New cyclocross tires

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
So it's time to replace the Ritchey tires that originally came on my Surly crosscheck.

My crosscheck is the suv of my cycling arsenal, being used for commuting,dirt roads, and road use. Anyone have a tire they like? Tire is a 700cc by the way.

Butch
:bike_rider:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I go through a lot of cross tires. I've been using Kenda Small Block 8s for a while now. I like them because once worn down to a tiny fraction of their useful life, they still feel pretty good. Many tires ware just a tad and feel like crap. The SB8 tires roll very quickly on and off road. I also use WTB Cross Wolf tires and they're okay if you want something semi aggressive. Honestly, given how quickly these tires poop out, I'd shop the sales first.

Sirocco

Explorer
I would buy whats on sale.

I picked up some 33c Maxxis Mud Wrestlers (kevlar) that were take offs for £20/pair.

Nice and light, roll well on road (not as aggressive as he name implies!) but they have grippy shoulders so you can corner hard in the dirt/gravel.

Going to get a pair of Schwalbe smart sam 40c for an upcoming bikepacking event. Anyone used these?

G

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Sale sounds like a plan. I Agee they do burn fast, but the ability to ride all terrain is pretty cool!

Thanks guys

phsycle

Adventurer
I've been using Kenda Kross Supremes (700x32) with good success. Good wear, good performance off road. Cheap, too. If you don't like them, you can keep them as a back up.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Check out the ritchey excavader...I haven't bought any in a while so not sure if they are still around but they had a wcs version.
Low rolling resistance in the center but big cutters on the side...I used them for training and raced a bit on them in the PacNW before I switched to tubies...
They do surprisingly well in all conditions because of the corner knobs...think wet cornering...and I also use them on my cross bike here in the desert...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles