CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Land Cruiser pop top Prototype

Rando

Explorer
I am very interested in this for either an 80 or 100 series (I am so interested that I would buy a vehicle to match the tent!). Would certainly appreciate more details such as approximate price, lead time, interior and exterior dimensions for those of us who won't be there this weekend. Also, will you have an example to look at this summer in Aspen?

From what I have seen so far this looks like an excellent product!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Wanted to give a big thanks to CAMPTEQ and Craig for letting my boys climb around and make themselves at home in your folks' 80's. I am very impressed and stoked to see a fellow 80 enthusiasts vision come to reality. Looking forward to more pics during the installation phase and while out on the trail. :)

IMG_9644.jpg

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

Plantdriver

PopTop

Wanted to give a big thanks to CAMPTEQ and Craig for letting my boys climb around and make themselves at home in your folks' 80's. I am very impressed and stoked to see a fellow 80 enthusiasts vision come to reality. Looking forward to more pics during the installation phase and while out on the trail. :)

IMG_9644.jpg

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

It was fun seeing your kids in my poptop - thanks for the great photos! And as Eric's first customer, let me just say that I'm completely blown away by the top - it's something I've wanted for years, and the build quality and Eric's customer service have been outstanding.

I had a Hannibal rack and an Autohome Columbus rooftop tent on my 80 before, and both are amazing products, but being able to enter the tent from inside, and stand up inside, cook inside and dine inside if the weather's stormy is a huge plus, and having a usable roof rack (usable for something other than a rooftop tent) is a giant bonus. The gas struts are super HD, and will elevate a roof with a considerable load - not that huge loads are a good idea on any rack. And: without any load, I can now fit into parking garages!

I'm happy to answer any questions about the CAMPTEQ top. BTW, the next models will have, I think, screened side windows.

My email address is craigreece@plantdrive.com

Airmonger

Adventurer
The pictures are awesome and the table in the cruiser is an awesome addition. I assume that the table is removable for travel? Also I see you have an awning mounted on the campteq, I was wondering about that. Any photos of the awning mount? Thanks for keeping us posted!

Plantdriver

The interior table is removable - it's bamboo ply on the eating surface, and the other side is aluminum 5-bar treadplate, and when it's not in use as a dining table, it slides into channel on the sides of the aluminum fridge compartment and Pelican box compartment, with the 5-bar side facing up. The aluminum pedestal for the table has aluminum floor flanges top and bottom, and they're fastened to the table and the 1/4" aluminum plate at the bottom of the three compartments via aluminum spoked knobs. The stainless countertop (not shown in the pics) is for food prep, cooking and dishwashing - and pulls out of a slot under the 1/4" plate, on full-extension drawer slides attached to 3/4" ply, which is bolted into the 8 jumpseat nutserts in the floor of the 80.

The Hannibal awning is attached to the Campteq top via two 1/4" thick aluminum brackets that replicate the stock Hannibal brackets, which Eric's fabricator cut off the awning, and the new brackets are welded onto the Campteq top, the bottom portion of which is 3/16" 5052 aluminum to resist the forces the awning puts on the top in a high wind. It's at least as strong as the Hannibal rack the awning used to be attached to. If Eric doesn't chime in with some pics of the mount, I will when I'm back in the SF bay area later this week.

Last edited:

Plantdriver

Up top where the kids are sitting - there are 3 upholstered foam cushions with 3/4" ply bottoms (the ply is inside the upholstery so you don't see it) and all three stow inside the poptop when it's elevated. To get up top when you've popped the top (release the latches and the gas struts raise the top) you flip up one cushion and step up into your bedroom. The kids are sitting on one or two of the cushions, I'd pulled one out so folks could see the approx. 3' x 3' hole I'd chopped out of the roof to provide access to the bed + standing room below, or sitting room if the table is setup.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
i wonder if the 100 roof structure is going to be an issue. there is a distinct lack of drip rails and the reinforcement is good way from the edge. i have ideas, and its a bit more manufacture than here on the 80. but i'll be interested in the op's design solution.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Craig

it was awesome to meet you at Expo and congratulations for being the first customer of this great product. I think it has great potential and it was cool to see it all setup on your LC.

I'll let you know next time I am in Berkeley!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles