Anyone want a mounting bracket for a Yaesu ft 7900 head in an XJ?

Mashurst

Adventurer
I am designing a mounting bracket that will affix under the two visor clips to hold the radio head just above the rear view mirror in my 98 Jeep XJ. It will include a built in mic holder slot to the right of and above the head and have holes to attach the clip basket thing from the separation kit. It will also have holes to zip tie the mice cord as it comes out to stress relieve the plug. I think it will work very well for my needs and that is my main concern.

I know this is a very narrow application both vehicle and radio specific (should work with other small radios as well with a bit of drilling maybe) but I wanted to throw it out to see if anyone wanted to get in on it. I am still tossing around the idea for getting it laser cut as that always turns out so nice but for just one it will cost quite a bit more than just cutting it out on the band saw and drill press. If two or three people wanted in, laser cutting would get quite reasonable. I'm guessing like 20ish with three people. I wouldn't be doing any markup from my cost. If you get one it just makes mine a bit less cause we split the set up cost.

I'm also kinda debating between stainless and cold rolled. With stainless you don't paint it and it would and look a bit too bling but it is easy and will never rust. With rolled I would paint it black and I think it would look better.

If anyone has any interest at all let me know. I should be posting CAD pics as the design comes together. I guess I will also post a PDF of the flat pattern in the end should anyone want to make one themselves in the future. I'm going to post this over at NAXJA as well. (Edit - looks like it may be against the rules over there)

Mark

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
Sounds like something I may be interested in. I have been contemplating mounting a new 2M in the rig since my son now seems to be taking an interest in Amatuer radio...I will probably pass on my VX-170 as incentive for him. I like the sound of your concept but would like to see a CAD or cocktail napkin sketch of it. I already have my Starmate5 mounted above the mirror, between the visors. I may have already squatted on the real estate your concept requires.

Mashurst

Adventurer
Here is a "napkin sketch". I don't have any measurements in it yet but it should show the idea.
7900_Mount_A01.PNG

Attachments

• 7900_Mount_A01.PNG
    7900_Mount_A01.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Mashurst

Adventurer
This should be close to the end product. I will be making a scale model out of card board to test the fit and may make a few tweaks but this is basically it.

7900_Mount_A03_F.PNG

Front view.

7900_Mount_A03_R.PNG

Right Side view.

The "finished Product" will be the flat cut out so you will need to do the bends yourself. With this gauge of steel (18 gauge) that is a simple matter of putting it in a bench vise and creasing it. Hum maybe I should add some slits to make accurate bending easier...

Mashurst

Adventurer
Here is the final design... unless I get any ideas over night.
ASFOC if you want in let me know and I'll have them quote two. Once I get it done, maybe tonight, I will also post the flat pattern 1:1 so you or anyone could also just use the pattern to make one or use it as a base for something ells.
7900_Mount_A05.PNG

Daryl

Adventurer
I'm quite pleased.

From what I can see in that picture, you should be. I'm looking to do the same (on my beater Rover soon). Seems like a good spot that is out of the way.

The worst part is that I see no way around ripping the headliner out between bringing power up an A pillar and an antenna line from the rear. So that makes wiring by by itself a 3 or 4 hour project.

But it's worthwhile for a clean install like that.

Mashurst

Adventurer
Thanks for the complement. With the removable face on the 7900 there is just the one cable. I was able to just tuck it in at the top of the windscreen. I did loosen the trim on the A pillar to get it in their nice. The rest of the radio is under the driver seat. There's a little external speaker on the dash. The mount is nice and rigid. I am getting a bit of glare on the screen but nothing is perfect... I think it'll work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles