Why the Jeep Wrangler is the new Defender.

jdzl

Are there no plans for the new diesels to require whatever powder / fluid the equivalent of the stuff is that BMW / Mercedes diesels now require? Forget what it's called - but it has to be replenished something like every 20-40k I think...

Clutch

<---Pass
Are there no plans for the new diesels to require whatever powder / fluid the equivalent of the stuff is that BMW / Mercedes diesels now require? Forget what it's called - but it has to be replenished something like every 20-40k I think...

Urea

Clutch

<---Pass
I am seeing more and more Jeep around the world every time I travel, so I predict that better parts availability combined with better reliability would make them a good choice in the future.

Question is, how far into the future, Jeep will be a good choice?

Look at what happens when a American Ford F- Series based Earth Roamer tries and makes the trek, if it breaks...waiting for parts could be a long wait...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still...

...for the size and price of an ER F-Series based vehicle, would be better off in a Mercedes UniMog, for RTW exploring.

There are scores and scores Toyota parts dealers would wide, and not to mention a junk yard or "two" filled with parts....not so with the Jeep...maybe in 50 years time, though.

Then again look at at Gary and Monika...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
That's the one! Thanks. Does anyone know if the 2013 GC will use a system like that?

We in the business refer to it as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).:sombrero: Mercedes calls it AdBlue. And yes it will be required with the upcoming Jeep/Fiat diesel. That is why a pre 2010 diesel is better. But even then...I get 10,000 miles per DEF fillup with my ML350. Throw in a couple of jugs and you will be good to go.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Question is, how far into the future, Jeep will be a good choice?

Look at what happens when a American Ford F- Series based Earth Roamer tries and makes the trek, if it breaks...waiting for parts could be a long wait...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still...

...for the size and price of an ER F-Series based vehicle, would be better off in a Mercedes UniMog, for RTW exploring.

There are scores and scores Toyota parts dealers would wide, and not to mention a junk yard or "two" filled with parts....not so with the Jeep...maybe in 50 years time, though.

Then again look at at Gary and Monika...

Some of us like to drive something unique and different.....if we all drove Toyotas...well...:smiley_drive:

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
I agree with the article. the D90 will always be a badarse truck but I think it has reached it limit. Id buy a new Unlimited Rubicon right now if I could. Id probably buy one over a D90 even if I could afford a D90. it comes down to parts availability, price etc etc. I owned a Discovery 1 for awhile and just couldn't get into it very much and the D90 is similiar to the Disco's with some small changes of course. The D90's are going for over 20K still and to me thats ridiculous for a 90's vehicle used. for 5-8k more I could get a brand new Unlimited Rubicon with better power, lockers and a massive aftermarket support.

jdzl

We in the business refer to it as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).:sombrero: Mercedes calls it AdBlue. And yes it will be required with the upcoming Jeep/Fiat diesel. That is why a pre 2010 diesel is better. But even then...I get 10,000 miles per DEF fillup with my ML350. Throw in a couple of jugs and you will be good to go.

Sounds a lot like blinker fluid. :coffeedrink: What does a fillup go for?

Clutch

<---Pass
Some of us like to drive something unique and different.....if we all drove Toyotas...well...:smiley_drive:

Don't really think a Jeep is unique nor different...since just about everyone and their mother has one...at least here in the States.

...and when the Jeep is broken down in the middle of the Australian Outback...or the Plains of Mongolia, or the Russian Wilderness....I'll betcha the joy of unique-ness goes away real quick...hey, some guys go through life smashing their thumbs with sledgehammers and others don't...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Don't really think a Jeep is unique nor different...since just about everyone and their mother has one...at least here in the States.

...and when the Jeep is broken down in the middle of the Australian Outback...or the Plains of Mongolia, or the Russian Wilderness....I'll betcha the joy of unique-ness goes away real quick...hey, some guys go through life smashing their thumbs with sledgehammers and others don't...

I was referring to my GC CRD...unique in the expedition world.

Your trips above are unique and really take a different attitude and approach. Most of us dream about those trips. But I would take a Jeep Wrangler to all the places you mentioned above. There are guys right now driving Wranglers, Grands and Cherokees around Australia and Russia.

Also driver ability and decision making has a lot to do with where you get and what you break....perfect example is in the for sale section.

FS: 2005 Toyota Landcruiser 105 expedition vehicle in perfect condition.
Price: $200
Landmark: CB antenna sticking out of mud
Purchase conditions: You evacuate the vehicle and then tell me how you managed to do it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76861-2005-Toyota-Landcruiser-105-very-good-condition-200

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I was referring to my GC CRD...unique in the expedition world.

Your trips above are unique and really take a different attitude and approach. Most of us dream about those trips. But I would take a Jeep Wrangler to all the places you mentioned above. There are guys right now driving Wranglers, Grands and Cherokees around Australia and Russia.

Also driver ability and decision making has a lot to do with where you get and what you break....perfect example is in the for sale section.

FS: 2005 Toyota Landcruiser 105 expedition vehicle in perfect condition.
Price: $200
Landmark: CB antenna sticking out of mud
Purchase conditions: You evacuate the vehicle and then tell me how you managed to do it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76861-2005-Toyota-Landcruiser-105-very-good-condition-200

Honestly, while traveling abroad by vehicle...I would pick one that is popular among the locals, so I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb....Russia and Mongolia...would a be 4WD Russian Van, OZ would be a beat up Troopie...Europe, beat up Mercedes Wagon, or Van...something that says. "Driver carries no money...and might be a beggar"

Moab...a Jeep....

img_0114.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree..that is good thinking...

When in Rome...

One could easily drop $70-120K+ on brand new a fully kitted, Jeep, Land Cruiser, G-Wagon what have you...which are
going to stick out in 3rd World countries....could take the same amount of money and buy (sell, or even give it away to a person in need, call it micro-philantropy) several vehicles over the course of traveling. Say....set the budget at $2-3K per vehicle...so when it flips off the pontoons into the drink onto its's roof
during a river crossing in Siberia...you don't beak down and cry...

Last edited:

Nomad110

I don't know...the JKU is certainly awesome and would likely be the truck for me if I didn't have the D-110. But I have to say there is something about the JK that feels generic and a bit fluffy. The Defender feels like a perfectly worn leather glove. It feels built ONLY to do overland travel while the Jeep has a more split personality. No doubt the Jeep will win in cost savings. I have gotten my 110 to a point where it has all of the creature comforts of a modern vehicle (back up camera, heated seats, AC, bluetooth, nav system, etc). I'll be keeping my 110 for a very very very long time. Plus it just makes me smile to look at it. : )

photo8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior