Jeep Hybrid Conversion

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
I just saw this youtube video from SEMA2011. Did anyone that went happen to see these guys? Has anyone ever seen this before?

jdzl

I'll take one! Sounds a little too good to be true...

How much?
How heavy?
When?

Kind've reminds me of the $20 venturi things they sell/sold at Autozone and the likes.

The company website http://xtremepower.com doesn't seem to have anything related to this project - but I didn't look too hard.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Here is a link to an article with more details and photos.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...pril_2012_randys_electrical_corner/index.html

Its something that is possible to do - others offer DC motors which can be installed "in place" of a section of the rear driveshaft which would allow hybrid operation. There will be more of these around IF the battery technology continues to improve - the electric motor and power electronics are the available and reliable part these days.

There seems to be some "smoke and mirrors" when it comes to xtreme power's battery technology - they like to call it a "chemical capacitor" while its really a type of advanced lead acid battery actually. I think its just a reality of getting money from investors - describing it as an improved version of old technology just doesn't seem as sexy...

jdzl

Thanks for the link - interesting pictures. Hard to tell how far into the cabin the battery pack protrudes (if at all).

I think what's a bit fishy is - has anyone seen one actually move? Why not post a video of that? Surely would get a bit more interest / potential investment that way. I don't need to see how it works, just strap it to a dyno and show us the plot already.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link - interesting pictures. Hard to tell how far into the cabin the battery pack protrudes (if at all).

I think what's a bit fishy is - has anyone seen one actually move? Why not post a video of that? Surely would get a bit more interest / potential investment that way. I don't need to see how it works, just strap it to a dyno and show us the plot already.

I agree - that installation of the DC motor is pretty poor looking - there is not much room on that rear driveshaft in a JK. I have seen this done on a F150 and a sprinter but there is much more driveshaft length to work with there. With the amount of torque they are claiming the motor needs to be very well attached to the frame...

To me the real question is whether the installation will survive off road and how many years will the batteries last... I think this is a "demonstrator" of the concept at this point.

There is a PDF of the system for a F150 available - but its doesn't give much details - nothing on the system for a JK though...

http://www.xtremepower.com/downloads/xp_specsheet8-350.pdf

jdzl

So the batteries weigh 250 lbs, good for 20 miles, and 4-8 hours to recharge.

There's major confusion about whether the 4wd works or not - even from the guy that built it.

They were doing "testing on the electric motor" back in December and the project has basically been silent since then. Oh and they have $120k or so into this Jeep.

Still sounds a lot like vaporware made from unobtanium found on planet bs...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Still sounds a lot like vaporware made from unobtanium found on planet bs...

I think it's in the wild and working on F 150's... so there is no reason it wouldn't be identical on the JK.

Based on how it replaces the rear DS, I'd guess that it can only supply torque to the rear wheels... so in 2 hi, that's fine. In 4 hi/lo, I don't quite understand what would happen... by adding more torque to the DS *after* the transfer case, that makes it easier for the transfer case to turn the rear DS.
I don't know if the transfer case has a basic type "diff" where it will apply more torque to the easier to turn shaft, or if internally it has some kind of LSD to balance that out.

Does anyone understand the internals of the transfer case and how it would be affected by adding torque to the rear DS directly?

Thanks,
-Dan

redveloce

Adventurer
Wrangler transfer cases (at least TJs) are either in 2wd, or locked to 4wd. There is no center differential at all, it is a solid coupling. All wheel drive with a center diff is available on some other models, not positive about the JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles