tirfor...griphoist...the best manual winch available..???

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I recently needed some form of manual hand winch in case of rollover or pulling backwards etc etc...after much deliberating i settled on the tirfor 4000lb unit with the 7/16 cable...the cable also acts as a backup power winch cable extension...that gives me a total of about 200ft... I bought 2 of the 4000lb units and now am selling one...see listing on the classifieds thread...any suggestion or input on these setups..???

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The tifor is a good winch and been aruond a long time. As much as it would be nice to have one, since I have powered winches on all my Land Rovers I decided to use the less expensive More Power Puller as a manual backup.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Ad?

Where is the AD in the classifides? I think the tirfor is a great design and provides more pulling length than the power puller, but they both have their advantages. The power puller with synthetic is a really attractive option because of weight and simplicity.

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I didnt mean griphoist, i meant Power Puller. Edited last post, incase everyone gets a little confused.

I do not think that there is anyway to have a tirfor/griphoist with synthetic because the mechanism grabs the wire rope. The synthetic would just deform and slip in a tirfor jaw.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I used a griphoist for a few years professionally, mostly moving boulders for rock staircases and/or moving big logs around. They are great and very powerful and extremely reliable. However, they are large and cumbersome. Key is to bring a spare shear pin in case you break one during a recovery. The vehicle would have to be very stuck, but anything is possible.

I personally would not carry one unless you really needed a lot of gear. A regular winch with decent cable length and snatch blocks has more than sufficed for every situation I've gotten into including vehicles off the sides of hills, etc, needing extreme recovery....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles