2000 Tacoma Replacement Leafs...

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I need to replace my leaf pack, I want to keep it at stock height more or less, but want a better ride! 196k on the stock pack and she be saggin. I am looking at the Wheeler's 5 leaf pack or 4 leaf pack. I have a carpeted Snugtop shell and sleeping platform on the truck all the time. Any advice? Leaning towards the 5 leaf pack but do not want to have the stink bug effect.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

First Pic unloaded. Second pic heavily loaded for 2 week Baja road trip:sombrero:

I will be going with the Alcans for my 2000 Taco. They build them specificly for your rig/build. A little spendy but worth it. I have over 285,000 on my stock pack with two add a leafs and the ride is poor.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had the 5 pack, broke them after only a year...and I don't drive hard, they can get overloaded real quick.

Go with the 8-9 leaf, with only 1.5 lift, when loaded you'll have stock height.

I have OME Dakar heavies now, and they are waaay too stiff when unloaded...have to carry 25 gallons of water for ballast, all the way back of the bed (tailgate)
I really don't like them, don't think there are worth the hype.

Actually going to pull them and replace them...most likely going down the long travel prerunner road...

Last edited:

tstege

Observer
Hoptroll I am in the same boat although my Tacoma is a 2wd. I have a utility shell and platform as well as gear most of the time. I am looking at doing new shocks, springs, and leafs but want to keep it pretty much stock height though I would not mind a inch or so of lift. Let me know what you end up getting or if you have any suggestions for me. Also just as a point of reference how much are you planning on spending? Thanks Tyler

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I have OME Dakar heavies now, and they are waaay too stiff when unloaded...have to carry 25 gallons of water for ballast, all the way back of the bed (tailgate)...

If you don't have the weight demands to warrant the heavy, why not pull a leaf and make them mediums? (ideal for most) Or pull two leafs and make them a light (ideal for trucks without aftermarket rear bumpers or heave loads). They will still have the upper end load capacity but they will flex and ride better when unloaded if you set them up for your specific needs.

Clutch

<---Pass
If you don't have the weight demands to warrant the heavy, why not pull a leaf and make them mediums? (ideal for most) Or pull two leafs and make them a light (ideal for trucks without aftermarket rear bumpers or heave loads). They will still have the upper end load capacity but they will flex and ride better when unloaded if you set them up for your specific needs.

I think I screwed up and over compensated with the Heavies, because I have broken three sets of leaf packs. The stockers, the repaired stockers, and the 5 pack Deavers.

When I load all the dirt bike gear and pull the trailer with 2-3 bikes...they are almost perfect, and when I bought them I had a Wildernest as well (350 lbs-ish), which I actually sold today...and went back to my much lighter SnugTop.

90% of the time it is unloaded though, since it is my DD. Also considering ditching my ARB bumper and go for a much lighter PreRunner style setup...I am in a de-modding phase...then re-modding...I have the long travel prerunner bug again...(well it really never went away, just got side tracked)

Which means a totally different rear suspension setup. I want Caddy like smoothness...can't get that with OME's or even 8-9 pack Deavers. Have to go custom, probably going to have to go with long travel airbags for when I have it loaded down....

96000_taco05.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Which means a totally different rear suspension setup. I want Caddy like smoothness...can't get that with OME's or even 8-9 pack Deavers. Have to go custom, probably going to have to go with long travel airbags for when I have it loaded down...

Makes complete sense, Dakars are definately far more ideal for loaded trucks, I'm sitting at ~200 lbs of constant load on the back with the heavies and its a tad tall and firm unloaed but when its loaded I likely have ~500 lbs in the bed and its dialed. Trying to get a spring to work well with 500 lbs yet ride nice with zero load or handle some aired our situations is chore :D I've sidelined my need for super fast pre-running in the Tacoma with some time behind our 5 car... but after every race I feel like I want a go-fast, light Tacoma with simple bumpers and gobs of suspension :D

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I don't mind if it rides a bit stiff, it is a truck after all. It's getting to the point where when I hit a speed bump I can feel the rear bottom out. I just put new Bilstein 4600s all around and that makes the ride really nice except for the squishy rear (not the good kind of squishy rear). I constantly have the shell, the sleeping platform (which is a hefty platform), a surfboard or two, wetsuit or two, some basic survival camping gear (TP, shovel, sleeping pads and sleeping bag), usually some work equipment, and some other random stuff back there. Gotta prepare for the worst! Long story short I have probably 200lbs back there all the time plus whatever the shell weighs. Its a carpeted shell too. I don't want a pack that is going to need 1000lbs to feel humane. An 8 leaf might be tough on my hemorrhoids. Looking to spend around $500 give or take and like I said, I would prefer a somewhat level look with maybe a bit higher in the rear, but no stinkbug.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
It sounds like OME Dakar springs is the way to go for you. After all my research these are what I have decided to go with and I haul about the same as you around in the back of my truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Makes complete sense, Dakars are definately far more ideal for loaded trucks, I'm sitting at ~200 lbs of constant load on the back with the heavies and its a tad tall and firm unloaed but when its loaded I likely have ~500 lbs in the bed and its dialed. Trying to get a spring to work well with 500 lbs yet ride nice with zero load or handle some aired our situations is chore :D I've sidelined my need for super fast pre-running in the Tacoma with some time behind our 5 car... but after every race I feel like I want a go-fast, light Tacoma with simple bumpers and gobs of suspension :D

Yeah, it is darn near impossible to get both...have compromise one way or another...or have two vehicles...which we do now, picked up a Trooper not to long ago (So I can "specialize" the Taco now)...actually have 3 vehicles, but I don't take the VW Westy in the dirt.

Heck, I need LT for just running around town, the roads are falling apart here in AZ.:sombrero: I drove my buddy's tricked out PreRunner the other day....oh baby...this is what I want! I don't really do "Expos" errr...I mean expeditions....anyway :ylsmoke:.

The dirt bike almost fills the need for going fast in the desert tho'. :roost: I do like going fast in a cage too...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles