Camp chairs

refried

Adventurer
I bought two of these from Alps 5 or 6 years ago and they're still holding up well, I highly reccomend them.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/tomrefried/tietonrally2008025.jpg

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/furniture/chairs/camp-chair-pro-tec
They're a little heavier and don't fold up as small as most other chairs but they are very well made, very sturdy, and very stable. At first I thought they were too big and took up too much room but after sitting in one and feeling how solid they are, they come with us on every trip.

Landroverholic

Observer
Sorry for the late reply.

The reason being despite numerous emails I have heard nothing. Zilch. Nada!!!!!

Will keep you posted.

Callum

just eric

Adventurer
I got a reply from them yesterday. They quoted me $350 each for two Roorkhee chairs and $200 for Fedex shipping to Seattle. That's a little rich for my blood, thanks anyways.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have used the Snowpeak a many times. They are extremely well put together. The set ups in lightening fast. For me they are quite comfortable, but I imagine the larger you are the less comfortable they would be as the front of the seat would force your legs together.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
You may want to wait and see if you like the new chairs Mike from Autohome is coming out with.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6629-Chairs-in-the-Overland-Journal-Spring-2007/page5

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78788-Mystery-Chair-Identification

Chairs.png

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have used the Snowpeak a many times. They are extremely well put together. The set ups in lightening fast. For me they are quite comfortable, but I imagine the larger you are the less comfortable they would be as the front of the seat would force your legs together.

I did order a tall back as I like to relax with my head supported :) I do know the new R version of the SnowPeak chair has been redone to be more comfy ? so hoping REI delivers the correct new version !

those look promising will be keeping my eye out for sure

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I am 6'5" and 260lbs. I got tired of the low sagging seat of most bag chairs. They lasted about 3 years each and were hard to get out of since they sit so low.
I saw a Coleman Max chair at wally World. It is taller, wider and says it can hold 400lbs....Well it has worked well for me for the last 3 or 4 years now. It has a taughter seat than the smaller designs and I find it very comfortable and easier to get out of.
Darrell

Honu

lost on the mainland
got a SnowPeak high back chair to try out
problem is it had a crack or cracked when testing ? not sure which
the crack was near the left side back arm rest joint area

so comfort wise
the angle is quite back way farther reclined than any other camp chair I have tried but its very comfy for taking a nap kind of chair and supports the head very well with its tall back !
the alps comfort chair or whatever it is called is much more upright with a small lean back to it
so around the campfire unless you would be the one guy not joining the conversation and looking at the stars !! the alps chair I have you would be in the conversation !
also the alps I can cook from with the table height legs on the IGT setup the SP high back leans back to much for this
also the Alps chair to rest my head I have to slide down in the chair some ! I really wish it was about 6 inches taller ! I am just shy of 6 foot

my wife could not put her feet up on a foot rest and sit comfortably she said it dug into her legs to much ! me on the other hand found it very comfy that way and while I felt the fabric under my legs it was not uncomfortable at all

sitting relaxed and letting your feet slide out the fabric dug into my legs with a pain that bugged me after about 5 minutes !
with feet near the chair so my legs were more in a upright position the chair was super comfy !

pack size I loved !!! the frame was super compact the canvas goes on and off super easy I wish all camp chairs were this light and compact !!!!

so not sure the crack thing kinda freaked me out a bit or was it cracked did I get a bum one ? dont know ???

for all the camp chairs I have tried quite a few I still have and love the alps as a good overall chair !
the SP was more comfy in kick back mode feet up for me the most comfy camp chair I have ever tried !!!! (I still have to try the coleman patio sling) and I am sure their might be some others out there ?
in sitting mode with feet up near the chair it was the most comfy camp chair I have tried !

with feet out it was one of the more uncomfy chairs ?

so its a true love or hate for comfort with going from one of the most comfy to the least comfy just letting your feet slide out in front of you ?

without the crack I would have returned it for that reason ! I want a comfy chair that packs as small as it can but one I can eat from relax in front of the fire it has to pack up to a smaller round long style pack not a fold type that ends up being a big square

since I could sit one way and be comfy and the wife was uncomfy and vice versa I would say for anyone trying to find the ultimate comfort lounger knowing its a lounge chair not a dual purpose eat also chair check it out and try to get ahold of one to try !! cause in that lounge mode it was truly the most comfy camp chair I have tried out !!!!!

if I had my trailer I would have got a new one and kept it around as a second chair ! now the trailer is gone I can only afford to pack one chair for wife and I and it has to do dual purpose

hope this rambling helps someone

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
If the SP cracked that easily it means something was wrong from the get go. It should probably go back as a defective unit.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah agree why I think it was defective most likely or maybe damaged in shipping ? the box was in really really rough shape and since it was on the longer part could have been stressed in some ways

why I say anyone wanting a lounge chair should try them out :) I can say the quality was really really nice and typical of what I am finding with SP stuff

mgeiger

Observer
I've lucked out with a $30 Coleman for 10 years. Camping, races, beach - including surf fishing in the damn thing IN the water. The rivets are rusted out. The fabric is breaking down. But I keep going back to it, even though I've tried to replace it. Glad to know there are decent chairs out there for when the time comes.

Kharn

We have two of the Colemand 300lb bag chairs from Walmart, with my ~280lb fat butt, I've bent the front pivot rivit on each chair to almost to 30 degrees (after only ~2 weeks of usage over one season) and I doubt they'll last much longer in their current condition. Maybe I can replace the rivit with a machine screw, washers and lock nut...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior