CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Land Cruiser pop top Prototype

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
100 series version ASAP!

x2, really digging this.

Any thoughts on the structural competency when cutting away a good chunk of the roof support? More specifically does your shell have some structure to 'replace' that lost structure?

thecriscokid

Explorer
x2, really digging this.

Any thoughts on the structural competency when cutting away a good chunk of the roof support? More specifically does your shell have some structure to 'replace' that lost structure?

I have had a lot of thoughts on this. When it comes down to it, removing the factory roof supports should take away some support. That being said, the supports are in a poor location for a roll over and could be relocated farther forward if the sunroof was deleted or moved to the rear. The roof panel is pretty thin sheet and the top I have designed is very stiff and mounts to the rain gutters that act as an adjoining frame and are very stout. My next step is to disassemble and finish the pop top and cut out 1 roof support,1 sunroof and leave 1 support and possibly relocate the other over the driver. I think this will be a great topless vehicle and would lend it self to having a roll cage installed if the user wanted. After all, you can take off the top in the matter of minutes and have a run around. I am hoping to be near a wash in weight gain from removing the electric sunroof and sheet metal

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have had a lot of thoughts on this. When it comes down to it, removing the factory roof supports should take away some support. That being said, the supports are in a poor location for a roll over and could be relocated farther forward if the sunroof was deleted or moved to the rear. The roof panel is pretty thin sheet and the top I have designed is very stiff and mounts to the rain gutters that act as an adjoining frame and are very stout. My next step is to disassemble and finish the pop top and cut out 1 roof support,1 sunroof and leave 1 support and possibly relocate the other over the driver. I think this will be a great topless vehicle and would lend it self to having a roll cage installed if the user wanted. After all, you can take off the top in the matter of minutes and have a run around. I am hoping to be near a wash in weight gain from removing the electric sunroof and sheet metal

Right on, excited to see the finished units and pricing!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I posted on Mud as well but how well will this work in Foul weather? When we go camping we always get rain to some degree so weather tight will be a big deal. Have you done any weather testing yet? Looks like you are mostly in the South west so I would think not. Any option for a covered entry ad on? How about internal finishing of the roof? Condensation management/insulation?

irish_11

Explorer
Very cool indeed. I would love to see something in a 60-series topper. I am wondering how the entry/exit and roof support would work in a 60. Keep us posted!

Airmonger

Adventurer
This version looks very well thought out. What ever happened to the guy that made a fiberglass/wood version? I think he made 1 prototype that had many fatal flaws. The CAMPTEQ looks much more durable, robust, and better fitting. Good Luck and post lots of photos when you get to hacking the roof. Can't wait to see more.

http://80seriespoptoptent.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
I posted on Mud as well but how well will this work in Foul weather? When we go camping we always get rain to some degree so weather tight will be a big deal. Have you done any weather testing yet? Looks like you are mostly in the South west so I would think not. Any option for a covered entry ad on? How about internal finishing of the roof? Condensation management/insulation?

I have had a couple of foul weather nights so far. I live at 7500ft right as the mountains turn to desert and have had plenty of wet days camping. Hence the pop top! The fabrics I have picked for my first test are 8oz Outdura fabrics, rot and mildew resistant and water beads off of it. It is one of the lighter fabrics that I will offer. The 8oz is very quite in the 40+mph winds that it has seen. I have spent hundreds of nights in a Westfalia that was 20yrs old. This is the fabric of choice for a lot of Westfalia owners
I will have an option for a burlier fabric that is impervious to any water. The top inch of the covered wall could have mesh to aid with moisture and air flow,or not
I currently have some water sitting on the fabrics as my camera battery charges. I'll update with some picks.
The interior finish of the vehicle has simply been to pull the headliner tight and use factory color match edge trim, like what is around your door.

thecriscokid

Explorer
This version looks very well thought out. What ever happened to the guy that made a fiberglass/wood version? I think he made 1 prototype that had many fatal flaws. The CAMPTEQ looks much more durable, robust, and better fitting. Good Luck and post lots of photos when you get to hacking the roof. Can't wait to see more.

http://80seriespoptoptent.blogspot.com/

Thanks. Lots of time thinking, staring, measuring, and cutting. It was all worth it to see the first water jet cut pieces fit snug on the roof

Airmonger

Adventurer
mmmm...water jet cut....arrghhh!

large_homer-drool.jpg

I do appreciate how tight that fit is to the gutter rails. Does the topper touch the them at all?

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
The top sits on the rain gutter the entire length spreading the load and the 4 mounts hold it down. Yeah, the water jet is way cool. Solar powered too!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
The top sits on the rain gutter the entire length spreading the load and the 4 mounts hold it down. Yeah, the water jet is way cool. Solar powered too!

Big Kudos to you for designing it and making it happen! I've thought, like many, about this for years for my truck and it's so great to see someone actually do it! That's the hard part!
If the pricing is like you had mentioned I'd be a customer for a 4runner version, but I'm sure that everyone is going to ask you about their particular truck. Otherwise, some day I'll have to do un-natural things to a Maggiolina to make my own and no one wants that!!!

:sombrero:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I would like to start off by saying THANK YOU. This is a Huge step forward for our 80's...Finally is right.:wings: A definite game changer in my future build plans. Keep the pics coming and once again... Thanks for seeing the potential, making it a reality, and taking that first step for us. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles