Dirtmobile - A KTM 990 Build

Mechanical

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the info on the bags. I was thinking of the Hepco & Becker "KTM" cases Zolo was mentioning. I think I'll probably just go with those... if they make me a good deal on them. I should be picking up the bike this afternoon, after the long trip to Colorado. :rally_guys:

Frank

Explorer
And what I am saying is they offer more than those cases. These too are stamped both KTM and TT like yours are stamped both ways. They too have been purchased from the parts dept of the KTM dealer.

There are options from the parts counter. That said, I think I would actually go for the plastic panniers as I have mentioned, the metal lids arent made to 'last' ...but can be replaced cheap from TT.

zolo

Explorer
Thanks for all of the info on the bags. I was thinking of the Hepco & Becker "KTM" cases Zolo was mentioning. I think I'll probably just go with those... if they make me a good deal on them. I should be picking up the bike this afternoon, after the long trip to Colorado. :rally_guys:

No worries, post pics when you get it. I think that its a great bike no matter the bags and in WY like I said it will be way fun with the amount of places and dirt to ride.
Congrats

And what I am saying is they offer more than those cases. These too are stamped both KTM and TT like yours are stamped both ways. They too have been purchased from the parts dept of the KTM dealer.

There are options from the parts counter. That said, I think I would actually go for the plastic panniers as I have mentioned, the metal lids arent made to 'last' ...but can be replaced cheap from TT.

Im glad you and your friend got the panniers you wanted. KTM seems offer many options. Cool bike and nicely set up. Have fun man.

Mechanical

Adventurer
It's kind of a crappy picture, but you get the idea. I meant to stop and take more pictures, but I was just having too much fun riding it. I absolutely love everything about the bike!

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
Holly hell that is a nice looking KTM.
I freaking dig the Black Gobi cases on the white. Man that looks great. Talk about a fun bike. I'm jealous and I have one.

Congrats man. I bet that was a good first ride. I hope the good ole WY wind wasn't to terrible.

Mechanical

Adventurer
Holly hell that is a nice looking KTM.
I freaking dig the Black Gobi cases on the white. Man that looks great. Talk about a fun bike. I'm jealous and I have one.

Congrats man. I bet that was a good first ride. I hope the good ole WY wind wasn't to terrible.

Haha, thanks! I'll try to get some better pictures of it this week. Random parking lot pictures never turn out very well.

It was beautiful here, around 70 deg with no wind. I completed the entire break in interval over three days! The bike is amazingly fun, what a screaming banshee!

One quick question...
While adjusting the suspension, I was having trouble getting the dust boots off of the bottom of the forks (where you adjust the compression damping). Do you just take a screwdriver and pry the edge of the boot up? I can't really find anything about this online, and I don't want to tear the boots.

Let me know when you are going to Baja. I really want to do some long distance rides!

Last edited:

Mechanical

Adventurer
Very sexy!

Thanks Frank. I really like your KLR. It has been a lot of fun reading through your build thread, it's a great wealth of knowledge for the KLR people. I referenced it many times while I still had mine.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Thanks! I didnt think many people were looking at it with the lack of replies. I will be updating it shortly.

A 990 will be my next bike!

Last edited:

Mechanical

Adventurer
More Pics

Adds 10 hp to the bike, no $80.00 ECU reflash required.

Now I need to get it dirty... it's looking far too clean.

Last edited:
I've been lusting after a 990 for the last three years...

I'm curious to hear a KLR/KTM comparison. I"m sure there's something each bike does better than the other.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've been lusting after a 990 for the last three years...

I'm curious to hear a KLR/KTM comparison. I"m sure there's something each bike does better than the other.

The only thing I can think of that a KLR will do that a KTM can't, is pass a gas station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles