L, of any vintage.

Looking at the 2013 line, the Forester is the ONLY Subrau offering that you HAVE to have a 2.5L in.

Impreza, Legacy, Outback, and Tribeca can all be had without the 2.5

Impreza gets the 2.0L

The rest can be had with the 3.6L flat 6.

Both of which are much more reliably plants.

CCH

Adventurer
Not to get too far from the XV which does look nifty, but what are the reliability issues with the 2.5s? I'd like to know what to look for as we have a 2006 Outback about to hit 110,000 miles that hasn't had a problem yet. Replaced the timing belt at about 100K per instructions and that has been the only major maintenance required thus far.

Viggen

Just here...
It's like a mini outback... love it! change the tires and wheels, add a little height bump and you're set while still getting close to 30mpg.

Add that stuff and your mileage will not be close to 30 mpg anymore. Youll be in low to mid 20s easily (which is still good).

The Forester has more storage space and more power, but it still uses that lame 4 speed auto transmission, and gets fewer mpg than the new Impreza does.

Yes, but since the Forester is based on the Impreza, it wont be too long until they update it with the newer chassis and running gear.

Not to get too far from the XV which does look nifty, but what are the reliability issues with the 2.5s? I'd like to know what to look for as we have a 2006 Outback about to hit 110,000 miles that hasn't had a problem yet. Replaced the timing belt at about 100K per instructions and that has been the only major maintenance required thus far.

Not that many. The 2.2s had head gasket problems along with very early 2.5s. Youre fine. There are plenty of 2.2s and 2.5s rolling around on original head gaskets with well over 150k miles on them. When I bought my 09 Outback the guy in front of me was buying his second Outback. Original owner, 220k miles, never any major (like head gasket) issues. He wasnt trading in either. He was purchasing another.

My fiance has a '12 Outback Limited. VERY nice and comfortable. Subaru definitely spent some time on the interior redesign. It feels more like my old A6 allroad inside than a typical Subaru. Even at 6'4", its very comfortable which is unlike my '09 where I had to have everything in exactly the right place to be comfortable.

OP, I hear you. Im looking at getting a Forester. With King springs, I would get about 1" additional clearance which would net me something that is still fun to drive (still trackable if I felt like it), still gets mpg in the 20s, very comfortable and easily parked. I did a reality check and I dont get offroad as much as I want to. If I were out West, maybe it would make sense but here on the East Coast, a big truck is a little more of a waste for me. A Forester will get me down fire trails, even some sketchy ones, to the stream to fish and camp and can get me to a trail head to go riding. The Outback Sport/ VX is just a little too small for me though the new Imprezas are looking pretty nice.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
To date the 2.5 4-cylinder is by far the most problematic engine Subaru has EVER produced. Even after many revisions, it still has known problems.
And knowing what I know about Subarus, I wouldnt touch one with a 2.5L, of any vintage.

Looking at the 2013 line, the Forester is the ONLY Subrau offering that you HAVE to have a 2.5L in.

Impreza, Legacy, Outback, and Tribeca can all be had without the 2.5

Impreza gets the 2.0L

The rest can be had with the 3.6L flat 6.

Both of which are much more reliably plants.

The Engine in the Forester is now an FB25, no longer the EJ. The Engine in the Impreza is an FB20, which is also brand new. NOTHING CAN BE KNOWN ABOUT ITS LONG TERM RELIABILITY. EJs are fine motors, especially ones after 05. As for the EZ36? You'll hear about fewer problems whith fewer cars. It is also only 2-3 years old, so long term reliability is inconclusive. The Legacy will likely also receive the FB25 soon.

dzzz

From the little published data available all the recent subaru engines appear reliable.
I don't even know what engine I have in my 2009 Outback, other than it's the 4.
There are very few bad engines anymore. I like the larger displacement four cylinder in these vehicles rather than the lower gas mileage sixes. But I don't frequently drive a loaded vehicle in the mountains.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
From the little published data available all the recent subaru engines appear reliable.
I don't even know what engine I have in my 2009 Outback, other than it's the 4.
There are very few bad engines anymore. I like the larger displacement four cylinder in these vehicles rather than the lower gas mileage sixes. But I don't frequently drive a loaded vehicle in the mountains.

FYI, I believe you've got the 2.5-liter with the SOHC setup and timing belt. In 2011, Subaru changed a few things, including making the engine a DOHC with a timing chain.

By they way, I just bought a 2012 Forester last week. If the XV had been available, we would've considered it for sure.

- Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles