Specs Of Your Off-road Trailer

medic83

Observer
I'm in the process of building my trailer and have have been doing lots of research. I know we all have different size trailers, weights, accessories, etc... I havent seen people posting the weight of their trailers and the leaf spring rates. My trailer has 3000 lb leaf springs from the original trailer. Obviously mine doesnt weigh that much. Trailer alone is approx. 1150- 1200 lbs. add another 120 for the RTT and then like 300-500 for gear, fuel etc.... so my trailer will never be above 2000lbs.

It would be great if you can post a pic or link to your trailer and answer some of my questions. Im just trying to get an idea and maybe start a thread for those that want to build their own. Maybe even post detailed pics of your Box and frame.

1) What does your trailer weigh? Gross ( all loaded) Net ( trailer only)
2) Do you have leaf springs? What spring rate are they?
3) Are you running shocks? If so, what length shock?
4) Are you running trailer brakes?
5) What pound axle are you running?
6) What gauge steel is your Box and floor?
7) Fully boxed frame or C -Channel?
8) What hitch system? Pintle? Max Coupler?
9) What size tires?

Im sure Ill have more questions... But that is a good start. Im just really having a hard time figuring out the springs. Ive already done everything else. Just would like to have a thread with lots of info. Ill update with my specs tonight.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Find the correct rated springs for the load. Run low air preasure and you will be fine.

There are hundreds of threads answering your questions, with thousands of pictures. You will find what you need is my guess.

Woods

Explorer
I think this is a good idea for a thread. I know a lot of guys are looking for some dimension info too, some items that I would add to your list.
- Track width (overall width at the outside of the tires)
- Overall length
- Distance from hitch to axle
- Tongue weight loaded and empty
- Does it sway or bounce empty or loaded?

1) What does your trailer weigh? Gross ( all loaded) Net ( trailer only)
- 850 lbs. Dry with Box, Kitchen and Water Tanks all of which are removable.
- 1,250 with 10 gallons fuel, 20 gallons water and all my gear.

2) Do you have leaf springs? What spring rate are they? - Air Bags

3) Are you running shocks? If so, what length shock? - EMPI pn 9652 shocks, 10.5 to 16.25 long

4) Are you running trailer brakes? - No but wish I was for extreme downhill sand driving.

5) What pound axle are you running? - 3,500 lbs axle hubs. Would have run lighter, but I required 5 on 5 bolt pattern and that's all that's available.

6) What gauge steel is your Box and floor?
- Frame is .120 Wall 2" X 1"
- Box is thin (16 guage?)aluminum over a frame. Floor is 1/8" tread plate.

7) Fully boxed frame or C -Channel? - Boxed

8) What hitch system? Pintle? Max Coupler? - Max Coupler

9) What size tires? - 35"

- Track width - 78"
- Overall length - 130"
- Distance from hitch to axle - 92"
- Tongue weight loaded and empty - Empty 75 lbs. 9% of total. Loaded ?
- Does it sway or bounce empty or loaded? - No

medic83

Observer
Thank you!! I totally agree. Thx for your reply. Those added questions are great too! Thx. Was stunned by your weight, but I forgot I read your thread already... aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles