New rider seeks input on purchase

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
What's the real world return (if any) of a fuel injected bike?

My 650GS (single) averaged just over 70mpg when I rode the TAT in 2008. When I was riding pure freeway (75+mph), it was giving me about 45 - 50mpg.

My 800GS (twin) averages in the neighborhood of 50mpg with mixed riding (city, highway, dirt). Strait freeway (again, 75 - 85mph) comes back in the upper 30's or lower 40's.

I've never calculated the mileage on any of my carbed bikes (half of them don't have odometers, and I rarely ride those that do).

Tim A

Adventurer
Jeff that looks like an awesome trip! Talk about trial by fire haha. Good to hear about the KLR's carb being OK in altitude. Overall, the apparent ease of maintenance (from what I've read) has me leaning toward EFI.

Goodtimes did your 650GS feel cramped after a couple hours? I was reading a review that mentioned the way the seat and the footpegs were positioned, it made for a weird riding position.

I sat on a Sertao yesterday. I like the dashboard layout. Still want to check out a Vstrom and KLR.

Cody1771

Explorer
Jeff that looks like an awesome trip! Talk about trial by fire haha. Good to hear about the KLR's carb being OK in altitude. Overall, the apparent ease of maintenance (from what I've read) has me leaning toward EFI.

Goodtimes did your 650GS feel cramped after a couple hours? I was reading a review that mentioned the way the seat and the footpegs were positioned, it made for a weird riding position.

I sat on a Sertao yesterday. I like the dashboard layout. Still want to check out a Vstrom and KLR.

all depends on what you want, i really wanted a KLR until i rode on. i didnt like the lack of power, kind of like driving a tractor, will go through anything but not much fun IMO, i liked the BMW's but to be honest i really do spend more time on roads and fireroads, the Vstrom fit me perfectly

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Honestly, I'm probably not the guy to ask about that. I'm short (5'6", 30" inseam), but just about everything feels cramped to me.

I had to raise the bars on the 650, and on the 800 as well. While neither of those made me feel like a circus bear on a bicycle (although my girlfriends DR200 does), they were a bit on the small side, IMO. Of course, my Husaberg (FE600) feels that way too - and it has a 38" seat height.

Even my mountain bike (Specialized rockhopper pro) is "too big" for me (according to the sizing guides & the LBS), but it feels just a touch small. I dunno - I just like to stretch out I guess . . .

A

agavelvr

all depends on what you want, i really wanted a KLR until i rode on. i didnt like the lack of power, kind of like driving a tractor, will go through anything but not much fun IMO, i liked the BMW's but to be honest i really do spend more time on roads and fireroads, the Vstrom fit me perfectly

I'de have to agree about the KLR being a tractor. It is not a nimble beast. It not easy to lift while loaded. It is not sexy. It is not expensive. But, legend has it that it is bullet proof.

I stranded mine in 18" of snow on March 10th. Had I not turned my rear tire into a racing slick, I think it would have pushed right on thru. Today, April 22nd, I finally had time to go retrieve it! In the passing weeks, it was burried by up to 3 feet of new snow, pounded by wind driven rain, and experienced large swings in temperature. When I got to the place I stashed it, I turned the fuel on and hit the start button. Fired right up and looked like I had just parked it! Growing up on a ranch, my tractor never let me down either ;)

That being said, I'm not neither married to the KLR nor lusting for something different. I bought it on a whim for the trip I linked earlier. I found out that it worked for my intended purpose and had a good time riding it. If I find something else to try, I'll buy it. Until then, the KLR sits ready for adventure or plowing. Too bad it doesn't have a PTO.

Tim, good luck with picking a new bike. Whatever you get, you're going to have a blast in big sky country.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The thing about the KLR and the G650GS (and the older F650), is they pretty much come "adventure ready". They have big tanks, a decent seat, and can handle dirt or highway. And with the KLR, the buy-in is cheap - even new. The BMW is a bit more money, but you get FI and potentially ABS. But both are turn key ready and reliable adventure bikes. Meanwhile, other similar bikes tend to need a bit more prep like bigger tanks and better seats (DR, XR). It would be nice if Yamaha would bring the Tenere over here to give yet another adventure ready alternative.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
You can't go wrong buying either the KLR 650 or an F-G 650 Dakar/Sertao. Both are fine bikes that are perfectly happy on soft roads. Both are reliable and easy to maintain for home mechanics. Yes the BMW has FI and a computer, but you will seldom need to read those codes and if you do there is code reader available. Both have copious aftermarket suppliers so all the farkles that your credit card can support are at a click of a mouse. Both have extensive communities of owners who are more than willing to help.

Buy the one you like and don't look back.

Jim

Tim A

Adventurer
I'd love to find a pre-farkled BMW. From what I've read, all models have had their issues. The F650/Dakar single has a water pump thing (I think it was the water pump) and the F twins have an alternator issue. If I bought a used one I'd try to get some kind of warranty I think. Overall though, most think BMW makes a pretty reliable bike, from what I've read.

I like this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2972035160.html

Last edited:

Tim A

Adventurer
Can I get some advice on this Dakar? 48K miles seems high, but I may go look at it. It comes with some nice farkles.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2973759093.html

Below is the seller's reply, I asked him about service records and if he has had to replace the water pump:

Tim - See pics in ppt. I took them before the tire swap. The panniers are
happytrails. Water pump is still the original. I have done all preventive
maintenance and upgrades for the past 20k. See a list below of all the
other extras... I have a bunch of spare parts to through in as well. Hit
me up or give me a call if you have anymore questions.

- happy trail panniers
(http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-Dakar-G650GS/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-
F650GS-Dakar-G650GS.aspx $709.00)

- wolfman Rainier tank bag
(http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/Rainier-Tank-Bag__WOLM217.aspx $159.99)

- MKII Pivot pegz (http://www.happy-trail.com/PivotPegz-Mark-2.aspx $149.99)

- Touratech Torx T45 Oil Filler Cap/ Stick
(http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/403/PN-300-0200/Torx-T45-Oil-Filler-Cap-
F650GS-to-2007-and-G650GS $39.50)

- tinted bouble (http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2229 $251.69)

- will come with spare set of metzler tourance tires (20% frt / 70% rear)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
That price seems about right if it is in good condition. Perhaps a touch high, but given the extras, I wouldn't hesitate if I felt it was in good condition and well maintained 48K certainly isn't low miles, but these Rotax singles can go 100K. The plus side is that it shows the bike is get ridden and is not sitting. Condition/maintenance is far more important than mileage IMHO. I would ensure the fuel injection is smooth. Early F650s (01-02) had some issues with the FI not being very smooth. I don't think this was universal and I think there were a variety of fixes. Given the mileage, I'd expect it's fine.

With any used bike, stuff will likely come up sooner (rubber bits, bearings, etc). But that just comes with a used bike.

Tim A

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply Marc, good to hear that these can go 100K. I can't post pics from the ppt he sent but the bike looks good close up. I have to decide if it's a "once in a lifetime" deal that I can't pass up, because if I buy it here I'll have to transport it to MT.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Definitely not "once in a lifetime." F650s can be found all day long for about $4K, including Dakars. Might be slimmer pickings in MT though. That one doesn't seem out of line, but similar deals (or even better) are always around. Try checking the Flea Market over at ADVrider.com (need to register) or at F650.com (http://f650.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Classifieds&). F650.com is a wealth of info.

Stromgewehr

I've got a 2011 Strom and a 2009 KLR.

Both are pretty well decked out but for your type of riding, if the choices are narrowed down to those two, I'd take the KLR. For "trails" such as those found in the Rockies, the KLR was the right tool for the job. I rode some pretty cool trails above Buena Vista, CO using the KLR, three days after I got my moto license and it was no problem. I'd have thought twice about taking the Strom some of the places that I took the KLR.

The Strom was purchased because I found out that "road trip" for me seems to start at 2000 miles and go up from there (I guess thats how it goes when you live in Kansas). I was tired of struggling to go the speed limit into an uphill headwind when trying to cross the Rockies on slab.

BTW... Who said KLRs can't be sexy! :roost:

P1000915.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles