M101a2 Camper Build

WahooJeep

Observer
After years of tent camping with my sons, I started to think about something with a few more comforts.

I have an M416, and was fond of the military style trailer for dragging up mild trails. Then as luck would have it, I found a guy on Pirate selling a camper he had built for a M101a2.

So, I picked up a m101a2 from a surplus guy in PA, and away we go.

Overall theme of this will be low budget and utilitarian. We use a Boy Scout style chuck box for cooking, so we don't need kitchen space or plumbing. The camper will sleep three plus a dog, and storage space for gear.

I've got the trailer and camper, but haven't mounted the camper yet. The paint is in good shape, so I will probably leave it for now.

Long term, I may do an axle swap to get electric brakes. But, in the short run, does anyone know of a source for a cheap spare tire for these trailers?

Trailer and tow rig

IMG_0458.jpg

Camper

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0462-2.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Our kitchen :)

photo-1.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
They're just regular 8 lug GM rims....any salvage yard should have some...or Craigslist.

Nice find, good luck with the project.

Pat

derekrayhall

Did the guy you bought the camper from happen to mention what it came off of originally? I am having a hell of a time matching any sort of lid to the dimmensions of the M101A2.

WahooJeep

Observer
Todays progress was getting the camper onto the trailer. Took much longer than anticipated.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Rear opens like a door

IMG_0490.jpg

Or opens like a hatch for easier loading

IMG_0467.jpg

Interior

IMG_0468.jpg

WahooJeep

Observer
I haven't really done anything inside the trailer. I scrubbed it out pretty good. I've bought some supplies, and played around with google sketch up. but, the rain has halted any real progress.

I picked up a Honda EU2000 generator for it.

I'm having RWF build a tray/box for the tongue to house the generator, battery box, and Jerry cans.

I bought some headliner fabric to cover the inside of the shell.

I've built a bunk for the kids bed, just plywood and memory foam.

I'm planning on something like this fold out sofa for my sleeping platform.

http://www.rbcomponents.com/sprinter-van-equipment/sprinter-van-interior/76in-sofa-sleeper.html

Questions that still need answers are...

What do do for flooring and insulation on the actual trailer part?

Portable AC or window AC with some kind of door system?

Buy an awning, or just rig something up for outdoor shade area?

WahooJeep

Observer
Made some more progress today.

Pulled the flooring our to make the sawdust easier to cleanup, and didn't get any shots with it back in....

This is the "front porch" area. *I went with a pop up canopy. *I'll need to find a way to make it a little taller, so the rain doesn't dump right on the door.

IMG_0515.jpg

I made some new chains for the tailgate so it will lie flat to make for a step area.

IMG_0522.jpg

And I build the sleeping platform/couch for the kids. *It is hinged in the middle so you can fold the back up to an incline for daytime seating and more floor space.

I will sleep on the cot.

IMG_0520.jpg

Rockworks is building the tongue box/tray to hold the battery & Honda generator. *Next step is AC, and interior walls.

WahooJeep

Observer
IMG_0544.jpg

Took the camper on its first test run this weekend at the Wounded EOD Warrior fundraiser at Crozet.

Some things I learned...

AC is awesome on 90 degree days.
AC is cold at night, even on low in a trailer that small. I still need to pack a sleeping bag.
Even if it is installed correctly, the AC will drain back into the trailer if the trailer is parked on a incline with the AC uphill.
The ARB fridge will run for two straight days with almost no impact on the battery.
I need to expand the sleeping platform, because the dog insists on sleeping with the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz