Why the Jeep Wrangler is the new Defender.

Quill

Adventurer
The Wrangler is the one thing Jeep is doing right. Not a new thing. A modernized CJ8. They have the ball and hopefully they run all the way with it.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I love mine, warts and all. It has enabled us to travel as a family to some really exceptional places.

John

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jaxs1984

Adventurer
Since I first purchased my Jeep rubicon in 2009 , it always brings a smile to my face when I get in. It enabled me to explore the backroads of America / National Parks, etc... which I would have never have done before. It literally opened my eyes.

LR Max

Local Oaf
The wrangler has finally become a family vehicle. That is pretty much it. Something you can throw the kids in the back, take the top and doors off, and go. Or at least the concept of doing that (everyone talks about how much camping/being outdoors they are going to be in their SUV, few actually do it). The previous wranglers never had that.

I would recommend comparing it to the sale of crew cab pickups. How many single cab trucks are sold now in comparison to a crew cab? Exactly.

They've also made the Wrangler something that is very nice to daily drive. Nice interior, good climate control, very good sound proofing, etc.

In comparison, Land Rover has found a market selling Range Rovers to rich people. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but their market has shifted. I don't blame them. Why waste time selling a handful of low dollar rustic vehicles to someone who is gonna haggle and keep it forever when you can sell a crapton of expensive vehicles to people who wish to buy a new one every 2 years? Seems like a GREAT idea to me.

I love my rovers, they've got these new JKs figured out. As for the rest of the rest of the jeep line up, the Grand Cherokee is the only other one I recognize. Heard an advertisement for the Jeep Compass on Pandora. The advertisement was showcasing its off road heritage, yet I cannot confirm the vehicle actually has a low range!

Frank

Explorer
Great article but IMO a 2 huge things have been missed.

1) Lack of Land Rover dealerships. Part of my day to day job is to call dealerships (Land Rover included) -I can call all of the dealerships across the US in less than a day. Jeep dealerships, it takes me 2 weeks

2) Cost. A D90 10 years ago was nearly the cost of a well prepped AEV JKU today.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I put 86,000 miles on my JK in less than 3 years and never got stranded and never had to baby it.
Yeah, I'd wheel one around the world.

I sure do miss that thing. I hope the new owner treats her right.

TruckLiteDrivingLites010.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The wrangler has finally become a family vehicle. That is pretty much it. Something you can throw the kids in the back, take the top and doors off, and go. Or at least the concept of doing that (everyone talks about how much camping/being outdoors they are going to be in their SUV, few actually do it). The previous wranglers never had that.

I would recommend comparing it to the sale of crew cab pickups. How many single cab trucks are sold now in comparison to a crew cab? Exactly.

They've also made the Wrangler something that is very nice to daily drive. Nice interior, good climate control, very good sound proofing, etc.

In comparison, Land Rover has found a market selling Range Rovers to rich people. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but their market has shifted. I don't blame them. Why waste time selling a handful of low dollar rustic vehicles to someone who is gonna haggle and keep it forever when you can sell a crapton of expensive vehicles to people who wish to buy a new one every 2 years? Seems like a GREAT idea to me.

I love my rovers, they've got these new JKs figured out. As for the rest of the rest of the jeep line up, the Grand Cherokee is the only other one I recognize. Heard an advertisement for the Jeep Compass on Pandora. The advertisement was showcasing its off road heritage, yet I cannot confirm the vehicle actually has a low range!

My 2008 Grand Cherokee has a low range..plus a diesel :ylsmoke:

The new Grand Cherokees with QT2 and QD2 both have a low range...QD2 has a rear LSD. Plus you can get an air activated ride height system.

The new GC has gone ifs/irs

The older GCs models were ifs/straight

Flagster

Expedition Leader
New defender?? IMO unless the jeep begins to be specd like the world trucks as far as engines and payload it is just a similar option...

DesertJK

Adventurer
I had a really awesome Disco. OME, 33's, big roof rack, driveshafts, heavy duty pretty metal parts all over underneath. You get the picture. It was BRG in color and had a rare 5 speed manual. I loved it.

With 200K miles, it needed constant maintenance and care. Yes, it was well built and could have gone another 100K, but not with out some serious love. Little stuff was costing me a lot of money and the down time to get parts was hard to live with. When you have to live with out a driversside door handle for 3 weeks, or and ignotio switch cost $400 and can not be keyed to the rest of the locks, well that just sucks.

I have almost 80K on my 2008 JKU Rubicon. It had some problems right off the bat that the dealer fixed under warranty and it has not be back to a dealership since. Anything I need also fits 20 other Mopar products and is a day away or less at any NAPA or via the internet.

David

LR Max

Local Oaf
My 2008 Grand Cherokee has a low range..plus a diesel :ylsmoke:

The new Grand Cherokees with QT2 and QD2 both have a low range...QD2 has a rear LSD. Plus you can get an air activated ride height system.

The new GC has gone ifs/irs

The older GCs models were ifs/straight

Indeed. Grand Cherokees have always been solid. Personally I think a WJ with some lift and agressive tires is a really good setup. Keep the rest stock.

Will be interested to see how well the new air suspension holds up.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Wow- I didn't say it ... but ... ehem, ... yes I did- if you see my build threads below! I just didn't put it on the home page in print. I'd gotten stoned to death ... if I had done that!
... but it's true.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier