Small Gasoline Safe Fuel Bottles

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
I attempted searching on this subject but just couldn't get my "search-****" to work this evening because I'm certain it's been discussed here already, I just can't find it.

I'm looking for a small fuel bottle or three, 1L preferred, that is safe to use with gasoline. I've read on other sites of many using MSR white fuel bottles but the lack of venting just plain scares me, especially since in my setup the bottle(s) would be in a side box or right under my seat. Are my concerns valid or is this the standard thing to do if you need small amounts of reserve fuel?

In case it helps what I'm trying to accomplish is extra fuel for the new 100mpg Honda PCX 125 scooter I purchased. It's going to be my primary commuter but I'll also be going on longer trips since it'll easily run 60mph which is plenty fast for trips through the backroads. In fact next month I'll be taking it from home here in North Alabama 300 miles into southern Georgia, which is why I'm looking for the fuel bottle solution. While not a necessity I want the piece of mind of an extra liter or so of fuel in case a planned fuel stop isn't available. All of this also ties together here somewhat because I'm planning to get into expedition motorcycles in 12-24 months depending on my decision to keep or sell my current truck.

As always thanks for any help or suggestions!

Expedition Leader
I have always used MSR bottles and never had a problem, even in a hot saddle bag in the summer. The important thing is, not to fill them all the way. There is a line marked on them (newer ones anyway) that clearly says "do not fill above this line".

zolo

Explorer
Yep, MSR bottles are fine.
We used them to carry Saw gas on the fire line in the USFS. That is a very hot environment and they were trouble free.
After we beat the hell out of them for a few seasons the tops would eventually wear out. But they were fine in the heat.

Cody1771

Explorer
that and Rotopax makes small, i think 2L fuel cans for motorbikes. seen people with them attached to there paniers. twisted throttle makes a bunch of mounts for the MSR bottles to attach them securly to your bike.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use MSR bottles too. As mentioned, don't over fill them. There needs to be some room for thermal expansion. You don't really want a vent on them anyway - it's going to make all your gear smell like gas. Besides - the gas will continue to evaporate until it reaches a given pressure (which is directly related to the temperature inside the can). If you relieve that pressure (via a vent), more gas will evaporate until that pressure is reached again. That's why plastic gas cans always bulge out when they heat up in the sun, regardless of how often you vent the pressure off of them (unless, of course, you leave the vent open).

masterplumber

Observer
I used 2 of the MSR bottles for a year in my Pelican box on the back with no problems. Was glad to have them on the way to Expo last year as I pushed it a little to far between fuel stops once. Now I have Roto pax on Wolfman racks on my KLR. They're 1 gal each & I usually run water on one side & gas on the other. Works great & rock solid but definitely not as cheap as a couple MSR bottles in the bags/ box, or wherever you can fit them.

toymaster

Explorer
MSRs are great I've got three, two red ones and a fancy titanium one. Use without fear, the only thing is when you open them expect a little gas to spray out. Mine, that are 10 years old, have a small vent hole just before the threads disengage. I'm sure the new style caps have it too. That way the pressure is vented before you fully open them. I've carried them on my back and truck for years without an issue.

jgolden

Adventurer
I prerun for the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 on my dirt bike. I used small gatorade bottles for many years with no problems, and I would carry them in a backpack.

KHJPHOTO

Adventurer
IMG_2126.jpg

Love 'em!

Clutch

<---Pass
I prerun for the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 on my dirt bike. I used small gatorade bottles for many years with no problems, and I would carry them in a backpack.

Yerrrp, Gatorade bottles work just fine...and are dirt cheap...so cheap, I dump that nasty swill on the ground before I pour gas in...

dieselhaulin

Mountain dew bottles ******, carry them in my saddle bags on my moped. I can go to Spokane from Tacoma with just what I can fit in my saddle bags.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I've been using some MSR/Primus bottles, but they sure don't hold much gas. Only time I've used one was to give to another rider and it only got him a few more miles. Pouring them into the gas tank gets a little dicey too.

I also carry a super siphon to share gas or get gas from someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles