Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New rider seeks input on purchase

Thanks for the reply Marc, good to hear that these can go 100K. I can't post pics from the ppt he sent but the bike looks good close up. I have to decide if it's a "once in a lifetime" deal that I can't pass up, because if I buy it here I'll have to transport it to MT.
    2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad Double Cab, 6 spd, stock
    Howling Moon glamping penthouse

Definitely not "once in a lifetime." F650s can be found all day long for about $4K, including Dakars. Might be slimmer pickings in MT though. That one doesn't seem out of line, but similar deals (or even better) are always around. Try checking the Flea Market over at ADVrider.com (need to register) or at F650.com (http://f650.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Classifieds&). F650.com is a wealth of info.
    Marc
    95 FZJ 80
    07 BMW XChallenge

OK thanks Marc. I've been on ADV but will also check out F650.com.
    2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad Double Cab, 6 spd, stock
    Howling Moon glamping penthouse

I've got a 2011 Strom and a 2009 KLR.

Both are pretty well decked out but for your type of riding, if the choices are narrowed down to those two, I'd take the KLR. For "trails" such as those found in the Rockies, the KLR was the right tool for the job. I rode some pretty cool trails above Buena Vista, CO using the KLR, three days after I got my moto license and it was no problem. I'd have thought twice about taking the Strom some of the places that I took the KLR.

The Strom was purchased because I found out that "road trip" for me seems to start at 2000 miles and go up from there (I guess thats how it goes when you live in Kansas). I was tired of struggling to go the speed limit into an uphill headwind when trying to cross the Rockies on slab.

BTW... Who said KLRs can't be sexy!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345