Toyota Tercel 4wd or Altrac Wagon

shralp17

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these vehicles? Reliability, mpg, etc. I am looking for a commuter vehicle with 4wd capability. Thank you for your time.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Geez, that goes back a while. I bought the Tercel 4WD new, and it was a good little rig that never gave me a minute's trouble. It was, on the other hand, glacially slow, to the point of feeling a bit scary on an urban freeway (says the man with a Samurai).

The fuel economy was OK for the day, but nothing to brag about now: 21 city/23 highway/22 combined.

It's the only car I ever had with a factory-installed inclinometer. Or with big blocky blue and white plaid upholstery. Virtually a cult car now, I think.

Very hard to find these days. There was one down the street from me for a while. Rust had not been kind. You might have better luck with a Subaru, they seem to be more plentiful.

ctp13

Very hard to find these days. There was one down the street from me for a while. Rust had not been kind. You might have better luck with a Subaru, they seem to be more plentiful.

I dont know what happend to make someone only get 21 mpg but I still have one gets 30mpg at 75mph True its turtle slow up hill but on the flat it more than keeps up
you can buy them dirt cheap lots going for less tham $1000 yes its old and not attractive but its the most reliable car Iv everowned The trans ( six speed) is weak its slow its funky but its also a four seat hatch back wagon that gets 30 MPG and costs less than five good tires for my VW syncro .

There is a web list for them see: http://www.tercel4wd.com/index.php?sid=56f73af186392de1e87f83d649656de2

Good luck

No grate way to lift one but they can handle most trails that dont have big rocks

Finlay

Triarius
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these vehicles? Reliability, mpg, etc. I am looking for a commuter vehicle with 4wd capability. Thank you for your time.

I used to have a 84 Tercel 4wd wagon. With a good set of tires, that thing was unstoppable in mud or snow; it took a surprising amount of effort to get it stuck. Underpowered at speed - a 1.4 liter transverse FWD/4WD with a single barrel carburetor and a 3 speed auto...

It's not a speed demon. But it was reliable. I think I got 220,000 trouble free miles out that beast before the drivers side suspension finally gave way and the wheel came off. I was sorry to see it go.

Funny story - I got popped by a county mounty on highway 51 near Rhinelander at about 3 am one day in 95 or 96. He said he pinged me doing 95 in a 55 in that car. Everyone knows that car couldn't go that fast if you threw it out the rear of a C130, but he wrote the ticket anyway. A month or so later, I dutifully reported for court and tried to talk the prosecutor into throwing the ticket out, to no avail. We got in front of the judge and as I laid out my case, the judge mentioned that he had one of a similar vintage and condition. He asked me if I was speeding, and I replied that I probably was, but it couldn't possibly have been that much.

So, he wrote it down to 9 over, no points, 40 dollar fine. And the dirtiest of dirty looks from the prosecutor.

Great little car. But honestly, I'd be impressed if you couldn't find something more modern and reliable for the same money.

shralp17

Thanks for replying, I think it is more of a luxury than practical, I am mainly looking for a commuter and probably should buy something built in the 90's or 00's. But I like the styling of the Tercel's, Altrac's, and old Subarus especially the plaid interior. I used to have a Subaru Loyale and should have kept it.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
very briefly had a 90's corolla alltrac wagon. Drove it on a 13 hour road trip and around town for quite a bit....also did some dirt roads.

-Excellent fuel economy....I got over 30mpg on the highway
-Slowest vehicle I have ever driven....1.6l + awd + auto + wagon = dog slow. However I always thought it would be cool to slap on a supercharger from an mr2 and then it would great!
-Tons of space
-Better than subaru styling/unique
-Comfy

All in all I would consider one as a daily driver! Great cars if you're not in a super big hurry. The only all trac I would truly own though (and want badly) is a celica (awd+3sgte=mmmm)

Finlay

Triarius
Thanks for replying, I think it is more of a luxury than practical, I am mainly looking for a commuter and probably should buy something built in the 90's or 00's. But I like the styling of the Tercel's, Altrac's, and old Subarus especially the plaid interior. I used to have a Subaru Loyale and should have kept it.

Yeah, the 80s subarus were cool. I really liked the spare tire under the aircleaner. Nice use of space.

Cars had way better styling back then, I think.

My roomate bought subaru wagon used. I drove him out to see it and it was a decent deal so he bought it then and there. But he gets in it and realizes it's a stick. So, he comes running over to my car and asks to drive mine home and then I can teach him to drive a stick later that afternoon.

I agree, and stand there silently as he takes my keys and goes to my car. He gets in, fiddles for a bit, gets out, and then comes over.

"Your car is a stick, too!"

I nearly fell over laughing. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles