First TC. Please Advise: Old FWC vs. Other.

Hello all, I posted this over at RV.net and they suggested posting my question here...so here goes.

I am looking to get my first camper...

First off, the camper I am looking for needs to fit a 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins short bed.

This camper will be mounted full time, I will be going to work with it on daily and driving to find the fish on the weekends. Could drive as much as 400 miles per week. This will technically be my residence, my work puts me up in a hotel 4 days per week and the other 3 will be spent in this.

I decided I want a pop up camper because I want the low profile, especially using this as a daily driver. I also want something that is light weight.

Potentially thinking of flatbeding the truck (or if I can find a utility SB body) and having storage on the side. But that's in the future.

That's the background, here's my questions:

I have found for sale two campers that I am considering, and I am hoping for some input on which to select. My budget is low ($2k or less).

Options:

1988 Four Seasons Mini Magnum Camper
-Made for 6 foot bed (currently in a Ford Ranger)
-Re-done interior
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvs/2951653848.html

1985 Four Wheel Camper (Granby Model)
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/2958300691.html
-Owner says no leaks/mildew but the pop up cloth is cracked at all 4 corners.
-I have read people are running the Granby in a 3/4 ton short bed just fine, i am not particularly fond of how it looks hanging off the back though.

Both weigh in less than 800lbs.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also-Please don't buy either of these from under me!

Hawkz

Adventurer
If the four seasons is setup for a Ford Ranger your bed sides may be too tall. You could put something cheap under the camper so it'll clear the bed sides/cab roof, or maybe do some storage under the camper. Just something to consider.

The updated interior in the Four Seasons does look nicer for the money...

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Well--I also have an '88 Four Seasons Magnum! (not the mini)

That Magnum is in very nice condition. It has more modern cushions, table, curtains and cabinets than mine and I wonder if the opposed bench dinette was part of the re-model. Mine has a L-shaped bench with the long portion running down the passenger side and a longer, rectangular table. Mine had those exterior stripes (but red/black--those gray-black ones look better!) but I have since painted it. Hmm--I do like those cabinet doors. I may have to do something like that someday.

The Mini-Magnum is about a foot shorter than the Granby (regular Magnum is close to the same length) but the width of both campers is similar. The Magnum would likely need to be spaced up a little to fit your truck. The previous owner of mine had it on a Ram and the cab-over was sitting on the cab roof. The underside of the camper cab-over still has paint on it from his truck cab. This doesn't seem ideal. I have it on a Toyota mini-truck and it fits nicely. Mine has a nice-sized double sink that is rare in pop-ups and great for doin' dishes--I'm not sure if the mini-Mag has it too. I like the 8-foot floor length for the stretch-out room and nice-size storage closet aft of the dinette. I don't mind the camper sticking out the back--it lines up with the back of the open tailgate.

The Magnum has a simple, reliable roof lift mechanism (as does the 4-wheel) and a nice, aluminum foam-core roof that appears to be seamless. I've never had the slightest hint of a leak. My parents are constantly chasing roof leaks with their Toyota class-C camper.

My only gripe with the Magnum is that the rear camper door goes all the way to the top of the camper with no structure above it. This reduces integrity--mine started widening out in the back until the door wouldn't stay latched. I ratchet-strapped the back of the camper together and put in a piece of strip steel across the back of the camper above the door. Now it's much more structurally-sound. Also, mine originally required the back of the roof to be unlatched and lifted slightly in order to open the back door. I cut off the aluminum lip on the top of the door so now it can be opened without unlatching the roof.

Both campers are low-profile for improved aerodynamics and overhead clearance. The downside is that there is no storage under the cab over mattress and the roof is lower when in the down position (no sitting on the couch with the top down). Many campers have a higher profile that allows for under-bed storage.

I have the Magnum on the truck full-time but it only gets driven for camping.

The lift system on the Granby is a great system for those who like to load/unload the camper often. It's also somewhat heavy and can get in the way of trail obstacles when driving off-highway. It's always something you could remove and sell though.

Good luck with the decision.

Eric

P1020299.jpg

P1010767.jpg

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Measure the width of the rear of the FWC - in 1985 they were about 64" wide. Your 2005 Dodge is only about 61" between the tailgate posts. FWC (and presumably the other TC manufacturers) narrowed their campers in/around 1991 to accommodate the narrower truck beds.

I'm one of those people with a long bed camper on a short bed truck. You're right - they look a little goofy hanging out the back, but that isn't the worst of it. The center of gravity on the camper is a lot closer to the rear axle when you put a long bed camper on a short bed truck. That puts nearly all the added load on the rear suspension, and little on the front suspension. As a result, the truck doesn't handle as good as it should, and the rear suspension is a bit soft. It's not bad, but it could be better. The up-side is all the extra room in the camper (33% more floor space than a Hawk). We're happy with it - but could stand to put a set of airbags under the back.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
If you have an 05' Dodge Ram, the 1985 Grandby probably won't fit.

The camper looks all stock / original, and will be TOO wide to fit in your newer truck.

Might as well save you the trip to go look at it.

BTW: That camper looks more vintage, it is probably a 1978 - 1979, or a 1980 model.

The camper won't be worth all that much, maybe $1000, or so.

Most of the value in that $1500 asking price is the stable lift jacks, lol.

:)

And you won't want those jacks on a FWC anyhoo -- too much hardware hanging down low.

For camper fit this is the basic guide ...

Four Wheel Campers built before 1990 will usually only fit ..

Chevy Trucks built in 1988 or older

Dodge Trucks built in 1993 or older

Ford F-150 Trucks built in 1996 or older

Ford F-250 / F-350 Trucks built in 1998 or older

So for your 2005 Dodge Ram, you will need to find a used Four Wheel Camper that was built in 1990, or newer than 1990.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

: )

Well I did it, I bought the Four Seasons camper! $1,800. Here's a picture of what it's going on to:

img20120416185009.jpg

And here she is on the old owners truck:

018yi.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

019gmd.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

020hpr.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

014ujx.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

021ijc.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

016rfw.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

017god.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-16

022ov.jpg

I am going to have to raise the camper 4 inches to clear the cab and bed rails. I will do this with blocked 2x4's on edge and a sheet of 1/2" plywood.

The problem: Mounting. The previous owner mounted the camper by drilling holes through the bed floor (and camper) and bolting. I don't want to do this, this thing is going to see lots of washboard roads. Any ideas for me?

I am in the planning stages of a flatbed and utility box sides, but for now I just want to get it mounted. This thing is going to be a fishing machine!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Congrats! They did a nice job with the interior. It's giving me all kinds of ideas.

For mounting, mine had some large eye-bolts installed in the camper side-overhangs. Some manufacturers such as Coyote in Denver use large ratchet straps to go between truck bed anchors and mounting points on the camper. At the moment I'm using a large cargo strap that passes through the lower front corner of the camper. I'd like to bolt it down to the floor though, myself. I might tackle that this summer.

They got theirs in the garage?! Mine won't fit, but I think I have a shorter door and a taller truck.

Have fun with it!

Congrats! They did a nice job with the interior. It's giving me all kinds of ideas.

For mounting, mine had some large eye-bolts installed in the camper side-overhangs. Some manufacturers such as Coyote in Denver use large ratchet straps to go between truck bed anchors and mounting points on the camper. At the moment I'm using a large cargo strap that passes through the lower front corner of the camper. I'd like to bolt it down to the floor though, myself. I might tackle that this summer.

They got theirs in the garage?! Mine won't fit, but I think I have a shorter door and a taller truck.

Have fun with it!

Hey tanglefoot, can you post a couple pictures of how you used a strap through the front corner of the camper to secure? Since I am only going to mount this thing temporarily on my truck bed body while I am getting the utility body ready I don't see the need to bolt it down to the floor. I'll bolt it down when I mount it permanently on the utility body. Any ideas for a good temporary solution would be great. Thanks.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
P1020494.jpg

The strap passes through the front bottom corner of the floor under the water tank. I threaded the strap through with a pole before loading the camper. This may or may not work with a pick-up truck. Mine's actually a 4Runner so it has no cab wall. The strap is tied into the seat belt anchors in the cab. If you do have anchors in the lower front corners of your truck bed and have enough room to reach in and attach the straps, it could work.

You would also want to strap down the back of the camper. Mine is wedged very tightly in the tailgate area so I only need to hold it forward and down.

Mine had some eye-bolts installed in the overhangs. You could do something similar to have some tie-down points on the camper.

P1020495.jpg

Last edited:

UglyScout

Observer
I'm a day late but....

I would have told you to hold out for a mid 90's FWC. If you are going to be spending a ton of time in one - you will want the extra room that comes with a camper designed for a full size truck.

I have a '93 FWC Grandby and love it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94