New rider seeks input on purchase

Tim A

Adventurer
Bottom line up front: Got the itch for a dual sport bike. Initial research has me leaning towards a 650cc.

Background: My experience is limited to dirt bikes on trails (about 10 years ago) but I have never ridden in traffic on the street. I am moving to Montana in about a month. After we get settled in with work, house, etc I will be ready to purchase a bike. I would buy a bike to mostly commute on but also to access forest roads/trails on the weekends. I think a 650cc would be small enough for me to handle, yet big enough for me to enjoy a couple of years from now, or perhaps forever. I have sat on the Honda 650cc dual sport and was not able to touch the floor with my heels, but it still felt comfortable. Look forward to sitting on the KLR, DR, etc. Probably don't want to sit on a KTM or BMW as I would hate to fall in love only see something that nice get beat up quickly. I don't plan to ride like a maniac, but stuff happens, especially off road. That said, Bimmers are very sexy to me. I am open to new or used bikes, but used is preferred. Budget is flexible.

Question: Anyone have advice contrary to my reasoning? Just looking for a sanity check. I should not buy a 2012 G650GS Sertao as my first bike, should I? :sombrero: Good news is that I am forced to wait a month until I get to Montana, so impulse buying is not an option...been down that road, only leads to regret :ylsmoke:

-Tim

Frank

Explorer
Of course I am partial to the KLR as I have a 2008.

What I like about it is exactly what people will say about it. Its great at nothing, ok at everything. I can cruise down the highway at 70, I can have a blast down dirt roads, its very easy to work on, lots of aftermarket support for it, they are proven to be round the world travelers, they can be found cheap, they are very forgiving, I think they are a great 'first bike' (they have for me and my 2 brother in laws...we will have 3 in our family as of this coming Sunday), it can be comfortable, and it can be as stock or as modified as you want it to be.

That said, I have done a LOT to my bike to make it what I feel is a great bike:
Cogent Moab rear shock/Eibach spring
Race-tech emulators/progressive springs
Modified carb
Modified airbox/filter

Handlebar risers
Exhaust
Moose pegs
Moose shift lever
Happy-trail windshield relocate/dash
Happy-trail LED tail light
Pak-meister panniers
Pack-rat rack

-things I still want-
crash bars
seat
full LED system

Those things I have bolded, I feel are must-do's to the bike. The bike opens up big time when you uncork the carb and exhaust. Some disagree with my opinion on the suspension, I say to each their own.

There are lots of things on the web about the KLR that I have mixed feelings on. -lots of 'reports' about KLR 'defects' can be found. Read those and you can form your own opinion. Talk to a random guy on a KLR at a gas station and they will have no clue about what you are talking about.

All of this said, there are many KLRs on the road that have many miles and trips on them that are problem free and 100% stock.

I have a thread on this forum (click my KLR in my signature below) that displays my bike. I will be updating this very shortly.

-Frank

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I should not buy a 2012 G650GS Sertao as my first bike, should I?

-Tim

If that's what you really want -- why not? My first bike (after not riding for +/- 20 years) was a brand new 650GS. I rode it for a couple years (25K miles), then sold it for $500 less than I paid for it. It was a fun bike, did everything I wanted it to (including the TAT), but really excelled at little (kind of like a KLR - but with a lot more power, better fuel economy, & a smoother engine). If you are unsure about what you really want - I'd suggest a less expensive bike. Honda, Suzuki, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting both heels on the ground. You'll get over that pretty quick. I'm on my toes on both my GS & Husaberg - and about the only time it really is a bit of a bother is when I'm trying to turn around in a tight spot (end of the trail, blocked road, etc) that requires me to push the bike backwards.

Tim A

Adventurer
Of course I am partial to the KLR as I have a 2008.

-Frank

I think the KLR is the smart choice for me. I like what I hear about do-it-all, legendary toughness plus the good aftermarket support. The '12 KLR is a nice looking bike too. I like the blue/white/black combo personally.

Did you end up with alu panniers? I was thinking I'd like those and some crash bars as the first mods to whatever bike I get. To me, engine/intake/exhaust mods would be way down on the list, but to each his own.

Tim A

Adventurer
If that's what you really want -- why not? My first bike (after not riding for +/- 20 years) was a brand new 650GS. I rode it for a couple years (25K miles), then sold it for $500 less than I paid for it. It was a fun bike, did everything I wanted it to (including the TAT), but really excelled at little (kind of like a KLR - but with a lot more power, better fuel economy, & a smoother engine). If you are unsure about what you really want - I'd suggest a less expensive bike. Honda, Suzuki, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting both heels on the ground. You'll get over that pretty quick. I'm on my toes on both my GS & Husaberg - and about the only time it really is a bit of a bother is when I'm trying to turn around in a tight spot (end of the trail, blocked road, etc) that requires me to push the bike backwards.

Are there any cost of ownership issues with BMW? (expensive parts, expensive scheduled maintenance, etc) I bought an Audi while stationed in Germany and I thought the maintenance was ridiculously overpriced, but I wanted to get that dealer stamp in the book.

sandalscout

Adventurer
I think the KLR is the smart choice for me.

I started with an XT250 and was quite happy with it, really happy with it for several months. I didn't realize how much I had outgrown it until recently, and then literally in a weekend decided I NEEDED something bigger. I had a new-to-me KLR in the garage within 4 days, a 2001 with 14k miles on it for the low-low price of $1200. I have only put about 300 miles on it since I got it last week, but I'm REALLY liking it.

I don't think it's my answer to all of the riding that I want to do, but I plan to replace my XT with something that fits me better (taller and less cramped). I plan to sell or trade my XT for a DRZ400 or something similar in size, weight and power. The KLR is going to remain close to stock and be setup as my commuter (55 miles each way) and for touring duty, capable of dirt roads and the like, and the smaller bike will be my close-to-home dual sport bike that will let me attack more aggressive rides.

2 years ago, I didn't think that the KLR would have been a good bike for me, but looking back, I almost wish I had started on one.

prince_ruben

As an Audi and GS owners I've learned to do it all myself. I couldn't fathom the cost of the dealer stamp. If ever I had to sell, talking to the potential owner about the hands on aspect of the service coupled with my own documentation on mileage and tools needed would be advantageous.

That being said the 1200 GS does it all for me. I had a 650 Dakar that was awesome too and only complained about the looks but it did great on mpg and comfort. I wished I kept it and modded it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Are there any cost of ownership issues with BMW? (expensive parts, expensive scheduled maintenance, etc) I bought an Audi while stationed in Germany and I thought the maintenance was ridiculously overpriced, but I wanted to get that dealer stamp in the book.

I haven't experienced anything out of line - but all my BMWs are/were under warranty. I have no doubt that BMW is proud of many of their repair parts - but the very few things I've bought (couple brackets, filters, etc) weren't out of line. The service interval is 6,000 miles - so even if it costs twice as much to service a BMW, if you're doing it half as often, it's a wash. I typically do the basic service myself.

The cost of entry is significantly higher with a BMW than a KLR (new or used) - but of course on the far end of the deal, resale value is much better on a BMW too.

Service may be harder to find with the BMW as well. Particularly if you're taking it into areas that are a long way from a big city - expect that to be even worse when you leave the US (if you plan to). I see a lot of Mexico plates at the dealer in Tucson - simply because this is the closest dealer.

Frank

Explorer
Did you end up with alu panniers? I was thinking I'd like those and some crash bars as the first mods to whatever bike I get. To me, engine/intake/exhaust mods would be way down on the list, but to each his own.

Most of the carb mods are very cheap to perform and the return is great. Exhaust...well, those can be $$$

Yes, my panniers and rack are patiently waiting on me in my garage. Im hoping to have it together this weekend.

On the 2012s, the price of them are a bit salty in my opinion. We can blame a typhoon and the yen to dollar rate on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I would buy a bike to mostly commute on but also to access forest roads/trails on the weekends. I think a 650cc would be small enough for me to handle, yet big enough for me to enjoy a couple of years from now, or perhaps forever.

I think in determining the bike you want/need, you need to have a realistic idea of how/where you are going to ride. There's a huge difference between forest roads and technical single track. On the flip side, does your commute or anticipated riding include sustained speeds over say 65? If your riding includes single track and interstate, then 650 thumpers are great because they can handle those extremes. Handle, not excel.

But if your riding is single track and a 5 mile, 45 mph commute then a 650 is probably too big. If your riding is fire roads and frequent highway, I would actually get something like a V-Strom, Versys, etc. Pretty much any motorcycle will handle maintained fire roads. I love my G650X because it does a lot pretty well. It handles highway fine, but if I have a road trip planned, it generally isn't the one I take.

I wouldn't get too hung up an engine size just because you're re-entering the sport. If you get the wrong tool you won't enjoy riding (as much). The bike won't keep you from killing yourself - that's on you.

In terms of cost of ownership, I haven't really noticed a difference. If a dealership is doing all your work, it will be expensive. More exotic bikes may require more maintenance or may be less reliable. But all the bikes you mentioned, including the BMW, are pretty solid and require only general maintenance. Get the one you like. If you're not sure, find a good deal on any bike and ride it for a year. You can then re-sell it at little or no loss and have a better idea what you really want. The Sertao is nice, but so is a 2005-ish F650 Dakar at half the price (and a bit more of a track record).

Last edited:

Tim A

Adventurer
Realistically, I'll be staying away from single track if possible. I'm interested in streets/wider forest service roads. Singletrack is fun, but I'll stick to a mtn bike for technical riding.

For maintenance, I'd prefer to do it all myself but would be OK with getting the dealer stamp for the scheduled work (resale value). Do BMW bikes require special tools to perform general maintenance? Also, is there a comprehensive repair/maintenance manual available for BMW?

Marc, the Dakar seems to be in high demand and is a bike I'm definitely interested in. Being an F650, it's a dual cylinder right? What are the advantages of the F over the G650 besides power?

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah i say definatly get what you want, nothing worse than buying a bike then wanting something different 6 months down the road, i went from riding 250CC enduro bikes to a 650 DL650, first time ever riding on the road, took a bit of getting used to but i dont regret it, i love my bike. i test rode a F800GS, they are great bikes but i wanted something a bit lower.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Marc, the Dakar seems to be in high demand and is a bike I'm definitely interested in. Being an F650, it's a dual cylinder right? What are the advantages of the F over the G650 besides power?

The F650GS/Dakar is a single cylinder just like the current G650 is. The single cylinder bikes were changed from the "F" designation to "G" when they introduced the parallel twins (which got the F designation).

Tim A

Adventurer
The F650GS/Dakar is a single cylinder just like the current G650 is. The single cylinder bikes were changed from the "F" designation to "G" when they introduced the parallel twins (which got the F designation).

Ah I see, thanks goodtimes

Frank

Explorer
The one BIG thing I dont like about BMW bikes...ok, well 2 things..

1) everything for the bike must be BMW specific. Want to run a PIAA light set up? You gotta buy lights designed for the BMW...you cant just call up a retailer and order a set of piaas and toss them onto the bike. -I used to install PIAA light systems/Sat radios, GPS systems, etc. etc. on BMWs about 10 years ago. It was all proprietary to BMW (and costly)

2) which brings me to point #2. Go through and make a list of things you might want to do to a bike and compare them. -because these 'things' will come a long and it gets addicting. BMW bike stuff is expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles