Car Window Tripod/Support

JKJenn

Adventurer
What do you all use when shooting from your car? There are a number of car window mounts on amazon and most seem about equally rated. I am generally shooting a a Canon 5D AMrk II and a 70-200mm with a 2x extender...someday I will have a 400mm :)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
It is very very hard to beat a beanbag for window shooting. Any strong bag that is strong enough not to burst, a zip that seals tight enough not to let the filling out and your all set. just pack it with rice or beans, and your done. It can also be used on top of the roof or hood, or on fenceposts. Or anyone elses car as they dont scratch anything.

I've used one for a 600mm lens, do it will definitly work with 400mm.

and when you want to pack it away, cook the rice and eat it :)

Sirocco

Explorer
Anothere vote for the BB.

I used one shooting wildlife in West Africa. So quick to whack the bag down and get your shot. No adjustment, no fiddling easy. then just throw it all on the back seat when your done and drive on!

Thats how I roll :ylsmoke:

G

AFSOC

Explorer
Puffin Pad

Not sure if you can still get them but I use a Puffin Pad. Its a foam block about 4"X4"X6" that fits over the partially rolled down car window. To be fair, it is a rest, not a mount. It is super simple, small and requires about 1 second to set up. It works like a champ. I am sure they're $20 or less.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Kirk Makes a great window mount that can also be used on any flat surface

1064801467_rSFp7-L.jpg

1064807165_oNUzo-L.jpg

1064806395_cW2bC-L.jpg

I just sold this one because I wasnt using it anymore, but when we lived in Yellowstone, I used it on a daily basis and loved it

Here is a LINK to a review I did on it so you can see if it's something you like

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
For $20, I'd probably go with the pad or bean bag option rather than dropping the coin on the Kirk Mount. Just so you know, it sells for $250 on their site, but I see them all the time around $100 on Ebay

JKJenn

Adventurer
For $20, I'd probably go with the pad or bean bag option rather than dropping the coin on the Kirk Mount. Just so you know, it sells for $250 on their site, but I see them all the time around $100 on Ebay

Yeah, it's been an expensive year...I will probably opt for the Puffin Pad, but could call to check on ebay if I upgrade.

Check out how this guy rigged his Puffin Pad to secure his camera and lens while he is driving. I think it was brilliant and will probably try this myself.

arlon

Adventurer
I use a bean bag that cost $0.50 and a few minutes of my time to make. I've used on the window with a 500mm AF-S and it works fine. For smaller lenses, I really don't see the need for additional support. If it is dark, I'd step out and just use a tripod.

large.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles