Fridge size dilema - for how many people & days do you see out of yours?

perkj

Explorer
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance on what size fridges you all have and number of people and days it supports you on your excursions.

I'm in the market for purchasing a fridge for my LR3 and I'm having a bit of a dilema for which size to get. Initially I was leaning toward an ARB 50 since this would have been plenty of room for my wife and I. However we've now got a little one on the way and due in June, so we need the fridge to handle duties for 3 vs. 2 people going into the future. The fridge will primarily be used for 3-4 day off road camping trips (at primitive sites), but 1-2 week trips would be expected too.

With the LR3 able to handle the ARB 50, 63, and 82, the question is which should I go with? I know a lot of people would just say go with the biggest that you can fit, but I'd prefer to go with the smallest fridge that will support what I'm looking to save on space.

Anyway let me know what size fridge you have and how many people and days you're able to get out of it supporting your trip.

Thanks in advance

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
We have absolutely no problem with 2 people eating for a week out of our ARB 50.

We found that we, and probably many others, were in the habit of refrigerating a lot of stuff that simply doesn't need it. Once we took that out (stored elsewhere), we had plenty of room for 6 or 8 bottles of beer (we keep replacing them as we drink them), and food for a week or more. If the grocery store doesn't refrigerate it - then we don't either (at least not while camping).

toymaster

Explorer
Well goodtimes has a point and 'tis true about a lot of the food we put in the fridge does not need it. Your concern is space. The food takes up the same amount of space if it is in or out of the fridge. A fridge is like a closet or gun safe no matter how large it will get filled.

Plus we don't know how big of eaters ya'll are :) What size ice chest do you use now? That's what I did, I bought the same size fridge that I usually carry. I guess I could have went smaller due to not needing room for ice anymore. If you still don't know then choose the one in the middle...63.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Totally shooting from the hip but these are some of the 'guidelines' I use with our fridge rentals.

1-2 people for 4-7 day - 35 Qt
3-5 people for 2-3 days - 35 Qt
3-5 people for 4-7 days - 50 Qt
5+ people - 60 Qt.

Obviously the menu and food/drink needs will dictate different needs for differing folks but I've found this as a good baseline for my personal trips. I can camp solo for a week+ with my 35 qt but add a few more mouths (cold drink needs) and the 50qt quickly becomes the winner.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Having owned a wide range of fridges here are my thoughts..
go for the 63 & a slide then build a drawer next to it and a platform over the top.

This would give you additional storage above the fridge whereas if you go for the 50 you won't get that space.
Also you get a deep drawer (or 2 shallow ones) to storage the recovery gear low & kitchen gear higher which means easy access quickly if there is a need. Your swing out door gives you place to mount a drop down table so that helps.

With a little one you are carrying snacks, food for them, beverages and normal food. While a 50 would work fine you would be stacking and unstacking items alot as it is deep vs long like the 63.
Powerwise you won't see a big jump in needs between the 50 & 63 but you will like having the extra space.

Yeah this method means spending more up front but in a weekend you can build & install the rear setup and be done. Plus if you remove the fridge between trips then you can a coverage storage location for groceries, stroller and such.

Much depends on how you are setting up & using your rig...if the rear needs to be open between trips then disregard all of the above :)

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
This suggestion might be over the top, particularly given the space constraints of your LR, but if you end up headed towards one of the very large fridges you might give some thought to two smaller fridges rather than a single large fridge. Kind of by happenstance we ended up with an ARB 50 Qt, and a 43 Qt Engel (We bought the ARB to go in the back of our FJ Cruiser, and then later bought an AT Horizon that had the Engel).

We've found it very useful at times to have both a fridge and a freezer. Some fresh foods would do better being frozen rather than refrigerated for a week. There are tricks to work around this; for example you can freeze some food before you leave and then store it in the fridge while it defrosts slowly over the first several days of your trip. Having a freezer also enables such luxuries as ice cream to go on top of that berry cobbler you make in the dutch oven, or ice for your cocktails after you've been out on the trail for a week.

Anyway, given the choice between a single 63 or 83 Qt ARB vs. a couple smaller models I'd take the flexibility of two if they fit in my vehicle.

toymaster

Explorer
Well, to complicate things even further there are models out there with two compartments you have the option of fridge/freezer, fridge/fridge, or freezer/freezer. :camping: :chef:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I love Dave's idea of a fridge and a freezer box! However, in my LR3, my family of 4 used an ARB 50Qt just fine for week long trips. Remember that there is no ice. It's amazing how much space there is to actually use when you subtract bags of space hogging ice!

Expedition Leader
We found that we, and probably many others, were in the habit of refrigerating a lot of stuff that simply doesn't need it. Once we took that out (stored elsewhere), we had plenty of room for ... food for a week or more. If the grocery store doesn't refrigerate it - then we don't either (at least not while camping).

My experience also. I bought an ARB 37 qt. fridge because space is at a premium in my FJ40, but it holds plenty for two people for a week. Sometimes I wish I had an even smaller one, for shorter trips and to use in a car seat on a road trip.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I know our 60 in the trailer is filled for our family outings of 3-4 days but we could cut back ? but its nice to have the room
in our rig is a 45 have used it also for 3-4 day at a time our kids like their milk and that is the only thing that seems to take up a lot of room and we felt like we needed more space with family of 4 but could do it

trying to get better about vacum packing certain things and laying them flat on a sheet pan when freezing or in the fridge helps manage space

also the small baskets for the top make it easier to get to stuff and seem to pack more efficient I think they are from two zone

4x4junkie

Explorer
We have absolutely no problem with 2 people eating for a week out of our ARB 50.

We found that we, and probably many others, were in the habit of refrigerating a lot of stuff that simply doesn't need it. Once we took that out (stored elsewhere), we had plenty of room for 6 or 8 bottles of beer (we keep replacing them as we drink them), and food for a week or more. If the grocery store doesn't refrigerate it - then we don't either (at least not while camping).

This is the secret for sure. Bring as much food as you can that doesn't need refrigeration, and only refrigerate whatever meal ingredients require it (me and a buddy have gone almost two weeks out of my Edgestar 43 quart unit when packed efficiently).

As just one example, I like to make pasta at least one or two nights whenever I go out. I have to have meat sauce, so of course the fridge would be storing some ground beef for the sauce, but if you go meatless (or use pre-jarred meat sauce:smilies27 ), then you can still have a hearty meal without a single component of which stored in the fridge.
I also try to keep a quantity of non-perishable snackables on hand so you're not consuming quite as much at dinner time (chips, crackers, granola bars, even the occasional Pop Tart too).

If you like to load up on BBQ ribs, steaks, burgers, chicken, etc. each night, then of course the fridge is gonna become full quicker before leaving home, and go empty a lot quicker while you're out.

motoz

Adventurer
We have and ARB 60lt and it suits us fine for a week or two. Milk, juice wine and beer in the front as well as all the meat etc in the back. I chose the 60lt over the 47lt as although itd wider its not as tall so it fits in the tub of our duel cab truck better.

Vacuume pack all your meat and even pre cooked meals then freeze flat to save space. Its great to have the extra cooling space when needed.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We run our engel 45 as a freezer- drinks and ice in a cool box- as the days go on we make ice and replenish the cooler

really in the US you can'ty go that far without having a store for re-supply of ice or food

Mindyou I'd like a national luna weekender 50 with the twin compartments !

Expedition Leader
You may want to visit Wyoming sometime.

Or Nevada, the Navajo Nation, or west Texas... lots of places. A couple of years ago, I went on a Bill Burke guided trip through northern Colorado. We took a week to go from Fort Collins to Hahn's Peak (north of Steamboat Springs) and barely touched pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles