Fridge size dilema - for how many people & days do you see out of yours?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"the furthest point you can get away from a McDonald's in the contiguous US is in South Dakota, where you can be 107 miles away from the wonderment that is the McGriddle"

mcdonalds-density-map.jpg

yep must be terrible to live in such remote places !

Now, can you drive out - camp in the middle of no where for a couple of weeks and need lots of food- yes

thats why they make dried foods- beans, pastas and flours where you only need water.

But realistically a week for three can easily be accomodated in a 45-50 ltr
just storing the perishables

feel free to recomend he buy a 90 ltr....

pretty sure he'll be selling it after a few trips after the wife can't pack her clothes and the baby's cot gets left behind !

basicfish

Observer
edgestar 63

At spring break 2 adults and 2 11 yo kids we spent 5 nights at Big Bend Nat Park primitive camping. the 63 was in the back of a Suburban, I vac sealed our meats, cheese,pasta and tortlillas along with 1/2 gallon of milk. Had lots of room in the cooler but it took up a lot of room in the Surburban. it is huge! anything bigger will need its own trailer.but we did not need to restock. I should have bought the 43l. I am thing hard about a WAECO that is 15l, for two people it would work fine.

toymaster

Explorer
yep must be terrible to live in such remote places !

Now, can you drive out - camp in the middle of no where for a couple of weeks and need lots of food- yes

thats why they make dried foods- beans, pastas and flours where you only need water...

Thanks for the red herring argument there. Yes, usually where you find a convenience or grocery store to by ice you'll find a Mc-e-d's. But why the hell would I want to drive 3 hours each way for a bag of ice? And why should I be relegated to dried food if I live in the modern age where we have fridges????

You may now go back to your existance of store hopping.

5Runner

Adventurer
We regularly to 5 night trips with a family of 5 with an Engle 45. It takes some planning, but we still eat good

-We cycle canned drinks, and only keep about a dozen in the fridge. Take one out, put on in.
-We pack milk and orange juice in Nalgene bottles.
-We pack bacon wrapped chicken in tupperwares. On site, you skewer them and put them on the fire.
-We pack shredded cheese in tupperwares. You can pack in shredded cheese like you won't believe.
-We crack 18 eggs ahead of time and put them in a nalgene bottle.
-We fill in the extra spaces with cheese sticks, baby carrot packages, and such.
-We are careful with choosing items that Don't need to be refridgerated. (Like applesauce packs for snacks, not yogurt) (though the wife still squeezes "her" yogurt in.

Use tupperware, square tupperware...and you can fit a lot. Buy consistantly shaped drinks. If it's not a standard can size, we don't buy it. It's also fun to play tetris when packing it up.

The kids are still small now. I fear when my boys get older they will be eating a lot more and space will get tight. At that time I'll consider the twin compartment add-on you can buy to replace the top on the engle 45.

Expedition Leader
"the furthest point you can get away from a McDonald's in the contiguous US is in South Dakota, where you can be 107 miles away from the wonderment that is the McGriddle"

I guarantee you that if you were in The Maze in Canyonlands National Park (for example), it would take you an entire day to get out and drive to Hanksville, Utah, the closest town. But yes, on a map, it is less than 107 miles as the crow flies. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles