Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressurized Scepter Jerry Can Faucet and Shower

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victorville, CA
    Posts
    395

    Default Pressurized Scepter Jerry Can Faucet and Shower

    I wanted a gravity feed option for water delivery from my existing Scepter jerry cans that could also be used as a shower or sprayer for dishes. For $10 in brass parts, a short coiled hose and a garden sprayer, we now have a nifty faucet/sprayer.




    Gravity feed only with a relatively full can



    I installed a schrader valve stem



    Aired to about 25 psi doesn't stress the can much. (The lids don't handle much more than this before they start leaking air.)



    At 25 psi it shoots a stream from a garden sprayer about 25-30 feet



    Or it creates a nice shower, warm up that water before pressurizing and you're good to go



    The proof will be in the field test but it was a fun little project. It helped having my 13 year old daughter able to reach into the can to hold fittings. On the inside is a rubber o-ring and another fitting the create a tight seal for the faucet.
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with a 2012 XPCamper

    Build: http://www.maybelost.net/the-rig/tru...ennium-falcon/
    Blog: http://www.maybelost.net

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,861
    Another thread a bit ago found a 2 gallon bug sprayer fit on the lid and a few mods had a pump one

    Fun to see another version
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    my Snow Peak Reviews & Tweaks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Concho, AZ & Pinon Hills, CA
    Posts
    197
    Great idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shruk View Post
    It helped having my 13 year old daughter able to reach into the can to hold fittings.
    Kids can be a huge asset when building stuff!

    "Can you fit your arm into here?" Haha!

    Dennis
    Dennis Garman

    '79 Ford Bronco named "Ruff"

    https://www.facebook.com/GarmansWorkshop

    "A man that has to ask for help better not start out in the first place." Louis L'Amour - "Conagher"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SurCal
    Posts
    314
    Nice mod.... thanks for sharing... !!!
    __________________
    MaNu !!!
    You belong outside!!

    FZJ60-L59
    E-mail: viviendo.de.mar.a.cordillera@gmail.com
    Manu Chao

    Omnia mea mecum porto
    KK6JCK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    142
    Very nice work! I did something similar with my MWCs, modifying a spare lid:



    Your version, however, has the advantages of being fillable from any air source, and being able to use gravity feed if air is unavailable.

    Anyway, just another way to skin the cat, so to speak.
    '92 Cummins Ram - Super sexy build thread

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victorville, CA
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightySam View Post
    Very nice work! I did something similar with my MWCs, modifying a spare lid:



    Your version, however, has the advantages of being fillable from any air source, and being able to use gravity feed if air is unavailable.

    Anyway, just another way to skin the cat, so to speak.
    That was my original plan but I was having trouble finding the right parts, specifically the piece that you attach the hose to on the inside of the lid. The gravity feed is nice but I have to completely disassemble it to get it out of my swing out. I may revert to what you've done if its too much bother (and I can find the parts).
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with a 2012 XPCamper

    Build: http://www.maybelost.net/the-rig/tru...ennium-falcon/
    Blog: http://www.maybelost.net

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    142
    If you do decide to go to a spare lid, the parts are nothing special. I was able to find everything I needed at Lowes for cheap.

    On the outside of the cap, there's obviously a male and female quick connect. The female quick connect is threaded into a 1/4" NPT pipe nipple, which has a 1/4" NPT x 1/4" barb fitting on the backside. I'm using the pipe nipple as a bulkhead fitting, which it is not designed to do, but it seems to work alright.

    On the other end of the hose, all the crap on there is just for weight to get the hose to sink to the bottom of the can. Use whatever for this duty - a piece of steel pipe, whatever you've got.
    '92 Cummins Ram - Super sexy build thread

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,078
    Very cool idea for a quick clean up.

    What did you use for a nut on the back of the garden hose fitting?
    a conduit or faucet nut?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Shruk View Post
    I wanted a gravity feed option for water delivery from my existing Scepter jerry cans that could also be used as a shower or sprayer for dishes. For $10 in brass parts, a short coiled hose and a garden sprayer, we now have a nifty faucet/sprayer.




    Gravity feed only with a relatively full can



    I installed a schrader valve stem



    Aired to about 25 psi doesn't stress the can much. (The lids don't handle much more than this before they start leaking air.)



    At 25 psi it shoots a stream from a garden sprayer about 25-30 feet



    Or it creates a nice shower, warm up that water before pressurizing and you're good to go



    The proof will be in the field test but it was a fun little project. It helped having my 13 year old daughter able to reach into the can to hold fittings. On the inside is a rubber o-ring and another fitting the create a tight seal for the faucet.
    Nice setup.. This would be great for offroading and clenaing mudd of shoes and all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victorville, CA
    Posts
    395
    I searched around the plumbing parts until I found a brass fitting that fit and had enough of a flange to fit a rubber washer to seal the can.
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with a 2012 XPCamper

    Build: http://www.maybelost.net/the-rig/tru...ennium-falcon/
    Blog: http://www.maybelost.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •