'87 Suburban won't start after cap and rotor change

ctb619

Recently purchased a 1987 V2500 Suburban with a 350 TBI. It has been nothing but trouble so far, but I'm not quite ready to give up on her.

I finally had it running really well after swapping/fixing lots of parts (battery, water pump, radiator, hoses, belts, spark plugs, knock sensor, map sensor, coolant temperature sensor) and fixing a vacuum leak. My mechanic recommended I replace the spark plug wires and make sure they are routed away from the exhaust manifold because there was still a slight misfire. While I was at it, I decided I might as well replace the cap and rotor.

Well, now it won't start. I'm getting spark at the plugs, and I've checked the order on the distributor cap about 10 times to make sure the firing order is right. I tried going back to the old cap and rotor to see if the new parts were faulty, but with no success. I think it has something to do with the timing but I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

v2500.jpeg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
did you move the distributor?

how did you test for spark at the plugs?

did you try pulling the cap and setting the engine to top dead center and reset your wires?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
We had an 88 suburban, and an 89 blazer, both with 350 tbi's, and I know some people love these vehicles, but they were both 2 of the most craptastic vehicles I've owned.

From dead power windows, dead fuel pumps, crapped out A/C systems,tons of rattles/squeeks, leaking/trouble prone axles(10,12 and 14 bolt), to slipping/exploding tranny's (th400, AND the torqueflite 727) and tbi motors that had non-starts, stumbling idle issues, etc.

My wife who is best described as vehicle neutral most of the time, actually turns up her nose, and scowls when she see's a mid-80's chevy product..hahah!!

So, I feel your pain, bro. Good luck with your repairs. Good on ya for fighting the good fight. :)

ctb619

did you move the distributor?

how did you test for spark at the plugs?

did you try pulling the cap and setting the engine to top dead center and reset your wires?

I didn't touch the distributor. I pulled one of the plugs and wired it to the negative terminal on the battery and turned the ignition. Spark looked good. Haven't tried setting to TDC yet, I think that's my next move. Thanks for the feedback.

ctb619

We had an 88 suburban, and an 89 blazer, both with 350 tbi's, and I know some people love these vehicles, but they were both 2 of the most craptastic vehicles I've owned.

From dead power windows, dead fuel pumps, crapped out A/C systems,tons of rattles/squeeks, leaking/trouble prone axles(10,12 and 14 bolt), to slipping/exploding tranny's (th400, AND the torqueflite 727) and tbi motors that had non-starts, stumbling idle issues, etc.

My wife who is best described as vehicle neutral most of the time, actually turns up her nose, and scowls when she see's a mid-80's chevy product..hahah!!

So, I feel your pain, bro. Good luck with your repairs. Good on ya for fighting the good fight. :)

lol, good stuff. Yeah, it's starting to look like a real POS. But I'm hoping to at least take it on a couple of trips before I write it off and move on to another vehicle.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
lol, good stuff. Yeah, it's starting to look like a real POS. But I'm hoping to at least take it on a couple of trips before I write it off and move on to another vehicle.

Again, good for you. :)

Sucked in my situation, cuz I REALLY like the body style, and feel like their sizes, respectively, are very useful for my big family (3 kids + wife...all girls = tons of stuff)

I'm jumping the gun here, but would a 6.2L diesel be in your budget/scope? I know you've put a ton of work into yours already, but I'm still a big proponent of "the cheapest option is repairing the vehicle you already own"... 6.2's don't have a lot of power, but they seem pretty reliable, and get darned good mileage.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer

lol you had a dodge tranny in your chevy? and was your 14 bolt a full float or semi float? im guessing in a burb it was a semi float so ya its only marginally better than a 12 bolt

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I didn't touch the distributor. I pulled one of the plugs and wired it to the negative terminal on the battery and turned the ignition. Spark looked good. Haven't tried setting to TDC yet, I think that's my next move. Thanks for the feedback.

i have never heard of checking spark this way, most people pull the plug, put it back in the wire and hold it to the frame (with rubber grip pliers) while someone turns the key

ctb619

i have never heard of checking spark this way, most people pull the plug, put it back in the wire and hold it to the frame (with rubber grip pliers) while someone turns the key

I honestly don't know which way is correct. But either way you're just grounding the spark plug, right?

ctb619

Again, good for you. :)

Sucked in my situation, cuz I REALLY like the body style, and feel like their sizes, respectively, are very useful for my big family (3 kids + wife...all girls = tons of stuff)

I'm jumping the gun here, but would a 6.2L diesel be in your budget/scope? I know you've put a ton of work into yours already, but I'm still a big proponent of "the cheapest option is repairing the vehicle you already own"... 6.2's don't have a lot of power, but they seem pretty reliable, and get darned good mileage.

Funny you mention that, because I was initially looking for a 6.2 when I came across this one on Craigslist. Well, needless to say, it was cheap for a reason. A 6.2 is where I'd like to end up, it's just a matter of deciding which is easier/cheaper: an engine swap, or a completely different vehicle.

ExpoMike

All you need is air, fuel and spark... in the right combination of course. If you are getting spark and air, are you sure you are getting fuel? I assume you got the rotor on the right way. I think they are keyed to only go on one way but with the quality of some parts now a days, who know.

If you rotate the crank to line up the timing mark on TDC, your rotor should be pointing at either the front driver side of the engine (almost pointing at the #1 cylinder) or 180* opposite (pass. rear corner). Could be a fuel pump, computer, bad neutral safety switch (have you giggled the shift lever). Does it have the VATS system? Seen those keys go bad or the contacts where they hit be a problem.

Start with the basics.

Also to add: Some of the GM systems require a minimum oil pressure to allow the computer to start the engine. A bad oil pressure sensor or even pulling the wire off the sensor can cause a no start problem. They typically turn off the fuel pump, so you'll see spark but no fuel. Make sure when you routed the wires, you didn't get anything disconnected.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
lol you had a dodge tranny in your chevy? and was your 14 bolt a full float or semi float? im guessing in a burb it was a semi float so ya its only marginally better than a 12 bolt

haha, I'm a dork, no not the 727, it was the 700R4...lol.

and yes, semi-float..

ctb619

Good news! It starts and runs now. Bad news, I really don't know what was causing the problem to begin with. I simple took everything apart, and put it back together, and it fired up this time :confused:

But I shouldn't be complaining, it's great to have it running again. Now just have to get it to pass smog :)

Thanks, everyone

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Good news! It starts and runs now. Bad news, I really don't know what was causing the problem to begin with. I simple took everything apart, and put it back together, and it fired up this time :confused:

But I shouldn't be complaining, it's great to have it running again. Now just have to get it to pass smog :)

Thanks, everyone

Check the coil wire. Maybe it didn't click on completly, maybe the wire is pulling out of the metal clip in the boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles