Taco's First Trip to Moab, UT

Brandon###

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years admiring other members' pictures of Moab, and now that we've finally made it here, I can share our pics.

We drove just over 1200 miles from Houston to Moab over 2 days, and we hit up Fins n Things on our first day.

The trail wasn't too difficult, but the Jeeps definitely have the advantage in approach and departure angles. My receiver hitch scraped a few times, and I ended up breaking my trailer light plug/mount.

It's hard to tell in the pic how steep this is, and how tall the ledge is. The receiver hitch caught heck once I rolled over the ledge.
FinsThings022.jpg

My spotter/navigator:sombrero:
FinsThings034.jpg

FinsThings095.jpg

FinsThings093.jpg

FinsThings101.jpg

Pics of Shafer Trail, Top of the World, and White Rim to follow...

Brandon###

Day 3 we hit up the "Top of the World" trail, which is very deceiving. It starts out easy and seems to get more challenging as you go along. It ended up taking us 5 hours to drive the 9.5 miles:Wow1: We were in 4 lo most of the way, and the rear locker was necessary in a couple of spots. Just my .02, I would not attempt this trail in anything running less than 33's or without a locker. Some of the ledges and drops were pretty big.

TopoftheWorld012.jpg

TopoftheWorld011.jpg

TopoftheWorld004.jpg

Scouting ahead
TopoftheWorld005.jpg

My spotter/navigator giving a reference of how big these ledges are:
TopoftheWorld009.jpg

The money shots:
TopoftheWorld024.jpg

TopoftheWorld044.jpg

TopoftheWorld047.jpg

The back side of the loop is definitely worse than the front side:
TopoftheWorld061.jpg

We're going to hit up the White Rim trail tomorrow, and we'll post the pics up this weekend.

gwayms

Observer
some nice pics. I am leaving Houston two weeks from today heading for Moab. First time in the new jeep.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Moab is a special place to say the least....
but my fav is the White Rim and now that it is open again I am looking forward to your pics & thoughts

RockTrout

Fly Fishing & Exploration
Thanks for sharing. We are heading to Moab in a few weeks and real excited about hitting the trails. It has been far too long since I've been down to the area. Anyone have any luck running White Rim with a dog in the car? No pets allowed on the backcountry roads.

austintaco

Explorer
Very cool to see a TX rig out in Moab! I've always wanted to make the trip, and I thought we would make the trip this Summer...until I read that the temps were in 100's out there too. Looks like we will be doing Colorado trails again this Summer, and saving Moab for the Spring or Fall!

No pets on the trails? That will be an issue for us.

GReat photos and perspective of what to expect.

sarahyoung75

Day 3 we hit up the "Top of the World" trail, which is very deceiving. It starts out easy and seems to get more challenging as you go along. It ended up taking us 5 hours to drive the 9.5 miles:Wow1: We were in 4 lo most of the way, and the rear locker was necessary in a couple of spots. Just my .02, I would not attempt this trail in anything running less than 33's or without a locker. Some of the ledges and drops were pretty big.

TopoftheWorld012.jpg

TopoftheWorld011.jpg

TopoftheWorld004.jpg

Scouting ahead
TopoftheWorld005.jpg

My spotter/navigator giving a reference of how big these ledges are:
TopoftheWorld009.jpg

The money shots:
TopoftheWorld024.jpg

TopoftheWorld044.jpg

TopoftheWorld047.jpg

The back side of the loop is definitely worse than the front side:
TopoftheWorld061.jpg

We're going to hit up the White Rim trail tomorrow, and we'll post the pics up this weekend.

I really like your post. Great pics. I hope you enjoyed your expedition. Thanks for posting this information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles