Am I Crazy? SportsRig Trailer

G_fresh

Adventurer
Am I cray? I want to try one of these SportsRig Classic trailers (http://www.sportsrig.com/Canoe-and-Kayak-Trailers.php) on the Mojave Road (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Road).

My friend has one he would let me borrow. But, if I destroy it, I'll have to pony up his selling price. Does anyone think it will make it?

It is really lightweight - guessing around 200 pounds. It's suspension is tuned to a 250 pounds payload (max weight).

My gut/very limited experience says it will be fine on the slower, technical sections. Even if it scrapes some rocks, as long as it it slow, the trailer won't explode. Also, it should be fine at highway speeds since that is what it is designed for.

The terrain that concerns me is the higher speed wash board sections. If the suspension is tuned as advertised and I don't overload it, it shouldn't bounce and flip or anything, right? The shocks could certainly over heat. Would this cause them to explode or just leak?

I want to try this for a few reasons. First, I want to get a Chaser trailer (I think). This would be a good "proof of concept" test for the logistics of running a trailer (i.e. watch out when you back up, pull-trough parking, picking lines, etc.). So, this would not be a permanent overlanding trailer. Second, we need more camp gear storage to and from OX12 since we'll have 3 people for two weeks living out of our 80 series Land Cruiser.

Here are some pics of what this looks like...

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

Thanks for the informed opinions!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The slow technical sections won't be the problem - it's the high speed washboard that destroys trailers.

You'll want to match the load on the trailer to the suspension that it has.

Too much weight, and you run through your suspension travel too fast, risking damage from bottoming out the suspension, shocks overheat & can fail, the trailer wallows around a lot, . . .

Too little weight, and the trailer bounces all over the place because there isn't enough weight to force the suspension to work.

I've never seen one of those trailers - so I have no idea if it will live or not.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Agree that washboard roads will tax that trailer and probably break it. Also, a good roof rack could safely carry far more weight and bulk that that trailer could

I understand that you want to get some hands on trailer experience but I would advise against tearing up that little canoe trailer. If Adventure Trailers was still here in California you could renta the real thing and learn with that.

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
One of the best techniques to help with washboard is deflating your tires. I doubt that will help with those tires. I'd also wonder how well the wire spoked wheels would handle side loads. Motorcycles don't deal with side load much and I'm guessing that's what those wheels are from. It also looks like the trailing arms are not triangulated. This stresses the joints on the trailing arms, greatly. If the shocks are bottoming out, you're done. Mojave Road has a big mix of everything from washboard to woops. I'd bet you'll find something out there, that would love to eat that trailer for lunch. Unless you have a welder with you, be prepared to leave the trailer somewhere on the trail.

I'm toying with selling my trailer. Maybe we could work out a little rent to try and buy deal??? Details in my sig.

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I would be very leary of this trailer. It is not desgined for off road, side forces will be destructive to say the least. Borrow someone's trailer and get a real idea of what you want. You could actually rent one of those small Uhaul trailers and get a better idea I think. My guess is that you would tear it apart.

G_fresh

Adventurer
Ok, you guys talked me out of it. I really like the point of the lateral forces not being addressed in this suspension...

I'm toying with selling my trailer. Maybe we could work out a little rent to try and buy deal??? Details in my sig.

Woods, I read through your thread over the last couple days. Your trailer is impressive.

If you would be willing to rent your trailer, I am definitely interested.

I don't want to mislead you though. My intentions at this moment are still to get a Chaser. If you think your trailer has a chance at winning me over, I am game to try it out.

Our trip plan is to go to OX12. Then, we'll head to Bryce, Zion, and maybe Canyonlands NP. We may hit one, two day long dirt road drive while up there. I can get you the name of the road if you let me know. Then, we'll meet my brother on the AZ side of the Mojave road and take three days to complete it. Then, back home. So, no real technical off-roading like Moab or anything.

Let me know if still interested.

Again, thanks to all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles