CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Land Cruiser pop top Prototype

hoser

Explorer
i wonder if the 100 roof structure is going to be an issue. there is a distinct lack of drip rails and the reinforcement is good way from the edge. i have ideas, and its a bit more manufacture than here on the 80. but i'll be interested in the op's design solution.
Actually, it would be a bit more slick on the 100 as the fasteners would be hidden on the inside of the camper.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We were setup on display right across from this new product. It looked great and im really glad someone has stepped up to make it in the USA. Good to meet both the 1st customer owner and the manufacturer. Good luck you guys.

thecriscokid

Explorer
The Overland Expo was a great event. Thanks to all the organizers and participants. It was so nice to place even more faces to forum names:sombrero:

awningdetail.jpg
Detail of awning adapter for Hannibal (pic from overlandtheworld.com) It was great to meet the two of you

Please email me with any questions at sw.holdings@hotmail.com while I get my ducks in a row to become a forum sponsor to continue to promote CAMPTEQ!

AZchris

Adventurer
Met up with Eric and saw his prototype today and was really impressed with how great the design was.

The pop up was rock solid and I am really impressed with how fast it was to set up and take down. The simple, yet functional designed worked flawlessly without any effort. Would love to have one of these living on top of my FJ80.

Can't think of many reasons why a roof rack rack and RTT would be a better choice than this for an 80 series. Cool stuff.

Rando

Explorer
Thanks to everyone for who has seen one of these in person for sharing there impressions (and photos). It is all making this solution seem better and better. Does any have any thoughts on weather resistance of these relative to similar options (Autohome RTT's, Westfalia, Wildernest/flippac)? It seems they should have had a good workout in the wind at OE, but I wonder about rain on the exposed fabric on the rear of the tent. Any thoughts on fly (like the autohome winter hood) for when long periods of rain are expected?

Salue

Adventurer
I thought I read the whole thread but maybe I missed it; Is the price advertised anywhere? And what is the lead time for an order?

Cheers,
Salue

Sempertoy

Explorer
6k?!?! I thought it was supposed to be around the price of a rack and RTT? I love this idea and can only imagine having one but there is no way I would pay more for a tent than I paid for my 80. That is silly talk. Hopefully the real price is somewhat more reasonable.

Last edited:

Ranchero

Wanderer
6k?!?! I thought it was supposed to be around the price of a rack and RTT? I love this idea and can only imagine having one but there is no way I would pay more for a tent than I paid for my 80. That is silly talk. Hopefully the real price is somewhat more realistic.

I have to say I was expecting around $3k too. I would buy one today at that price - in fact I went to OE ready to plop a deposit down. Oh well. It is cool - slick water jut cut aluminum and great welds - but unfortunately out of my budget. Perhaps Campteq can practice some good old first-degree price discrimination :^)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ya for $6k I am out...I think I can come up with my own thing for at least $2k less.

But still good on ya Eric for doing this!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Please email me with any questions at sw.holdings@hotmail.com while I get my ducks in a row to become a forum sponsor to continue to promote CAMPTEQ!
Saw your pop-up at OVX. Very cool. You have an office on Durant Street? I walk by there often and didn't even know you guys were there. Maybe I'll bump into you at Ink one of these mornings.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
6k?!?! I thought it was supposed to be around the price of a rack and RTT? I love this idea and can only imagine having one but there is no way I would pay more for a tent than I paid for my 80. That is silly talk. Hopefully the real price is somewhat more reasonable.

I was also surprised a bit when I was told 6K but if you want to do a similar setup yourself and add a quality rack at $1100-1500 plus a hard topped tent like the maggiolina columbus you approach $5K really quickly...over $6K with the carbon option...

Good stuff ain't cheap anymore...you are right that 5-10k for an 80 series is a great bargain right there because...it comes with a sleeping system...the floor...I guess I will probably just stick with that for a while...

There are many benefits to the Campteq top and standing in the vehicle is the biggest for me however I am really hesitant to chop my roof (with my abilities I would probably muss it up) and limit my sleeping option to one vehicle...now if there is a 60 series option in the future I might be more interested...

Plantdriver

Sticker shock

I removed and sold an aluminum full length Hannibal rack and an AutoHome Columbus hard shell RTT to pay for almost half the price of my CAMPTEQ top, and I had paid about $4500 for my previous setup. But the value that the new setup adds is - for me - almost impossible to put a price on: I gain a full length roof rack that I can actually carry something on (the AutoHome took up the entire footprint of the Hannibal rack, my new top is bare, super strong and has Mac's Tie Down rails full length on all 4 sides. My wife and I can enter and exit the tent's bed from both the exterior of the truck *and the interior* - with the from-the-interior option a huge bonus in very harsh weather or if we're in a sketchy area. We can stand up inside the truck to cook in bad weather, or eat inside due to the rear headroom. We could sleep two up and two down if we had small kids along. And I parked in the underground garage in Flagstaff Monday - with 33" tires and a 2" lift the truck is under 7' - it was almost a foot taller before. And my fuel mileage has increased by 3-4 mpg without the huge air dam of the RTT-on-a-rack.

I'm a contractor and good with a jigsaw, and cutting out the rear hole in the roof took me less than an hour. Eric cut the headliner and we rolled bulb weatherstripping onto the cut edge of the roof to capture the headliner - the same bulb weatherstripping he uses as a gasket along the bottom edge of the top (the clamps that grab the rain gutter, when tightened, compress the weatherstripping.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles