Pressurized Scepter Jerry Can Faucet and Shower

I wanted a gravity feed option for water delivery from my existing Scepter jerry cans that could also be used as a shower or sprayer for dishes. For $10 in brass parts, a short coiled hose and a garden sprayer, we now have a nifty faucet/sprayer.

file-39.jpg

Gravity feed only with a relatively full can
file-40.jpg

I installed a schrader valve stem
file-41.jpg

Aired to about 25 psi doesn't stress the can much. (The lids don't handle much more than this before they start leaking air.)
file-42.jpg

At 25 psi it shoots a stream from a garden sprayer about 25-30 feet
file-43.jpg

Or it creates a nice shower, warm up that water before pressurizing and you're good to go
file-44.jpg

The proof will be in the field test but it was a fun little project. It helped having my 13 year old daughter able to reach into the can to hold fittings. On the inside is a rubber o-ring and another fitting the create a tight seal for the faucet.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Another thread a bit ago found a 2 gallon bug sprayer fit on the lid and a few mods had a pump one :)

Fun to see another version :)

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Very nice work! I did something similar with my MWCs, modifying a spare lid:

Your version, however, has the advantages of being fillable from any air source, and being able to use gravity feed if air is unavailable.

Anyway, just another way to skin the cat, so to speak.

Very nice work! I did something similar with my MWCs, modifying a spare lid:

Your version, however, has the advantages of being fillable from any air source, and being able to use gravity feed if air is unavailable.

Anyway, just another way to skin the cat, so to speak.

That was my original plan but I was having trouble finding the right parts, specifically the piece that you attach the hose to on the inside of the lid. The gravity feed is nice but I have to completely disassemble it to get it out of my swing out. I may revert to what you've done if its too much bother (and I can find the parts).

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
If you do decide to go to a spare lid, the parts are nothing special. I was able to find everything I needed at Lowes for cheap.

On the outside of the cap, there's obviously a male and female quick connect. The female quick connect is threaded into a 1/4" NPT pipe nipple, which has a 1/4" NPT x 1/4" barb fitting on the backside. I'm using the pipe nipple as a bulkhead fitting, which it is not designed to do, but it seems to work alright.

On the other end of the hose, all the crap on there is just for weight to get the hose to sink to the bottom of the can. Use whatever for this duty - a piece of steel pipe, whatever you've got.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very cool idea for a quick clean up.

What did you use for a nut on the back of the garden hose fitting?
a conduit or faucet nut?

Dirtytires

Explorer
I wanted a gravity feed option for water delivery from my existing Scepter jerry cans that could also be used as a shower or sprayer for dishes. For $10 in brass parts, a short coiled hose and a garden sprayer, we now have a nifty faucet/sprayer.

file-39.jpg

Gravity feed only with a relatively full can
file-40.jpg

I installed a schrader valve stem
file-41.jpg

Aired to about 25 psi doesn't stress the can much. (The lids don't handle much more than this before they start leaking air.)
file-42.jpg

At 25 psi it shoots a stream from a garden sprayer about 25-30 feet
file-43.jpg

Or it creates a nice shower, warm up that water before pressurizing and you're good to go
file-44.jpg

The proof will be in the field test but it was a fun little project. It helped having my 13 year old daughter able to reach into the can to hold fittings. On the inside is a rubber o-ring and another fitting the create a tight seal for the faucet.
Nice setup.. This would be great for offroading and clenaing mudd of shoes and all.

grimbo

Explorer
I just used one of these
25l%20container.1.jpg

added one of these
tn_taps.jpg

and the valve from a bike tube by drilling a hole in the cap and using a bit of gooly gum
VAR_bicycle_tyre_valve.jpg

hook one of these up to the tyre valve
2194.jpg

and voila pressurised water

Honu

lost on the mainland
any pics of the final product ?
I just used one of these

added one of these

and the valve from a bike tube by drilling a hole in the cap and using a bit of gooly gum

hook one of these up to the tyre valve

and voila pressurised water

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles