CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Land Cruiser pop top Prototype

thecriscokid

Explorer
Set to launch at Overland Expo May18-20

Here is a little preview after a couple days testing along the Kokopelli trail last week
IMG_4201.jpg

Removable pop top conversion for 80 Series Land Cruisers (91-97)

Accessible through factory sunroof, aftermarket rear sunroof, roof cut away, and from the exterior of the tent.

4 solid rain gutter mounting clamps mounts the hinge top to the well over built Toyota Land Cruiser chassis

Designed to be a low profile camper option with little to no extra wind drag, Lighter, larger roof loads like longboards keep a low appearance to help with drag.

Comparable fuel economy with Westfalia 2wd, Syncro, and 2wd Sportsmobiles with much higher offroad capabilities

Upper bed has similar dimensions to a Westfalia bed

Designed and constructed in Colorado using recyclable 1/8" Aluminum in a solar powered facility by the most talented craftsman.

Living rubber hinges are tested to 50,000 flexes and provide a weather tight front hinge

Estimated material weight of less than 120lbs without cushions

Outdura fabric on walls and cushions are soft to the touch and provide a mildew, rot and water resistant yet very quiet and comfortable sleeping area

Many options will be available:

Custom powder coating or color match paint finish

Custom Fabric colors and prints

Aircraft tie down tracks

Solar panels and both internal and external lighting
Official launch will be at Overland Expo May 18-20 in Flagstaff Arizona

Photo's from prototype V.1 on Kokopelli trail

IMG_4278.jpgIMG_4290.jpgIMG_4301.jpg

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Finally is right! Good on you for developing it here! Now we don't have to be as jealous as we once were with all the cool German campers available for our rigs! We'll be at OVX and i would love to chat about this with you.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words!
After just spending the first few nights out in the back country in it, I am even more excited about it :sombrero: Did I mention it was blowing 40mph+
I look forward to meeting a lot of this community at OX12.

To answer a few questions in no particular order:

-I have started the process for the 60 series and have a few others planned too.

-The side access panels will be available. More details on that soon.

-The amount of roof removal is all up to the user. Zero or all can be removed. I currently have all of the sheet metal behind the farthest rearward roof support cut out. About a 3'x3' opening. This can be cut out carefully without crossing any wires or roof supports (the bed support makes a great jig for 3/4 of the cutting). Pics soon but you can feel in your truck where I have cut through the headliner. I have the plans to remove all of the roof and use a sliding rag top. Rear glass sunroofs are a great option if one should desire.

Last edited:

Loras BR

Observer
Nice!!!

Do you send it to Brazil? :)

The idea of using the factory sun roof is fantastic!!!

I'm very interested. Need to know the price to see if I can afford it.

The taxes to import these things here in Brazil are very high.

Congratulations and luck on the project!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles