Snow Peak IGT gas grill & Snow Peak reviews and tweaks

Honu

lost on the mainland
So found something out today
We have a Ikea wall unit model is Besta
Most buy nicer looking taller furniture type feet :) well I keep all my spare ikea parts :)
So
The stock feet fit the legs of the snow peak stuff perfect :) the cool thing is they are wide like these
ck-106-1.jpg

So I now have some nice free feet for soft ground :)
Got to love ikea and snow peak :)

Hafwit

Adventurer
Have you tried out your Magma with the IGT enough to get a feel for it? I'd like to know how that combo is working out.

Cheers,
Greg

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think I have a good feel now used it a bunch around the home and on trips

This past weekend we had a burn ban going on so I had to leave the charcoal at home which was a great test for being forced to change my normal cooking style and try my burn ban alternate and can say I am very happy with my setup !
I had thought of getting a second charcoal but now am happy with my single charcoal single gas dual cast iron setup !
Family of four no group cooking

Physical
I love the fit inside being one space wide exactly and the height weight is good
The way I did it I can take the lid off or keep it on when its on I have to press the sides in a bit to get it to open though ? Not a big deal as I tend to grill lid open I do have a fix thought if I want just a shorter L channel and another washer for spacing and it will clear

Performance
Flare ups are a bit more than charcoal but manageable
Example corn on the cob I usually make a olive oil butter garlic chili powder mix and lather them for the grill ! I grill husks off
I had to back off a bit how much I put on to start
Steaks can flare a bit more than my large gas grill or charcoal
Again not a huge issue but if I had to think pros cons
I do wish it got a bit hotter to leave better marks or do a bit more crust ?
I have a good grill at home so used to really good power or charcoal
For me not a issue but if you plan on steaks etc... That would be Good to know

I think I have a old frozen steak maybe I should cook it post a pic :)

So maybe say I wish it was a touch hotter but my corn has nice color and some nice roasty dark spots
Steaks wont have nice grill marks So lacking but still gets done and is great
I have to remember its a tiny grill :)

Now all that said I dont plan on cooking steaks on it but wanted to try it out
With a ban going its great option and without its a great option

How I use it veggies such as whole peppers do better on the grill than on cast iron grill
Steaks I can get killer grill marks on cast iron and transfer to the grill to finish up
Hot dogs for kids lunch :) grill is awesome does a killer job !
Flap meat or small chicken grill does fine but I sometimes prefer cast iron and have the corn on the grill
Hamburgers this week some nice kobe burgers I did on the cast iron griddle but hot dogs for the kids on the grill !
Another use I make a foil tray and tent and can put the grill on low and transfer cooked stuff to it keep it toasty warm till everything is done

So this last week I tried a few things with it I would usually not use it for and it did the job just not as good as charcoal or a super hot grill but again have to remeber its a small grill and I have better methods :)
I used it how I planned to and it was indispensable

On a IGT table having a 1 space gas grill 2 space griddle Durring a ban is sweet :)

Hope this long rambling helps :)
Any specifics you are curious feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Take Bamboo Chair Long LV-081R

got a SnowPeak high back chair to try out
problem is it had a crack or cracked when testing ? not sure which
the crack was near the left side back arm rest joint area

so comfort wise
the angle is quite back way farther reclined than any other camp chair I have tried but its very comfy for taking a nap kind of chair and supports the head very well with its tall back !
the alps comfort chair or whatever it is called is much more upright with a small lean back to it
so around the campfire unless you would be the one guy not joining the conversation and looking at the stars !! the alps chair I have you would be in the conversation !
also the alps I can cook from with the table height legs on the IGT setup the SP high back leans back to much for this
also the Alps chair to rest my head I have to slide down in the chair some ! I really wish it was about 6 inches taller ! I am just shy of 6 foot

my wife could not put her feet up on a foot rest and sit comfortably she said it dug into her legs to much ! me on the other hand found it very comfy that way and while I felt the fabric under my legs it was not uncomfortable at all

sitting relaxed and letting your feet slide out the fabric dug into my legs with a pain that bugged me after about 5 minutes !
with feet near the chair so my legs were more in a upright position the chair was super comfy !

pack size I loved !!! the frame was super compact the canvas goes on and off super easy I wish all camp chairs were this light and compact !!!!

so not sure the crack thing kinda freaked me out a bit or was it cracked did I get a bum one ? dont know ???

for all the camp chairs I have tried quite a few I still have and love the alps as a good overall chair !
the SP was more comfy in kick back mode feet up for me the most comfy camp chair I have ever tried !!!! (I still have to try the coleman patio sling) and I am sure their might be some others out there ?
in sitting mode with feet up near the chair it was the most comfy camp chair I have tried !

with feet out it was one of the more uncomfy chairs ?

so its a true love or hate for comfort with going from one of the most comfy to the least comfy just letting your feet slide out in front of you ?

without the crack I would have returned it for that reason ! I want a comfy chair that packs as small as it can but one I can eat from relax in front of the fire it has to pack up to a smaller round long style pack not a fold type that ends up being a big square

since I could sit one way and be comfy and the wife was uncomfy and vice versa I would say for anyone trying to find the ultimate comfort lounger knowing its a lounge chair not a dual purpose eat also chair check it out and try to get ahold of one to try !! cause in that lounge mode it was truly the most comfy camp chair I have tried out !!!!!

if I had my trailer I would have got a new one and kept it around as a second chair ! now the trailer is gone I can only afford to pack one chair for wife and I and it has to do dual purpose

hope this rambling helps someone

Honu

lost on the mainland
just ordered a Partner Steel stove :)
custom lid with no hinges etc. no handles no latches the extra bar on the burner grates and going to do some work so it can drop in to the IGT :)

got to say customer service was great when calling while he was not familiar with SP stuff mentioning my wants including a bottom port for the gas which he said he could do the downside was that it might stick out 5/16 of a inch ? so decided for the side ! which will work out fine but did not want the exposed threads getting damaged in any way

was going to get the two 9 inch but he said a griddle it might rock in the middle with the hinges so I would have to put some extra rod on both ends to raise the griddle some ! so decided to pass on that setup and just get the 18 inch ! did not want the 22 as I want it to fit within 2 spaces on the IGT

cant wait to get it and get it into the IGT :)

Sawyer

Adventurer
Looking forward to what you come up with!!! BTW after talking with you and Spresso... I took the plunge for a Magma gas grill. It worked great for feeding 9 down in Baja on it's first run!!!

Honu

lost on the mainland
glad the magma worked out :) what size model did you get ?
they are top notch stuff for sure any pics :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Blending the IGT with a propane BBQ grill

Great thread, bumping this up as I am currently modifying a propane BBQ grill to fit my IGT. I'm also looking at a way to convert the Snow Peak BBQ box to propane, all a guy has to do is add a burner.

After cooking at several large overlanding events I have decided that I am over charcoal. It's messy, can be dangerous, finicky, and takes too much time to fool with. It's great to cook on once it's going but it's just too much work and when I'm on a trip I want relaxation.

I'll post pics soon of my IGT and propane grill with the new double wide cutting board from Overland Gourmet ;)

Honu

lost on the mainland
look forward to the pics of the cutting board and what you do with the gas setup :)

I do know that one other magma that has the infared burner is looking pretty cool :) I still love my charcoal but with so many burn bans etc. its harder to rely on it ?

I had thought of making a gas conversion I could pull in and out of the charcoal box :) since magma makes so many good stainless parts might be a way to do it from those parts :)
maybe a infared conversion :) hmmmmmmmm

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yes, lots of potential. Converting a BBQ Box is very easy really, it's just sourcing the right burner and mounting it.

BTW, you should ask the mods to move this tread into the overland chef section with the rest of the great Snow Peak threads ;)

targa88

Explorer
Great thread, bumping this up as I am currently modifying a propane BBQ grill to fit my IGT. I'm also looking at a way to convert the Snow Peak BBQ box to propane, all a guy has to do is add a burner.

After cooking at several large overlanding events I have decided that I am over charcoal. It's messy, can be dangerous, finicky, and takes too much time to fool with. It's great to cook on once it's going but it's just too much work and when I'm on a trip I want relaxation.

I'll post pics soon of my IGT and propane grill with the new double wide cutting board from Overland Gourmet ;)

Curious to see the outcome ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior